The Student Room Group

Gamma Radiation question

My revision guide says "outside the body gamma + beta sources are the most dangerous. This is because they can both penetrate the body and get to delicate organs. Gamma rays are more dangerous as they can penetrate further" but then further on it says "Gamma rays are the least dangerous inside the body, as they mostly pass straight out without doing any damage - they have the lowest ionising power" how can they be likely to damage the organs in the body because they are penetrating yet be least damaging bcz they'll be likely to pass straight through? Thanks in advance x
Reply 1
Not 100% sure but I'll give it my best shot:
Gamma radiation isn't very ionising - This means that it won't form ions (by knocking off electrons). If ions are formed, they could cause damage to the DNA of the cells causing a mutation which could lead to cancer (not always).
Just because it's very penetrable (if that is a word lmao) (it takes a thick block of lead to stop it) doesn't necessarily mean it is the most dangerous.
If we're talking about GCSE Physics radiation topic, alpha is the most dangerous because it is the most ionising however it doesn't travel far (2-3cm in air) so in reality isn't that dangerous outside of the body.
Sorry if I've just confused you more. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emd.15
Not 100% sure but I'll give it my best shot:
Gamma radiation isn't very ionising - This means that it won't form ions (by knocking off electrons). If ions are formed, they could cause damage to the DNA of the cells causing a mutation which could lead to cancer (not always).
Just because it's very penetrable (if that is a word lmao) (it takes a thick block of lead to stop it) doesn't necessarily mean it is the most dangerous.
If we're talking about GCSE Physics radiation topic, alpha is the most dangerous because it is the most ionising however it doesn't travel far (2-3cm in air) so in reality isn't that dangerous outside of the body.
Sorry if I've just confused you more. :smile:

Yeah thank I kinda get what your saying but this bit "doesn't necessarily mean it is the most dangerous." is whats confusing me - bcz the book is saying it is dangerous as they can get to delicate organs
Reply 3
Original post by ASJ_12
Yeah thank I kinda get what your saying but this bit "doesn't necessarily mean it is the most dangerous." is whats confusing me - bcz the book is saying it is dangerous as they can get to delicate organs

Yeah, it can get to delicate organs because it's the most penetrating but in terms of ionising it's not the most dangerous. They use gamma rays for medical tracers and other stuff etc so just because it can get to the organs, doesn't necessarily mean it is definitly going to cause damage to them (it could do though depending on the half-life etc)
Reply 4
Original post by emd.15
Yeah, it can get to delicate organs because it's the most penetrating but in terms of ionising it's not the most dangerous. They use gamma rays for medical tracers and other stuff etc so just because it can get to the organs, doesn't necessarily mean it is definitly going to cause damage to them (it could do though depending on the half-life etc)

Ohhhhhh, thanks so much
Reply 5
Original post by ASJ_12
Ohhhhhh, thanks so much

Np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest