The Student Room Group

How do I convince my 66 year old ex-soviet mother that Wi-Fi won’t give her cancer.

She still has her desktop in the kitchen, plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. She’s had 2 monitors break in the last year, probably because she’s keeping her computer in a room that gets steamy twice a day, every day (she cooks a lot and closes the door so the steam doesn’t go into the rest of the house). I told her to move her desktop into the spare room, she said she doesn’t want wires going from the router to the other room, so I suggested she get a wireless adapter (the USB type you just plug in) and she said no. Her reasoning- she thinks wireless causes cancer. She’s 66 years old, ex-soviet, been using a brick phone since the 90s, I finally convinced her to start using a smartphone only just last year, and she’s been loving it. So when it comes to refusing to have wireless internet on her desktop, this is obviously very contradictory. The reasoning that she gave me is that “a computer is bigger so there’s more cancerous radiation”. I tried explaining to her that all communications devices use radio waves. Every device, same amount, same size, same strength. I showed her diagrams. Big wave safe. Small wave dangerous. Gamma small. Radio wave big. Literally like trying to teach a big baby year 9 science. I sent articles. She still won’t stop screaming at me over the phone that it’s “cancerous radiation” and that she “thinks I’m trying to kill her”. I genuinely don’t know how to reason with her. I would just leave her be and let her live her primitive lifestyle but the consequences of it are causing me issues- I’m now having to travel to her place from uni this weekend, 5 hours there and 5 hours back, £80 in train tickets, to ‘fix it’. Basically just buy her a new monitor and plug it in for her because she can’t ******* do it herself. And it’s obviously going to break again.
Can someone please help me. How do I educate a stubborn ex-soviet boomer on something we covered in year 9 science. Because I have enough ******* issues as a university student, I don’t have time to argue with conspiracy theorists. Thanks.
Reply 1
why do you keep mentioning ex soviet? is that relevant to her thinking? if so you might have to start there
Reply 2
Original post by Nat4695
why do you keep mentioning ex soviet? is that relevant to her thinking? if so you might have to start there

Fairly certain that her upbringing is playing a part in this. Most British boomers don't act like this. Who do you know that is scared of radio waves? No one.
Reply 3
Tell her Stalin invented it or something.
Original post by Yasuda
She still has her desktop in the kitchen, plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. She’s had 2 monitors break in the last year, probably because she’s keeping her computer in a room that gets steamy twice a day, every day (she cooks a lot and closes the door so the steam doesn’t go into the rest of the house). I told her to move her desktop into the spare room, she said she doesn’t want wires going from the router to the other room, so I suggested she get a wireless adapter (the USB type you just plug in) and she said no. Her reasoning- she thinks wireless causes cancer. She’s 66 years old, ex-soviet, been using a brick phone since the 90s, I finally convinced her to start using a smartphone only just last year, and she’s been loving it. So when it comes to refusing to have wireless internet on her desktop, this is obviously very contradictory. The reasoning that she gave me is that “a computer is bigger so there’s more cancerous radiation”. I tried explaining to her that all communications devices use radio waves. Every device, same amount, same size, same strength. I showed her diagrams. Big wave safe. Small wave dangerous. Gamma small. Radio wave big. Literally like trying to teach a big baby year 9 science. I sent articles. She still won’t stop screaming at me over the phone that it’s “cancerous radiation” and that she “thinks I’m trying to kill her”. I genuinely don’t know how to reason with her. I would just leave her be and let her live her primitive lifestyle but the consequences of it are causing me issues- I’m now having to travel to her place from uni this weekend, 5 hours there and 5 hours back, £80 in train tickets, to ‘fix it’. Basically just buy her a new monitor and plug it in for her because she can’t ******* do it herself. And it’s obviously going to break again.
Can someone please help me. How do I educate a stubborn ex-soviet boomer on something we covered in year 9 science. Because I have enough ******* issues as a university student, I don’t have time to argue with conspiracy theorists. Thanks.

This is giving signs of underlying mental health issues - pls get her checked by a healthcare professional. As such you trying to reason with her is not going to help !!
Original post by Yasuda

Just change the system for her. She clearly won't have a scooby how to undo things!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
This is giving signs of underlying mental health issues - pls get her checked by a healthcare professional. As such you trying to reason with her is not going to help !!

What makes you think I have any authority over her lol? You think she's going to listen to me and seek help?
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Just change the system for her. She clearly won't have a scooby how to undo things!

What do you mean change the system?
Original post by Yasuda
What do you mean change the system?

Set her up with a wifi system and take away the ethernet cable. Then tell her if she breaks it again she will need to pay for your train fare back because you can't afford this nonsense.
Original post by Yasuda

I'm a bit confused. In your last thread about your mother (see below) you said that she wouldn't turn the lights on, ate raw food and unplugged the fridge to save money. Yet now she's using a desktop and charging her smartphone. What's going on?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7397020
Reply 10
Original post by threeportdrift
Set her up with a wifi system and take away the ethernet cable. Then tell her if she breaks it again she will need to pay for your train fare back because you can't afford this nonsense.

