The Student Room Group

Circular motion question help

A mass, m of 0.050kg is attached to one end of a piece of elastic of unstretched length, l=0.50m . The force constant, k of the elastic (i.e. the force required to produce unit extension) is 40Nm
−1
The mass is rotated steadily on a smooth table around a fixed point in a horizontal circle of radius r=0.70m .

What is the approximate speed of the mass?

I know you need to use F=mv^2/r and maybe set that to F=ke but I’m not sure on how to get the extension . Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by speghettipasta
A mass, m of 0.050kg is attached to one end of a piece of elastic of unstretched length, l=0.50m . The force constant, k of the elastic (i.e. the force required to produce unit extension) is 40Nm
−1
The mass is rotated steadily on a smooth table around a fixed point in a horizontal circle of radius r=0.70m .

What is the approximate speed of the mass?

I know you need to use F=mv^2/r and maybe set that to F=ke but I’m not sure on how to get the extension . Thanks!

It tells you the unstretched length is 0.5 and its rotating in a circle radius 0.7, so ...
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by speghettipasta
So do I assume that the unstretched length reaches the table ? Because I did that but got the wrong answer.
Am I missing something really obvious here!?

Original post by mqb2766
It tells you the unstretched length is 0.5 and its rotating in a circle radius 0.7, so ...

Ohhhhhhmg I just realised what I did wrong. One sec

Quick Reply

Latest