The Student Room Group

Physics Edexcel Unit 1 (Old syllabus) 14 May 2019 (WPH01)

Scroll to see replies

How much did you get for transfer of gravitational potential energy
Yes okay in the question they said find weight of sphere and disc as in they are on object
Original post by ree.x09
But they did not say the 23 marked sphere means it's temperature is 23°c.
It said temperatures where marked on the discs not on the sphere? idk.
??
Original post by Kamel1023
Reply 63
And in the question they said the numbers correspond to temperature of ethanol

omg im so dumb i was so rusheddd😭
Reply 64
??

I don’t remember 😭 sorry Ep= mgh right?
i converted the mass from g to kg. i forgot the final answer sorryyy
Reply 65
??

How much did you get?
I got something like 0.112J I don't remember exactly. What was the answer for 2nd mcq the one which said tensile force 60N is applied on 9cm wire and when 100N is applied it is 11 cm
My answer was 0.26mm and in powers it was 10^-4. So I wrote it is not safe
Original post by 686868t
Do u remember the answerr for the YM extension question? was the final answer to the power of -4 or -5
Reply 68
Original post by usman200186
I got something like 0.112J I don't remember exactly. What was the answer for 2nd mcq the one which said tensile force 60N is applied on 9cm wire and when 100N is applied it is 11 cm

I have no idea i guessed it as 6cm. anyone?
I did it by subtracting 90-70=20 which was angle with horizontal. Then I found weight which was 10.8N. Then we had to find tension for both wires, I used 2Tsin20=10.8 and this question was a repeated one and this was the same exact answer to that one too
Original post by ree.x09
Also what was the value for force? The rope was 70 degree to the vertical. Did i have to calculate the Tension or did i have to use the weight only? I might lose 1/2 marks in this question.
Because law of energy conservation states that it cannot be created or destroyed but transformed to other forms in an isolated system. So some of it transferred to heat and sound energy.
Original post by 686868t
what about the energy question when you had to explain why the gpe is much less than the total energy thing question
Original post by 686868t

Yeah, 6cm is correct because we had to find the ratio. For every 40N the wire is imcreased by 2cm. So if we subtract 60 from 40 it will -2cm so 7 cm. Then 20N is left and if we substract it to we will lose 1 cm only because its half. So 7cm-1cm= 6cm
Only one question that was the most confusing one was this.IMG-20190515-WA0002-compressed.jpeg
How do we had to find the freaking time???
It was easy.
For horizontal velocity, use s=ut+1/2at^2 with u = 0 and s= vertical height to find time. Then use v=s/t to find the velocity. My answer was 27.smthing
For vertical velocity, use v^2=u^2+ 2as with u=0. My answer was 3.2.
For magnitude, use pythagoras theorem using vertical and initial velocity. My answer was 31.2 something. Then find the angle using tan^-1, my angle was 6.7.

Original post by 686868t
there were 2 questions that were ‘show’ pretty straight forward. i think i used 1/2at^2 for the first part and got 27.6 m/s
Second part was v^2=u^2+2as and i forgot the value i got but around 2. smthn
Ask any other questions guys. I can't remember anyyyy. Oh and what was the answer for how to draw graph using video camera for velocity and time?
Reply 75
Original post by 686868t

Same i guessed it to be 6 cm.
The mcqs were tricky too. I took more time than usual for finishing section A.
Original post by ree.x09
Same i guessed it to be 6 cm.
The mcqs were tricky too. I took more time than usual for finishing section A.

Yeah, the shelf mcq was also tricky. I Completed my exam 0.1seconds before the time
Reply 77
Do u guys think if i do 4 pastpapers for unit 2 ill be good? any tipssssss
not enough, if u do at least 10 itll be better
Original post by 686868t
Do u guys think if i do 4 pastpapers for unit 2 ill be good? any tipssssss
Reply 79
Original post by arhamfaisal
not enough, if u do at least 10 itll be better

Recommendations for notes/textbooks? i have the ial miles hudson one but i feel like its very basic and doesnt have all info

Quick Reply

Latest