The Student Room Group

If a person crouches, does the net resultant force decrease?

yy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
yy

Shouldn't do as force is unaffected by distance. Like moving down or standing tall gives the same force on a person.
yy

Would you elaborate on the title, I still don't understand the context? :tongue:
Original post by raman_17
Shouldn't do as force is unaffected by distance. Like moving down or standing tall gives the same force on a person.

I see. What about if a person was parachuting, as they were falling in the air would the position that they are travelling in matter?

Original post by Absent Agent
Would you elaborate on the title, I still don't understand the context? :tongue:

As in does the resultant force decrease as a person is hunched/slanted/crouched unlike a vertical position.

Potential synoptic A2 question :smile:
Yes because the centre of mass changes it's velocity and displacement.
If you're talking about the difference in net force before and after crouching then no the net force doesn't change.
Reply 6
I see. What about if a person was parachuting, as they were falling in the air would the position that they are travelling in matter?

As in does the resultant force decrease as a person is hunched/slanted/crouched unlike a vertical position.

I think it would matter as a different angle to the horizontal would reduce, increase or keep the same molecules that are displaced. What exam board are you studying. I'm doing A2 AQA Physics A
I think it would matter as a different angle to the horizontal would reduce, increase or keep the same molecules that are displaced. What exam board are you studying. I'm doing A2 AQA Physics A

OCR A :smile:

I might be a bit retarded here but is the person in some sort of motion that you are taking account of net force?
I might be a bit retarded here but is the person in some sort of motion that you are taking account of net force?

No not at all it is a good question, I may have negated it, envisualize a person is jumping on the spot. I mean if her acceleration is changing, then F = mg-ma, no?
No not at all it is a good question, I may have negated it, envisualize a person is jumping on the spot. I mean if her acceleration is changing, then F = mg-ma, no?

Oh, in that case the force exerted by the person will be F=mamgF=ma-mg as the person has overcome his weight but I don't think the net force on the person has changed though, because once the person has jumped he's isolated as if the earth was to be separated from him, if that makes sense. Though I might not have understood the question.
Oh, in that case the force exerted by the person will be F=mamgF=ma-mg as the person has overcome his weight but I don't think the net force on the person has changed though, because once the person has jumped he's isolated as if the earth was to be separated from him, if that makes sense. Though I might not have understood the question.

interesting. Thank you, it would only be momentarily, and if something like a human - it would be negligible acting in an insufficinet time
interesting. Thank you, it would only be momentarily, and if something like a human - it would be negligible acting in an insufficinet time

No worries but do research it yourself also as I might not be correct. But yes, it will be the moment when the person exerts the force while he's in contact with the earth.
No worries but do research it yourself also as I might not be correct. But yes, it will be the moment when the person exerts the force while he's in contact with the earth.

Thank you :smile:
If the person isn't moving, then the net force is zero. Standing and not moving, net force= zero. Crouching and not moving, net force=zero. Zero=zero, therefore no change in net force.
OCR A :smile:

Ok..... nice.... so how is the specification laid out? is it hard? what is your favorite topic/s in physics? :wink:
Ok..... nice.... so how is the specification laid out? is it hard? what is your favorite topic/s in physics? :wink:

ocr is an easier board than edexcel for sure.

It is fun. Really like SHM/boyles laws/nuclear physics etc.
ocr is an easier board than edexcel for sure.

It is fun. Really like SHM/boyles laws/nuclear physics etc.

WOW I really like SHM and nuclear physics too! My exam board is AQA it's relatively easy but I'm kinda confused on electric fields but cant wait for thermal physics experiments.

By the way what's boyles law? :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
WOW I really like SHM and nuclear physics too! My exam board is AQA it's relatively easy but I'm kinda confused on electric fields but cant wait for thermal physics experiments.

By the way what's boyles law? :wink:

It overlaps well into M3.

Oh yeah magnetic flux and the like is one of the most difficult topics in physics, I intend to thrush that section out, before finishing.

I've kind of finished everything now apart from magnetic fields/electric fields and parts of medical physics :smile:
YOU HAVE NEARLY FINISHED.... WOW, if you are struggling with magnetic flux just ask what help you need and I will try to help you. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest