The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Mechanics

Hey, I plan on self-learning this subject and have a few questions.

How similar is this course to AH/H maths and physics?

What resources would you recommend that I use?

Do you think I could ask my school for a prelim paper so I could get a predicted grade?

How difficult did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't do AH mechanics but I did AH maths. I've looked at AH mechanics past papers before, and I have friends who did AH maths and mechanics, and there are some overlaps between AH maths and mechanics. For example, you still learn how to do the product rule in differentiation in both subjects and many of the concepts that you learn in AH maths will also come up in AH mechanics.

I recommend you look at past papers.

Yes, I'm sure your school will give you a prelim to do.

May I ask why you are self learning mechanics? I heard it can be quite challenging
Original post by human404
I didn't do AH mechanics but I did AH maths. I've looked at AH mechanics past papers before, and I have friends who did AH maths and mechanics, and there are some overlaps between AH maths and mechanics. For example, you still learn how to do the product rule in differentiation in both subjects and many of the concepts that you learn in AH maths will also come up in AH mechanics.

I recommend you look at past papers.

Yes, I'm sure your school will give you a prelim to do.

May I ask why you are self learning mechanics? I heard it can be quite challenging

Thank you for the response!!

I plan on applying to the University of Cambridge for computer science and a recommended subject to have is A-level further maths. This isn’t offered here in Scotland 😂 Luckily, I was talking to a Scottish student who is doing CS there and said that one of the applied maths would be an equivalent to further maths, they recommend mechanics as I’m doing AH maths & physics.
do you know where i can find resourses for AH mechanics? funny thing i was gonna plan and do mecahnics by myself and was also thinking of applying to Cambridge for maybe engineering/maths. also doing AH maths
and AH physics*
Original post by _samantha.smithh

Do you think I could ask my school for a prelim paper so I could get a predicted grade?

Hi Samantha, I am a 5th year Mech. Engineering student. The Mechanics course is very similar to what I was exposed to in my first years at University.

For SQA specific related content: https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-ah-mechanics/ and https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecMathematicsOfMechanics.pdf would be good to look at.
Further, I'd recommend checking out the following textbooks which should cover most of the same content in a similar fashion : https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics and "Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics and Dynamics by Beer" (I'm not providing a direct link as there are many links to PDFs of this textbook, I would think for Mechanics you want the Dynamics section of the book).

In terms of relation to Physics: this is all purely regular motion and Newton's 2nd Law but in a more mathematical sense than SQA Physics will cover.

Hope these help and good luck with the course.
Original post by cantdomathlikefr
do you know where i can find resourses for AH mechanics? funny thing i was gonna plan and do mecahnics by myself and was also thinking of applying to Cambridge for maybe engineering/maths. also doing AH maths

Oh that’s soo cool! What colleges are you interested in?
Original post by Joseph McMahon
Hi Samantha, I am a 5th year Mech. Engineering student. The Mechanics course is very similar to what I was exposed to in my first years at University.

For SQA specific related content: https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-ah-mechanics/ and https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecMathematicsOfMechanics.pdf would be good to look at.
Further, I'd recommend checking out the following textbooks which should cover most of the same content in a similar fashion : https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics and "Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics and Dynamics by Beer" (I'm not providing a direct link as there are many links to PDFs of this textbook, I would think for Mechanics you want the Dynamics section of the book).

In terms of relation to Physics: this is all purely regular motion and Newton's 2nd Law but in a more mathematical sense than SQA Physics will cover.

Hope these help and good luck with the course.

Hey Joseph!

Thank you soo much!! I’ll check out those books :smile:
Oh that’s soo cool! What colleges are you interested in?

I'll probably thinking about sending an open application at the moment, but that might change, theres alot of colleges so im not sure why i should pick one or the other. What abuot you? do you have an idea what college(s) you migth apply to?
Reply 9

Hi, I did mechanics last year and got an A(1 not that that matters).

Not similar at all to higher, except maybe you will use some equations in physics but they're in different contexts (for example the G=Mm/r^2 I'm pretty sure usually turns up but was removed for 2022 sitting). For advanced higher, 1/3 of the paper is pure maths - so very similar - however not all the pure maths you learn will turn up in mechanics. It is mainly calculus which is in both. For physics there was basically no overlap except simple harmonic motion except these are slightly different in the exam as to what you do (mechanics is a lot more in-depth than physics is). You also get basically nothing on the formula sheet so memorising equations is important but really easy tbh.

I used past papers (Madras Maths has them from around 2006 onwards). I'd leave 2013 to the middle of your revision not too near the start or end as it is the most challenging paper. Mechanics is more problem solving than anything else, so understanding the types of questions you will sit and what the SQA ask of you is crucial.

Mechanics was my highest scoring subject however it was the one I had to spend the longest thinking about and doing questions for. It is definitely a hard exam, 80% of my class failed until the prelim, 60% of my class failed the prelim, but 60% passed the actual exam with an A (and all of us passed in the end I think).

You will probably just get a prediction on some homework or your past maths/physics work (that's what happened to me).

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'm also putting together a study resource for some people at my school to use which if I get around to making could share.
Original post by bxcs
Hi, I did mechanics last year and got an A(1 not that that matters).

Not similar at all to higher, except maybe you will use some equations in physics but they're in different contexts (for example the G=Mm/r^2 I'm pretty sure usually turns up but was removed for 2022 sitting). For advanced higher, 1/3 of the paper is pure maths - so very similar - however not all the pure maths you learn will turn up in mechanics. It is mainly calculus which is in both. For physics there was basically no overlap except simple harmonic motion except these are slightly different in the exam as to what you do (mechanics is a lot more in-depth than physics is). You also get basically nothing on the formula sheet so memorising equations is important but really easy tbh.

I used past papers (Madras Maths has them from around 2006 onwards). I'd leave 2013 to the middle of your revision not too near the start or end as it is the most challenging paper. Mechanics is more problem solving than anything else, so understanding the types of questions you will sit and what the SQA ask of you is crucial.

Mechanics was my highest scoring subject however it was the one I had to spend the longest thinking about and doing questions for. It is definitely a hard exam, 80% of my class failed until the prelim, 60% of my class failed the prelim, but 60% passed the actual exam with an A (and all of us passed in the end I think).

You will probably just get a prediction on some homework or your past maths/physics work (that's what happened to me).

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'm also putting together a study resource for some people at my school to use which if I get around to making could share.

Heyy, thank you for the response.
Wow you did really well 😅
Was there any particular resources you used in class, textbook wise or was it mainly teacher notes?
Also, would you mind sharing the study resource?
Thank you!!!
I'll probably thinking about sending an open application at the moment, but that might change, theres alot of colleges so im not sure why i should pick one or the other. What abuot you? do you have an idea what college(s) you migth apply to?

I’m thinking Pembroke or Jesus 😊
Reply 12
Heyy, thank you for the response.
Wow you did really well 😅
Was there any particular resources you used in class, textbook wise or was it mainly teacher notes?
Also, would you mind sharing the study resource?
Thank you!!!

I mainly used past paper questions, all our notes included past paper questions or questions my teacher had written over the last few years. Once I've sorted out the formatting I should be able to share them, but I'm having a massive issue with how I made them formatting wise LMAO (latek hate club).
Original post by bxcs
I mainly used past paper questions, all our notes included past paper questions or questions my teacher had written over the last few years. Once I've sorted out the formatting I should be able to share them, but I'm having a massive issue with how I made them formatting wise LMAO (latek hate club).

where and when are you going to post these notes for ah mechanics?
How are people getting on with the course?

mental mate.
I dont have a teacher, so i have to teach it myself
I find ADV maths stuff is mostly easy
stuff on masses on slopes + coeficient of friction confusing me - anyone got detailed notes for this section for the course?
(edited 1 year ago)

So far, it’s not too bad. I’m a little behind though 💀

do you guys have any clue as to what we shouldve covered so far? im dumb bc i left it for too long and idek what to revise for my prelim lol
mental mate.
I dont have a teacher, so i have to teach it myself
I find ADV maths stuff is mostly easy
stuff on masses on slopes + coeficient of friction confusing me - anyone got detailed notes for this section for the course?

https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-ah-mechanics/
There are notes from this site that cover this topic: check under "Friction" in "AH Maths of Mechanics Theory Guides/Support Notes".

https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics
Sections 4 and 5 cover bodies on an incline and the coefficient of friction.

If there's anything specific then pop it in the thread.
Original post by kurstiecannoli
do you guys have any clue as to what we shouldve covered so far? im dumb bc i left it for too long and idek what to revise for my prelim lol

Not all institutions will cover the same content in the same order. You're best to contact wherever is going to be hosting your prelim to know for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending