The Student Room Group

What do I need next year to get a first?

Hi, currently in my second year and I'm wondering if I can still get a first?
So currently I have grades back for 1.5 modules.

1 module I got 52%.

1 other module is split into 2 parts, so for the 30% overall I got 56%. I'd need 53.2 on the 70% to get a 70% grade on this 1 module.

The rest I haven't received grades for yet.

I'm wondering, what grades do I need altogether so second year currently and next year to get a first overall?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1

1 module I got 52%.

1 other module is split into 2 parts, so for the 30% overall I got 56%. I'd need 53.2 on the 70% to get a 70% grade on this 1 module.

I'm wondering, what grades do I need altogether so second year currently and next year to get a first overall?

Thanks

What subject is this for? The approach would be slightly diffrerent for different subjects. If you're doing art or music, I can't tell you to draw or play better to get a first class in biology for example.

If your subject is in social science or science in general, then I can pretty much say the following should apply:

If you're getting 50-60%, it means that you're getting part of the answer incorrect

If you're getting 60-70%, it means that you have the correct answer, but lack critical thinking

If you're getting 70%+, it means you have the right answer and have applied critical thinking

The correct answer includes:

Correct referencing

Use academic sources e.g. nothing from Wikipedia or Dummies books

Strong analysis

Correct referencing to theories taught

If it's a maths module, then the only thing that I can recommend is to practice, get more correct answers, and make sure you follow the procedures laid out in your lecture notes closely.

In terms of grade calculations, I would need to know how many modules you're taking in a year and the credits for those modules as well as the total number of credits per year.

Assuming that you are doing 6 modules per year and each module consists of 20 credits (120 per year), and your second module is a 1st, then:
Using Final grade = w1g1+w2g2+....
70% (for second year) = (1/6)52 + (1/6)70 + (4/6)x
49.66..= (2/3)x
x = 74.5
You would need an average of 74.5% in the remaining modules in the year in order to get a first class.

If you're asking for the final grade in the degree, then:
70% = (1/12)52 + (1/12)70 + (10/12)x
59.833...= (5/6)x
71.8 = x
You would need an average of 71.8% in your remaining modules throughout your degree to get a 1st class.

Once you have a minor setback in grades, it's usually harder to score a first class. I would try to max out the grades in the second year so you wouldn't have to work as hard in the third. In your case, I would say it's prudent to aim for an average of 75% across all of your modules so you would have some wriggle room.

1 module I got 52%.

Thanks

Regarding the split module, I calculate that you need 76 to average 70 over both sections, not 53.2.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Regarding the split module, I calculate that you need 76 to average 70 over both sections, not 53.2.

Oh I thought it was both of them combined, to equal 70% overall?
Reply 4
Original post by JoeP32111

You'd need to get 53.27053.2\over70, which is 76%.
(edited 3 months ago)

1 module I got 52%.

Thanks

Hey!

I thought I could try and give you some tips on how you could try and aim for this first:

Read through the assignment brief carefully maybe print it off and highlight the key points or aspects that the marker wants you to meet - then once you have finished your assignment you can check that you have ticked off everything that is required.

See if the assessment criteria is included in your assignment brief and see what they are expecting of someone who would get a first.

Look at your previous feedback of other assignments note down what you are doing well so you can make sure you continue this and then look at the feedback for areas you can improve on and note this down as for the different assignments similar things may keep popping up.

Based off this feedback if your uni has it you could book into uniskills workshops and these can include things such as being critical, using a specific referencing style for example.

You could also set up meetings with your lecturer and get some in person feedback on your work or for them to explain something in more detail for you - you could also if you have the time submit draft copies of your work which would allow them to provide some feedback ahead of the real submission on extra things to include.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Original post by JoeP32111

If that were the case it would be extremely easy to get a first in modules with two or more components!
(edited 2 months ago)

1 module I got 52%.

Thanks

Hi there,

Instead of worrying about percentages, I suggest you look at feedback for what you're doing wrong and see what they say. Then try your best to be capable of a first consistently - I'd needed I'd advise you to try to talk this through with any professors.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending