The Student Room Group

Science books similar to Cosmos and A Brief History of Time?

The most normie selections of science books, I know. But recommendations of books like these that may help me bridge the gap between A level physics to university level physics would be appreciated. Not looking for straight up hard science textbooks like Feynman lectures though, but wouldn't mind a few mentions either.
Reply 1
Original post by Amir Hamza
The most normie selections of science books, I know. But recommendations of books like these that may help me bridge the gap between A level physics to university level physics would be appreciated. Not looking for straight up hard science textbooks like Feynman lectures though, but wouldn't mind a few mentions either.

The thing that's probably going to help you most is making sure your calculus game is on point tbh.

I don't read a lot of these books TBH but I do like the books by Ian Stewart (probably listed under maths but he's an applied maths guy so they're largely about physics really)

QED by Feynman is IIRC from lectures for a non mathematical audience - but you'll probably still come away knowing more about photons that you got from just the A level physics syllabus.

Surely you're joking Mr Feynmann is collected Feynmann anecdotes and musings - Trigger warning there's some stuff in there about how he used to pick up women in bars after his wife died that seems iffy to modern reader - it was written about a different time.

Darkness at night by Edward Harrison I enjoyed a lot - nominally it's about Olbers Paradox but it has an engaging survey of our knowledge and belief about the universe through the ages... and a lot of footnotes and references.

Quick Reply

Latest