You want me to steal her ethernet cable, move her computer into another room, and expect her to just give in and comply and do something that she suspects is going to give her cancer? Look dude, this **** makes me angry as hell but I can't do that to someone. I asked how to convince her that radio waves are nothing to be afraid of, not for tips to force someone to comply. She's also more than capable of moving the computer back and buying another ethernet cable for a couple quid. Is this a joke reply or a genuine suggestion? I really can't tell but I'm trying to take you seriously right now
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm a bit confused. In your last thread about your mother (see below) you said that she wouldn't turn the lights on, ate raw food and unplugged the fridge to save money. Yet now she's using a desktop and charging her smartphone. What's going on?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7397020

Student finance came in, I gave her two grand. Am now working 25 hours a week while studying full time to make the money back. She's now happily using electricity and gas again.
Reply 12
Original post by Yasuda

Can you get a powerful extractor fan put in the kitchen to remove the steam?
One of the first rules of IT Support is to provide the customer with what they want and to aim to exceed their expectations.

She wants a working PC in her kitchen, connected via cabled ethernet. So give her that solution.
Buy her a waterproof monitor.
EG:
For this one it looks like you might need an adaptor for the power supply. Check with the seller before buying
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305081903499?hash=item47084c698b:g:1iEAAOSwa1Zk4kck&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Pne0qttl%2FaDZ%2B3xjBQks7txuYhWo8YjzgsAHF3hU%2BaEuJkVSQeoK7RlzGdvbNUSqQMRh83l%2FWJ%2FAWr9d%2FOz4COTFXvFkyNAakjloVN%2Bgnde29XdFrvMcxfFUsWzzAVziPaB5evb9Vskm5CG8eW60RJjGKNmw0qH6FO2gzn6KJbz79okhKYNiwZ4yAQfRbsm4Wy33GfQhg%2FLsEpBn6Dxz2JHOCrHh9MQnyjqT6dGplHqXdjwDh8jDFLTZlyyR%2BaN%2B%2FTDDs5sxc0CaP2nzbk6OC%2F6fhmotrcK6zU6pDQ3Oew4%7Ctkp%3ABFBMjsyOufBi

This monitor is a bit on the small size, but with it being a yachting monitor it should cope well with wet conditions.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314841392236?hash=item494e02646c:g:redface:zIAAOSwEDtlCutS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Kztbd%2BGbxtaZVR%2F6rgarw1dl64TDe12R76L%2BAYpKHRp3sw%2FOheMWU7pKOe%2BiztU4C9YRdS72ULKtZ%2BTJGd%2Fc6JI1mvINbFe1vmYk4nLzThxz1J3uGoWyCv9Yg%2F6DNGgXm27Nhcfz7yuace7geHtVZqBMuCMUg8CNlyPd0qXpOlupzFo2dqzys82XRz%2F%2F35UV8kEjCsmSYGKccmg5tN8MVUgeesS5LPFdgSdxJIPt0hPDkqlXiWHmq88FYgqnqsuqxu14mRU5J0c%2FlCq6CONR7bVzBf0ZwovKMA35gqcSQlS%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4LA47jwYg

Not sure if this is as waterproof as the others, but it should be more rugged than the average consumer monitor, as it's for lab use.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285319372868?hash=item426e5c2044:g:hTEAAOSwFhVkf39K&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwJR%2FsnYQ7W7CtZrWNsPDMOxHFHFiL%2FoVoB%2FQ%2BggmaVpF5%2BZwBTBoZXlr7U%2FnAKNQE4z%2FGipp6QVw1mwR9dzdpF3t7BB%2Bfo0tyfionFzXB64q8VwskuopYLVrzaaZm4dBOZ67F%2B1Qr5iYs%2BpJ13tYYnzHfVkCc6P76IC%2FpH4VvLP7%2F2%2Frct%2Fyj2EiqLIuOGaKA0JapIEqjXvUzIw4lIQ1BX0YlJPN6va9xkFhzHIgGImwBBRWWM90%2B70HND3PNMfoLg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4DA47jwYg

Or you could buy a new waterproof monitor off someone like Beetronics. At a price of like £500 to £700 depending on the size.

It would be a waste of your time to argue further with your mother on this matter.
Inform her of the price and size of monitor she's going to get and check she's OK with that before pulling the trigger.
Original post by Yasuda
What makes you think I have any authority over her lol? You think she's going to listen to me and seek help?

educating her isn't really a possiblity either tho because she's not going to listen to you? also, the lady clearly lacks a level of capacity/rational judgement (her form/flow of thoughts are irrational), so as her child, it'd be good if you act in what would be her best interests aka help her get help ?
Don’t get what advice we can give you. She’s not listening to you at all when you present clear facts so why would she listen to a faceless stranger on the internet which is just going to say the same thing? How about you set up wifi, leave the Ethernet cable plugged into computer but secretly unplug from wall and that way she thinks it’s the cable giving her internet lol. Other than that not sure what can be done. You could put your foot down and say if she refuses to change then you’re not going to go and fix it nor will you pay for a new desktop.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending