The Student Room Group

vertical circular motion

hi! this might be a really silly question but im revising for a level aqa further maths and was wondering something about vertical circular motion -

when we talk about something moving in complete circles (ie not falling off before reaching the top) it seems like some questions want me to say that the tension/reaction force is greater than zero when this happens and others want me to say that the speed is greater than zero - as far as i understand these arent the same thing, so could someone please clarify this? thanks!!
Original post by apolaroidofus
hi! this might be a really silly question but im revising for a level aqa further maths and was wondering something about vertical circular motion -

when we talk about something moving in complete circles (ie not falling off before reaching the top) it seems like some questions want me to say that the tension/reaction force is greater than zero when this happens and others want me to say that the speed is greater than zero - as far as i understand these arent the same thing, so could someone please clarify this? thanks!!

Depends on the question and how the particle is constrained to move. To complete a full circle, or "go over the top":

If the particle is attached to the centre of motion solely via a string (i.e. it can go slack), then you'd need the tension to be non-negative at the top of the motion (this would imply positive everywhere else also).

If the particle is attached via a rod (can't go slack), or on a smooth wire, then negative tension is possible, and you'd require the speed to be greater than zero at the top of the motion.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Depends on the question and how the particle is constrained to move. To complete a full circle, or "go over the top":

If the particle is attached to the centre of motion solely via a string (i.e. it can go slack), then you'd need the tension to be non-negative at the top of the motion (this would imply positive everywhere else also).

If the particle is attached via a rod (can't go slack), or on a smooth wire, then negative tension is possible, and you'd require the speed to be greater than zero at the top of the motion.

To add to this ..

the reason being that the tension can only be directed towards the centre of the circle in questions; whereas, say a rod can also have a thrust force directed away from the centre. Hence for 2 set ups that are identical bar the fact that one is on a string and the other on a rod, the particle on the rod can move slower and still complete a circle because the thrust can assist in supporting the weight.

Quick Reply

Latest