The Student Room Group

Maths marking question!

ok in my maths exam, for one of the graph questions where you calculate a gradient, the question said "estimate", which i took literally so when i draw the tangent i rounded the numbers i got. even though my answer is in the range, will i still get 3/3??
Reply 1
If you accurately read off the tangent then rounded and used that to calculate the gradient you should be fine I expect... Tho it dpends on how much you rounded n stuff, and the mark scheme - hard to tell without seeing your answer and the question.
Reply 2
Original post by RedblackVA
If you accurately read off the tangent then rounded and used that to calculate the gradient you should be fine I expect... Tho it dpends on how much you rounded n stuff, and the mark scheme - hard to tell without seeing your answer and the question.

I can word the question-

so basically i drew the tangent, i got 38/2.1 which ended up being 18.(random numbers) but because i read ESTIMATE, i rounded 2.1 to 2 so the answer was 19. I also did this on a question on paper 1 where i rounded 3.9 to 4 for my final answer even tho my graph read 3.9.

i think why im worried about it is because my graph values and answer are gonna be SLIGHTLY different.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by annieg22
I can word the question-

so basically i drew the tangent, i got 38/2.1 which ended up being 18.(random numbers) but because i read ESTIMATE, i rounded 2.1 to 2 so the answer was 19. I also did this on a question on paper 1 where i rounded 3.9 to 4 for my final answer even tho my graph read 3.9.

i think why im worried about it is because my graph values and answer are gonna be SLIGHTLY different.

The markscheme on a read the graph question always gives a range - you'll probably be ok.
Reply 4
yeah i know im definitely in the range- its just wether they notice the small difference between my graph values and my answer and if ill lose a mark for it
The markscheme on a read the graph question always gives a range - you'll probably be ok.
Reply 5
Original post by annieg22
yeah i know im definitely in the range- its just wether they notice the small difference between my graph values and my answer and if ill lose a mark for it

How have you seen the mark scheme?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
How have you seen the mark scheme?

I haven't seen that markscheme - just other markschemes, but they're always similar for that kind of question. They always have a range that's acceptable.
Reply 7
I haven't seen that markscheme - just other markschemes, but they're always similar for that kind of question. They always have a range that's acceptable.

Yes but you don't know what range they'll accept for this question

Quick Reply

Latest