The Student Room Group

Capacitor question please help

I have a simple question, is the charge of the capacitor constant? How can I deduce this?Screenshot_2018-01-01-11-24-40-compressed.png.jpeg
Original post by sarah99630
I have a simple question, is the charge of the capacitor constant? How can I deduce this?Screenshot_2018-01-01-11-24-40-compressed.png.jpeg

No, it's not constant. The charge on the capacitor changes as a result of the plate distance varying in response to air pressure changes.

As the capacitance varies, the current flowing in the resistor, continually responds either to allow additional charge supplied by the 3V DC source, or, dissipates excess energy as heat when charge flows in the opposite direction.

In this way, an ac induced potential difference is developed across the resistor as a facsimile of the air pressure changes (sound) driving the plate distance.

The equations modelling behaviour are:

Q=CVQ = CV

and

C=ϵoϵrAdC = \epsilon_{o} \epsilon_{r} \frac{A}{d}
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
No, it's not constant. The charge on the capacitor changes as a result of the plate distance varying in response to air pressure changes.

As the capacitance varies, the current flowing in the resistor, continually responds either to allow additional charge supplied by the 3V DC source, or, dissipates excess energy as heat when charge flows in the opposite direction.

In this way, an ac induced potential difference is developed across the resistor as a facsimile of the air pressure changes (sound) driving the plate distance.

The equations modelling behaviour are:

Q=CVQ = \frac{C}{V}

and

C=ϵoϵrAdC = \epsilon_{o} \epsilon_{r} \frac{A}{d}

great! Thank you so much!! :biggrin:
Original post by sarah99630
great! Thank you so much!! :biggrin:

Oooops edit: Q = CV !
Reply 4
Original post by uberteknik
Oooops edit: Q = CV !

It's okay I understood the typo! Thanks :smile: