The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Brunel or Liverpool John Moores?

Hey guys!

I have a really confusing dilemma here. I'm a New Yorker with plans to pursue an MA in Journalism in the UK.

I was dead-set on going to Brunel University (bought my plane ticket, signed off on a $48k loan -28,000 pounds-, applied for accommodation), but I got a notification from LJMU that I got a full tuition scholarship! Brunel gave me a scholarship as well, but the offer wasn't that great.

My heart is with Brunel -- but that's only because, from what I've read, Brunel seems more reputable than LJMU. And the program is more hands-on, too. (There's a required work-placement and there are guest lecturers, plus required trips to BBC & other news giants). LJMU does not require these.

Plus, Brunel is in West London...a better location for networking. But still, I'd be an idiot if I didn't take the free education.

From a non-biased opinion, what do you think I should do? Is Brunel really that reputable? Or should I cancel everything and go for LJMU?

Thanks in advance!
I think it's really where you -want- to go. If you would really really like to go to Brunel; do that. It's a lot of money to be spending as an international student. If you take the free tuition and don't like the uni... what's the point? Have you visited both? (I realise that's hard to do if you live 4000 miles away).

The work-placement thing is interesting. It's much easier to get a job if you've done a work placement so there's that to think about. Check the league tables too -- while not the be all and end all of university quality they do make a good indicator. It's really where you think you'll be happiest.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending