The Student Room Group

get a cheap PS4

I bought a brand new 500gb ps4 today for just £164

Here's how. Buy the Fifa 500gb ps4 special offer at argos or another store for £200

take out the Fifa.

Sell it to CEX for £36

[I'm not a FiFa fan so the game didn't appeal to me]

£200 - £36 = £164

Better hurry though, I think the ps4 special offer ends tommorow, and I can't see CEX offering to buy FIFA's for £36 for that long either

FIFA games tend to depreciate fast, fueled by the yearly releases. If you go to second hand stores you will find FIFA's from a few years back selling for 0.50p
You could probably sell the ps4 as well for around 180-190 on gumtree.
Original post by TheNumbere

Reply 3
Think I got a better deal last year just before the pro came iut
Reply 4
Original post by TheNumbere

There is the main outer sleave packaging [showing the ps4 and everything], and inside is another white box where all the PS4 and controller and everything is inside.

I mnagaed to get the FIFA out of the white box without opening it [slid it through the small opening]

Considering everything is still wrapped up in it's packaging, If I were selling it, i'd want at least £200 for it......

but tbh, that's only a net profit of £35 ....and tbh it would probably be less as i'd have to pay ebay fee's and postage and packaging costs.....

from studying the market though, I know that if I bought another brand new PS4, and didn't open it at all, and then sold it when the PS5 comes out and they run out of PS4's on Amazon and are no longer making it, I could sell the PS4 for atleast £300 ...which is a 50% markeup. Most likely If I were to wait 5 to 7 years from now and it was still sealed I could sell it for double or close to that.

Currently I have a SteelBook edition of FF15 still sealed which I bought last year. From studying the market I am confident I will be able to sell it for at least double what I paid for it by 5 to 7 years time...

Original post by SGHD26716
Think I got a better deal last year just before the pro came iut

What deal was it?
Original post by ANM775
There is the main outer sleave packaging [showing the ps4 and everything], and inside is another white box where all the PS4 and controller and everything is inside.

That's smart! but long-term investing just isn't for me. I'd like to get my money out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
[QUOTE="TheNumbere;73958716"]
Original post by ANM775

That's smart! but long-term investing just isn't for me. I'd like to get my money out.

I decided to do it just with the Final Fantasy game as I didn't want to tie up too much of my money with it.

tbh from looking on ebay it looks like I could have sold my FIFA for more. The edition I got was special edition and I am seeing similar ones selling for £49.99 on ebay and I sold mine to CEX for £36

still though, profit will be reduced somewhat by ebay fee's, postage and packaging, and also recorded delivery [or you are just asking to get swindled by the buyer]

so probably I haven't saved a massive amount if you factor in all these things.....
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775

What deal was it?

£180 for 1TB PS4 with uncharted 4 and an extra controller
Reply 8
Original post by SGHD26716
£180 for 1TB PS4 with uncharted 4 and an extra controller

that's pretty decent man

how'd you manage that?
Reply 9
Original post by ANM775
that's pretty decent man

how'd you manage that?

I get a 12% discount from JohnLewis. Also, the pro was coming out soon at that time so they decreased the price of it.
get it on eBay for about 120
Reply 11
Original post by booty snatcher
get it on eBay for about 120

you can't get a new 500 GB PS4 on ebay for £120
i bought my ps4 for 450
Reply 13
Original post by study beats
i bought my ps4 for 450

you must of got it near launch
Reply 14
Original post by ANM775

Currently I have a SteelBook edition of FF15 still sealed which I bought last year. From studying the market I am confident I will be able to sell it for at least double what I paid for it by 5 to 7 years time...

tbh, it's debatable whether I could sell it now because I'm already seeing a few listings for high prices which people are watching....

and mine is sealed just like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINAL-FANTASY-XV-15-SPECIAL-STEELBOOK-EDITION-SONY-PS4-NUOVO-NEW-/232157893363?hash=item360db052f3:g:JE0AAOSw4GVYOF2A

I'll probably wait a bit longer though, till supply really starts to dry up...
(edited 6 years ago)
I got the exact same PS4 for £199.99 two years ago on Boxing Day...

Buy pre-owned/refurbished during a Christmas sale. Will be even cheaper this year.
Original post by ANM775
If you go to second hand stores you will find FIFA's from a few years back selling for 0.50p

Maybe because FIFA is released yearly and no one would buy an older edition? I guarantee in a couple of months a fifa 18 second hand will still be pretty valuable.
Reply 17
Original post by dandorr22
Maybe because FIFA is released yearly and no one would buy an older edition? I guarantee in a couple of months a fifa 18 second hand will still be pretty valuable.

yep, they just start to loose appeal after the new one comes out.

yeah perhaps they might sell ok till it comes near the release of next years

still though, pretty depressing to know that you bought a game for £50 and in a few years time it will be worth about 50p on the second hand market.

I mean most games depreciate over time, but FIFA is definitely one of the worst....
i have one and i am american thanks anyways

Quick Reply

Latest