The Student Room Group

help on drawing a tangent

how do u this . It says draw a tangent
can some help me where and how does it work ? Sorry for title but my exam tomorrow
hurry
I don't understand
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Imrankhan0121
how do u this . It says draw a tangent
can some help me where and how does it work ?

A tangent is a line that just touches a curve at a single point. You drew a tangent, which is good. However, the question is asking for the maximum speed, which is the steepest part of the graph (i.e. the part of the graph that has the steepest tangent) and the tangent you drew is not the steepest. Have another look to see if you can find the steepest tangent and then calculate its gradient to work out the instantaneous speed.
Original post by Chlorophile
A tangent is a line that just touches a curve at a single point. You drew a tangent, which is good. However, the question is asking for the maximum speed, which is the steepest part of the graph (i.e. the part of the graph that has the steepest tangent) and the tangent you drew is not the steepest. Have another look to see if you can find the steepest tangent and then calculate its gradient to work out the instantaneous speed.

Can u help
I don't know what u mean
It's May physic past paper unit 1 edexcel
Can u helpgf
I don't know what u mean

Ff
Can u help
I don't know what u mean

What exactly don't you understand?
What exactly don't you understand?

Why should I draw it
And y?
Why should I draw it
And y?

Speed is distance divided by time. Since we're dealing with a constantly varying velocity, to find the instantaneous velocity you draw the tangent to the curve at the point you want to find out the speed and then you calculate the gradient of that velocity.

Also change the thread title for god's sake.
Speed is distance divided by time. Since we're dealing with a constantly varying velocity, to find the instantaneous velocity you draw the tangent to the curve at the point you want to find out the speed and then you calculate the gradient of that velocity.

Also change the thread title for god's sake.

Okay makes sense
Where should I put the curve

Quick Reply

Latest