The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics AS Physics on the Go Unit 1 *RETAKE*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KINGYusuf
I got ninety something

I got 94 I think
Original post by Konanabanana
i did mg downwards and x2 Tensions at angles as shown in the diagram then for the explanation i just said that the weight is split into 2 components and this component is lower than the vertical weight and so the force that the beams have to 2 carry is less so less chance they break....

Did the same however put contact for downards along with mg... would I lose a mark for that?
Original post by HoldtheDoor
Did the same however put contact for downards along with mg... would I lose a mark for that?

there was no downwrds contact force, possibly a reaction force upwards if it spoke about the car on the bridge but i think the question wanted you to assume to car and bridge at point a as one body. the way they mark the free body force diagrams is to minus 1 mark for every incorrect force so you could still get 3 or whatever the marks were.

i just want to see the mark scheme andhopethat boundaries are below 55
there was no downwrds contact force, possibly a reaction force upwards if it spoke about the car on the bridge but i think the question wanted you to assume to car and bridge at point a as one body. the way they mark the free body force diagrams is to minus 1 mark for every incorrect force so you could still get 3 or whatever the marks were.

i just want to see the mark scheme andhopethat boundaries are below 55

Aah, I was just thinking about N3L, so car exerts contact force on bridge as the bridge exerts contact force on car in opposite direction. My bad lol and yes, hopefully the grade boundaries are low. My teacher thinks otherwise, he says it will be high this year... :frown:
I did newtons 3rd law pair for the bridge and the car since there was no normal contact force on the bridge lol idk tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HoldtheDoor
Aah, I was just thinking about N3L, so car exerts contact force on bridge as the bridge exerts contact force on car in opposite direction. My bad lol and yes, hopefully the grade boundaries are low. My teacher thinks otherwise, he says it will be high this year... :frown:

it will probably be high 50s low 60s because most people who are doing it have been doing physics for 2 years like got a B last year and trying to get high A so im probs in better position than those doing it for the first time,thus majority of people will be getting high 50s low 60s so for an A it may well be 58-62 for an A which is scary considering i came out fairly happy today aha
For why the bridge could hold a greater load I talked about the vertical component of tension. Also do you think edexcel will take into account the fact that there are only a2 students when deciding the grade boundary so. How many marks will it be for full ums do you guys reckon?
Also someone do an unofficial mark scheme plox

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crimson1234
For why the bridge could hold a greater load I talked about the vertical component of tension. Also do you think edexcel will take into account the fact that there are only a2 students when deciding the grade boundary so. How many marks will it be for full ums do you guys reckon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they base grade boundaries on the percentage of people within a range of results, i remember my teacher saying for physics it was top 2% get 120 ums 10% is a* 20% a and above so on......
Well ripperoni I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
I am officially screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The highest grade boundary was in June 2010, for full UMS, 74 marks, and for A 60 marks. I'm guessing it may be similar this year.
they base grade boundaries on the percentage of people within a range of results, i remember my teacher saying for physics it was top 2% get 120 ums 10% is a* 20% a and above so on......

for the last question for the 4 mark calculation did u take into account of gpe?
also what did u equate for Epe

so x = 0.5 mv^2 + mgh what did u use for the value of X and how did u get it
Original post by ajaxkiller
for the last question for the 4 mark calculation did u take into account of gpe?
also what did u equate for Epe

so x = 0.5 mv^2 + mgh what did u use for the value of X and how did u get it

I did that. X was 126 for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did that. X was 126 for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

when u did ur multiple choice questions roughly how many of your answers were B
because i ran out of time and guessed B for all
Original post by ajaxkiller
when u did ur multiple choice questions roughly how many of your answers were B
because i ran out of time and guessed B for all

No idea bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Defining viscosity threw me off, as its not something iv'e ever thought to define ...

i put something like 'viscosity is the rate of flow of a fluid' but i don't know if it was looking for something like 'how thick a substance is' what everyone else put?
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
Defining viscosity threw me off, as its not something iv'e ever thought to define ...

i put something like 'viscosity is the rate of flow of a fluid' but i don't know if it was looking for something like 'how thick a substance is' what everyone else put?

It's something along the lines of the resistance to the rate of flow of a fluid

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I also got 25N for the vector diagram. For the youngs modulus one, I wrote find the gradient of the linear section, is that right?
Original post by jay_rob
I got all the answers you said apart from the vector diagram. For the Vector diagram I got a magnitude of 25N and i cant remember the angle.

yeah same
Original post by Year11guy
I also got 25N for the vector diagram. For the youngs modulus one, I wrote find the gradient of the linear section, is that right?

Yeah I got the exact same for the YM bit.

Quick Reply

Latest