• University of the Arts London

    Have you considered these universities?

    University of Suffolk
    London Metropolitan University
    University of Greenwich
    York St John University
    University of South Wales
    University of Leicester

    Welcome to University of the Arts London

    Bringing together more than 19,000 students from 113 countries, University of the Arts London (UAL) is Europe’s largest specialist art and design university.

    UAL, which received university status in 2004, is made up of six Colleges which were established in the mid-19th and early-20th century: Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts.

    Along with UAL’s range of undergraduate degrees, it also offers more than 65 postgraduate courses and a number of foundation level and short courses too. The focus here is on practice-based teaching and the University employs more than 3,000 academic, research and technical staff. It has recently been ranked in the top 30 UK research institutions for quality of research (REF 2014).

    As well as notable alumni that include the photographer Rankin, artist Anish Kapoor, and fashion designer Mary Katrantzou, 14 of the 29 Turner Prize winners were UAL alumni, as were 11 of the fashion designers named British Designer of the Year and 12 of the 40 artists named as the most promising in The Caitlin Guide.

    Join the conversation

    Courses and fees

    From explorative Foundation courses to specialist, practice-based undergraduate degrees, UAL’s six world-renowned Colleges offer a wide range of art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts courses. UAL hosts the largest postgraduate arts and design community in Europe, and its Colleges offer Masters programmes and theoretical and practice-based research programmes.

    Entry requirements

    Entry requirements vary considerably depending on the course and level of study you are applying for. You can find the exact entry requirements through UAL’s course finder.

    Depending on your course choice you may also be asked to attend an interview or submit a portfolio.

    Want to find out what grades and offers other students applying to UAL have? Join University Connect.

    Tuition fees

    Tuition fees vary depending on your level of study and whether you are a home/EU student or international.

    The following fees are correct for 2015/2016 study year:

    Foundation: home/EU students under 19, free; home/EU students 19-23, £3,900 (+ reg fee). International students or those over the age of 24 should contact the University for more information.

    Undergraduate: home/EU students, £9,000; international students, £15,950.

    Postgraduate: home/EU students studying an MA, £8,000-£9,000; Postgraduate Diploma, £5,340; Postgraduate Certificate, £2,670; international students, £15,950.

    You can access full funding and fees information on the University of the Arts London’s site.

    International students from outside of the EEA (European Economic Area) will be offered international funding and fees that are different to home/EU students. The Home Office also requires international students to have a fixed amount of money to cover accommodation and living costs as well as a Tier 4 visa.


    Each of the six Colleges has its own distinctive feel, but students also benefit from having access to all of UAL’s facilities regardless of which College they attend.

    With everything from state-of-the-art design suites to traditional print studios, University of the Arts London prides itself on the quality of its Colleges’ facilities. Dedicated technical staff are on hand to encourage students to explore new ways of working and to help them get the most from specialist, industry-standard equipment and materials. Students can also access libraries, Learning Zones, cafes, shops and galleries at all UAL Colleges.

    Careers service

    Student Enterprise and Employability (SEE) is on hand to offer online advice about getting a job or setting up your own business, as well as running seminars, networking events and workshops to help students at each stage of their career journey. Through UAL Showroom, the University’s central London gallery, Pulse, a design trade show and UAL Collections, students and graduates can exhibit, promote and sell their work.

    ArtsTemps is UAL’s in-house temp agency where current and recent grads can go to find paid temp work on campus – perfect for getting experience and developing skills while fitting work around your studying. The Creative Opportunities job board can also help you to find paid opportunities in your chosen creative sector.

    You’ll find that each of the Colleges has partnerships and links with creative industry leaders which offer development opportunities and real-life industry challenges.

    International students

    With students from more than 110 countries across the world, UAL has built up a strong network of support for international students studying at its Colleges.

    For example, all international students are guaranteed a place in one of the halls of residence for their first year as long as they apply by the deadline. The University also arranges for students from outside the EEA to be picked up from the airport by taxi the first time they arrive in London.

    Each of the Colleges has an international office that provides support with any queries from prospective students or those already studying at UAL. The staff are fully trained to help with any visa or immigration issues and can also help students to better understand living costs and budgeting.

    The Language Centre offers free English support to any non-native English speaker to help them get the most out of their studies. The Students’ Union, SUARTs, also has a ‘buddy’ scheme that helps to connect students in their first year with existing students.

    UAL has a lot of opportunities for its students to study or undertake a traineeship abroad through both Erasmus+ and non-Erasmus exchanges.

    Library and study facilities

    Each College has its own library that is available for use by any UAL student. These provide a broad range of online and print materials in arts, design and communication, as well as access to more general resources.

    If you’re looking for a more relaxed and sociable space in which to study with your friends, you’ll feel right at home in either of the University’s two ‘Learning Zones’ at Central Saint Martins and London College of Communication.

    From the more technical and specialist bits of kit - think 3D printing to traditional crafts - to the latest digital technology and creative studio spaces, each of the Colleges provides facilities designed to cater specifically for the courses on offer.

    Welfare & financial aid

    Bursaries, scholarships and awards are available for Further Education, Undergraduate and Postgraduate (Taught) students. Some of these are available university-wide and some are College-specific.

    Students have access to a range of confidential services, including mental health, counselling and health advice. UAL’s Disability Service helps students to get the support they need regardless of what course they are on or country they are from.

    Student Advisers are also on hand to talk about anything from funding concerns to immigration and visa matters. They are based across the different Colleges so it is best to make an appointment. There are also helpdesks at High Holborn, London College of Communication and Central Saint Martins where you can get information and answers to all sorts of other questions too.

    UAL’s chaplaincy offers spiritual and pastoral care to students and staff of all faiths and none, as well as running a range of arts and faith events.

    Medical services

    Once you receive your UAL login, you can visit the MyArts Intranet page which will give you more information about registering with a GP.

    UAL has a confidential health advice service that you can contact by phone, email or face-to-face to discuss treatment, prescriptions or health issues. You can also ask them if your medication is licensed in the UK.


    UAL offers a range halls of residence across London which are home to 3,200 students. These are places to relax, study, create and socialise and each hall has their very own dedicated Student Welfare Mentor to offer advice and help with anything that has an impact on your life at UAL.

    If you’d like to rent privately, the UAL accommodation team’s dedicated Private Accommodation Advisor can give you advice and read through rental contracts.

    Wherever you decide to live in London, the UAL Accommodation Services team is on hand to help throughout the year.

    University of the Arts London accommodation

    UAL has a range of student accommodation across the city located near to its six Colleges. Students have the option to select university or privately-owned halls, more traditional or modern facilities, and from simple single rooms with shared bathrooms all the way up to large studio flats. All in all this gives UAL students a lot of choice in terms of location and cost, with rooms starting from £99 to over £250 per week.

    The University will be offering two new halls for September 2015 but demand is high and halls of residence are offered on a first-come first-served basis so it’s important to submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Applications for the 2015/2016 academic year will open on May 6th via UAL’s online system. International, disabled and students under 18 are offered priority.

    The Accommodation Advice Centre is where you can find out all the answers to the questions you have about living in London. To request the 2015/16 Accommodation Guide, you just need to fill out the online form.

    Renting in the private sector

    Instead of halls, you might choose private rented accommodation instead. UAL can help you through its website by providing one-to-one friendly advice, a free rental-contract checking service and free legal advice if you have any problems.

    If you want to live close to your College, here are some tips on where to look.

    Camberwell College of Arts

    Camberwell is in Zone 2 so you should be able to find affordable accommodation nearby. If you are happy to go slightly further afield try Peckham, New Cross and Deptford to the east, Kennington and Oval to the west or East Dulwich and Forest Hill to the south.

    Central Saint Martins

    Its central location and excellent transport links at King’s Cross mean that you can look at many areas in north and east London. If you are studying at Elthorne Road then try looking in Archway.

    Chelsea College of Arts

    Chelsea is an expensive area and rental prices can be very high. However, Vauxhall, Stockwell and Brixton are just short bus rides away.

    London College of Communication

    LCC is based in Elephant and Castle so you can look in this area. Alternatively you have good connections to north London, via the Northern and Bakerloo tube lines, and good bus routes to south London.

    London College of Fashion

    If you are studying at Lime Grove it will be best to find accommodation in west London, whereas if you’re studying at Golden Lane, Curtain Road or Mare Street you might be better off in east London. The High Holborn sites are very central and have good transport links to many places around London.

    Wimbledon College of Arts

    Wimbledon is in Zone 3 and has plenty of places for students to rent. However, if you find it to be a little pricey, it’s worth looking at Tooting, Colliers Wood, Mitcham or Morden.

    Open days

    Open days are a great opportunity to get a good feel for UAL and your chosen College. You’ll get to look around the facilities, get a better understanding of the courses on offer and meet current staff and students. More than just finding out about the academic side of life, you will also get to explore the area and find out what life in London is like.

    Find out more information about UAL’s Open Days.

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE