The Student Room Group

Does anyone have advice for these GCSEs?

I'm currently in Year 9,and I've only started working towards history so far,but I know we're going to start working towards it soon. I'm taking history,French,drama,triple science, obviously maths and English,and RE. Does anyone have any tips for these?
Reply 1
Hello! I can give some tips for Drama GCSE. I recently sat my drama exam like a few weeks ago :smile: First of all, which exam board are you taking? I took AQA Drama and I think the course is very fun! I would definitely suggest studying drama terms and technical language which you can revise from any exam board text book (The CGP one is quite good for AQA) For group work (devising or group performances) I would advise working with people who aren't just good at acting but are also dedicated and really want to do well - just so you don't end up doing all the work. If you let me know which exam board you are taking I can guide you further and answer any questions you have :biggrin:
Original post by ConfusedCareer
I'm currently in Year 9,and I've only started working towards history so far,but I know we're going to start working towards it soon. I'm taking history,French,drama,triple science, obviously maths and English,and RE. Does anyone have any tips for these?

Hi! I'm in year 9 too, and I'd be happy to help!
Here are my tips for each subject:
- History: Definitely work on essay writing and use mark schemes + examiner reports from past papers to mark your work or get someone else like a teacher to mark it for you. Also know your context (key events, dates, people involved, effects + causes), so that if at all you get stuck on a question, your back-up plan can be to pull out some facts, so it's important to know these.
- French: I do a different language at school for gcse, but quizlet has been good to test myself on vocab and I recommend doing a language course on french outside of school (for example, duolingo), this can teach you more vocab and help with grammar too. You can also engage in watching tv shows/movies and reading books in french to further understanding as well.
- Drama: I can mainly give advice on the practical/group-work side of it, as I wasn't taught much written work in the gcse practice course. Main skills for drama are improvisation, teamwork and communication skills - this includes things like being able to adapt in any situation given, working in a team well, even if you are with people you may not like much, being dedicated to your work and putting 100% effort and also being able to communicate ideas clearly and confidently.
- Triple science: There are many topics in triple science, so it can get overwhelming with the amount of info you need to know. I suggest making a summary A4 sheet of info for each topic (use the specification - e.g:: aqa biology specification - and it's like a checklist and tells you exactly what you need to know), just so you can have something to refer back to if you get confused; making a summary of notes also re-inforces the info into your head so you're more likely to remember stuff. I also highly recommend knowing your practicals and equations, as these can gain you a good amount of marks in exams if well learnt. Freesciencelessons and cognito are my go-to channels if I get confused and I use practice questions from PMT and mme revise.
- Maths: I recommend using a checklist and identifying the topics you need work on, you can then understand the topic by using a revision guide or a video explanation like gcse maths tutor. Then obviously do plenty of practice questions (I use mme revise, maths genie and the gcse maths tutor website) and whenever you get a question wrong, always note down the mark scheme steps to refer back to it and learn from mistakes.
- English: I highly recommend knowing context (what happened at the time the text was set e.g: victorian era), structure (the layout of the text), language (language techniques + how text was written), themes (main ideas in the text) and key quotes (quotes that you can zoom into, identify language techniques from and analyse)
- RE: It's very memorisation-based and being able to communicate your ideas effectively, I use the specification and a revision guide from cgp to make a summary page of notes from which I memorise them - I include quotes as well to support my answer. I also use past paper questions and practice questions to practice exam technique as that's important too.

I hope that helps you and good luck!

I did RS and I would recommend keeping everything organised so it easy to revise from because for the exam board I did there were not very many pre made revision resources which did make revision much harder come the end of year 11.
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I did RS and I would recommend keeping everything organised so it easy to revise from because for the exam board I did there were not very many pre made revision resources which did make revision much harder come the end of year 11

I'll start making some revision notes for my subjects then,as I have problems simplifying information. Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi! I'm in year 9 too, and I'd be happy to help!
Here are my tips for each subject:
- History: Definitely work on essay writing and use mark schemes + examiner reports from past papers to mark your work or get someone else like a teacher to mark it for you. Also know your context (key events, dates, people involved, effects + causes), so that if at all you get stuck on a question, your back-up plan can be to pull out some facts, so it's important to know these.
- French: I do a different language at school for gcse, but quizlet has been good to test myself on vocab and I recommend doing a language course on french outside of school (for example, duolingo), this can teach you more vocab and help with grammar too. You can also engage in watching tv shows/movies and reading books in french to further understanding as well.
- Drama: I can mainly give advice on the practical/group-work side of it, as I wasn't taught much written work in the gcse practice course. Main skills for drama are improvisation, teamwork and communication skills - this includes things like being able to adapt in any situation given, working in a team well, even if you are with people you may not like much, being dedicated to your work and putting 100% effort and also being able to communicate ideas clearly and confidently.
- Triple science: There are many topics in triple science, so it can get overwhelming with the amount of info you need to know. I suggest making a summary A4 sheet of info for each topic (use the specification - e.g:: aqa biology specification - and it's like a checklist and tells you exactly what you need to know), just so you can have something to refer back to if you get confused; making a summary of notes also re-inforces the info into your head so you're more likely to remember stuff. I also highly recommend knowing your practicals and equations, as these can gain you a good amount of marks in exams if well learnt. Freesciencelessons and cognito are my go-to channels if I get confused and I use practice questions from PMT and mme revise.
- Maths: I recommend using a checklist and identifying the topics you need work on, you can then understand the topic by using a revision guide or a video explanation like gcse maths tutor. Then obviously do plenty of practice questions (I use mme revise, maths genie and the gcse maths tutor website) and whenever you get a question wrong, always note down the mark scheme steps to refer back to it and learn from mistakes.
- English: I highly recommend knowing context (what happened at the time the text was set e.g: victorian era), structure (the layout of the text), language (language techniques + how text was written), themes (main ideas in the text) and key quotes (quotes that you can zoom into, identify language techniques from and analyse)
- RE: It's very memorisation-based and being able to communicate your ideas effectively, I use the specification and a revision guide from cgp to make a summary page of notes from which I memorise them - I include quotes as well to support my answer. I also use past paper questions and practice questions to practice exam technique as that's important too.

I hope that helps you and good luck!

Thanks! We often use Quizlet for homework,so it's super useful to look back on. I'm considering buying a revision book for Macbeth,as we're doing that and Christmas Carol. As for french shows,do you have any in mind?
Reply 6
Original post by Maybar
Hello! I can give some tips for Drama GCSE. I recently sat my drama exam like a few weeks ago :smile: First of all, which exam board are you taking? I took AQA Drama and I think the course is very fun! I would definitely suggest studying drama terms and technical language which you can revise from any exam board text book (The CGP one is quite good for AQA) For group work (devising or group performances) I would advise working with people who aren't just good at acting but are also dedicated and really want to do well - just so you don't end up doing all the work. If you let me know which exam board you are taking I can guide you further and answer any questions you have :biggrin:

I'm taking AQA as well :biggrin: I hope your exams went well! I think one thing I'm worried about is putting together a convincing performance. We also go to see and analyse a play,usually a Shakespeare play. I might try watching musicals and stage shows online to get a feel for it,which I could try to use in my own performances as well? Thank you for helping me with this :smile:
Reply 7

hi, A-level French student here, so I think I can help a bit with French advice!

really, a lot of studying French at GCSE or A-level is vocab and grammar practice. doing this frequently will help in all the aspects of the subject. I recommend finding a vocab book for your spec, I know Edxecel do one. this will be your bible. literally the answers to all your worries. after vocab comes learning verbs and grammar, at gsce I think there's only around 6 tenses you need to learn, and a lot of them are very regular and easy to remember. websites like Seneca or active learn are good for testing you knowledge on vocab and grammar too!
my other advice would be to surround yourself in the lanugage! listen to some French music, read a French book or newspaper, watch some French shows or films. this will tune your ears to the language better, and you'll get a better understanding of pronnouciation too.

I hope this helped!! let me know if you want any more advice :smile:
Thanks! We often use Quizlet for homework,so it's super useful to look back on. I'm considering buying a revision book for Macbeth,as we're doing that and Christmas Carol. As for french shows,do you have any in mind?

You can start off by watching normal netflix shows but with french subtitles - emily in paris has a few appearances of french in it. You can also just search up a few french shows, some I found were also adaptations in english like Les Aventures de Tintin. But it depends on your interests.
Reply 9
I'm taking AQA as well :biggrin: I hope your exams went well! I think one thing I'm worried about is putting together a convincing performance. We also go to see and analyse a play,usually a Shakespeare play. I might try watching musicals and stage shows online to get a feel for it,which I could try to use in my own performances as well? Thank you for helping me with this :smile:

My exams went well, thank you :smile: That sounds like a great idea although don't expect your own work to be as good as professional theatre performances like some did in my class. We are obviously just students so don't feel too disheartened when your peice doesn't go to plan. TO be honest for me putting the piece together was tough but with the help of our teacher we got something together. Even if your piece as a group isn't that great you are marked as an individual so you need to make sure you are achieving your aim and using as many drama devices as you can to get yourself a good mark. I wouldn't worry too much about.

My biggest piece of advice for the devised performance that you make with your group is: Make sure to keep a record of what you are doing each time you work on it as you will 100% find it useful to write the coursework!!! Many make this mistake and it is a nightmare.

Feel free to message me anytime you need some drama help :biggrin: Sorry if this was a bit of a waffle!!
Original post by zode83
hi, A-level French student here, so I think I can help a bit with French advice!

really, a lot of studying French at GCSE or A-level is vocab and grammar practice. doing this frequently will help in all the aspects of the subject. I recommend finding a vocab book for your spec, I know Edxecel do one. this will be your bible. literally the answers to all your worries. after vocab comes learning verbs and grammar, at gsce I think there's only around 6 tenses you need to learn, and a lot of them are very regular and easy to remember. websites like Seneca or active learn are good for testing you knowledge on vocab and grammar too!
my other advice would be to surround yourself in the lanugage! listen to some French music, read a French book or newspaper, watch some French shows or films. this will tune your ears to the language better, and you'll get a better understanding of pronnouciation too.

I hope this helped!! let me know if you want any more advice :smile:

I may be going to France at some point with family,so I'll try to get my hands on a book! I've added a French film I enjoyed in class to my Amazon list,so hopefully watching it through a few times with subtitles can help, especially since I always struggle with the listening aspect! I'll check out the Edxecel book too! Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by Maybar
My exams went well, thank you :smile: That sounds like a great idea although don't expect your own work to be as good as professional theatre performances like some did in my class. We are obviously just students so don't feel too disheartened when your peice doesn't go to plan. TO be honest for me putting the piece together was tough but with the help of our teacher we got something together. Even if your piece as a group isn't that great you are marked as an individual so you need to make sure you are achieving your aim and using as many drama devices as you can to get yourself a good mark. I wouldn't worry too much about.

My biggest piece of advice for the devised performance that you make with your group is: Make sure to keep a record of what you are doing each time you work on it as you will 100% find it useful to write the coursework!!! Many make this mistake and it is a nightmare.

Feel free to message me anytime you need some drama help :biggrin: Sorry if this was a bit of a waffle!!

Thank you, I'll be sure to take you up on that :biggrin: My main hope is to put together at least a decent piece,so hopefully a few more people take drama next year,as it's shaping up to be a small class!
Original post by *LifeHappens*
You can start off by watching normal netflix shows but with french subtitles - emily in paris has a few appearances of french in it. You can also just search up a few french shows, some I found were also adaptations in english like Les Aventures de Tintin. But it depends on your interests.

Our French teacher recommended a series called Parallels to us earlier,and advised listening in French. I'll try to use this :smile:

Hi, I'm a third year maths student at Lancaster University and thought I could offer some tips that worked for me, especially for maths:
Maths: One of the best things I got to help with GCSE maths were the Corbett Maths Flashcards. They have a card for each topic with a brief explanation and a qr code on the back to some examples. I cannot recommend them enough! Also if you don't understand a topic, it's best to ask for help from your teacher straight away. If they don't help, it's worth looking the topic up on youtube, there are lots of really helpful videos on there which might explain the topic in a way that makes it click! Also if your teacher runs any extra revision sessions or anything in the lead up to mocks or your GCSEs I highly recommend going along. Other that that, just make sure you do lots of practice questions for each topic.
History: One thing I found helpful for this was making flashcards of key dates and information. Your teacher will go through how to answer all the questions, so it's worth making sure you know how much you'd need to write for each question and what style you should write in for the exam.
French: I used Quizlet to help me remember vocabulary, although theres a free version now that's called Anki, unfortunately most of the quizlet features you have to pay for now. I made a list of how to conjugate verbs in all the tenses when I learnt each one. Also if you download a French verbs app, that can be really helpful. I also really recommend using Duolingo.
Triple Science: The CGP revision guides are really helpful for this.
English: I found it helpful to read all the books in advance, but that's not really necessary if you don't want to.

I didn't do drama or RE so can't help with those two.

I hope this helps you.
- Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)
Reply 14
Thank you, I'll be sure to take you up on that :biggrin: My main hope is to put together at least a decent piece,so hopefully a few more people take drama next year,as it's shaping up to be a small class!

I'm sure you will be able to put together a fantastic piece :smile: My drama class was also really small - we were a class of eight so had two groups split into 4 people per group but it still worked out fine! Let me know if you need anything else :biggrin:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi, I'm a third year maths student at Lancaster University and thought I could offer some tips that worked for me, especially for maths:
Maths: One of the best things I got to help with GCSE maths were the Corbett Maths Flashcards. They have a card for each topic with a brief explanation and a qr code on the back to some examples. I cannot recommend them enough! Also if you don't understand a topic, it's best to ask for help from your teacher straight away. If they don't help, it's worth looking the topic up on youtube, there are lots of really helpful videos on there which might explain the topic in a way that makes it click! Also if your teacher runs any extra revision sessions or anything in the lead up to mocks or your GCSEs I highly recommend going along. Other that that, just make sure you do lots of practice questions for each topic.
History: One thing I found helpful for this was making flashcards of key dates and information. Your teacher will go through how to answer all the questions, so it's worth making sure you know how much you'd need to write for each question and what style you should write in for the exam.
French: I used Quizlet to help me remember vocabulary, although theres a free version now that's called Anki, unfortunately most of the quizlet features you have to pay for now. I made a list of how to conjugate verbs in all the tenses when I learnt each one. Also if you download a French verbs app, that can be really helpful. I also really recommend using Duolingo.
Triple Science: The CGP revision guides are really helpful for this.
English: I found it helpful to read all the books in advance, but that's not really necessary if you don't want to.

I didn't do drama or RE so can't help with those two.

I hope this helps you.
- Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)

Thank you! I'll definitely take a look at Corbett maths especially since maths revision has never been my strong suit
Original post by Maybar
I'm sure you will be able to put together a fantastic piece :smile: My drama class was also really small - we were a class of eight so had two groups split into 4 people per group but it still worked out fine! Let me know if you need anything else :biggrin:

I will! Hopefully a smaller class means everyone will be serious about drama :smile:
Reply 17
I will! Hopefully a smaller class means everyone will be serious about drama :smile:

Yes definitely. Best of luck to you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest