The Student Room Group

Faraday's Law not working :/

I might have messed up the math completely here, so bear with me :wink:

Ok, so basically I have two square solenoids, one within the other. I pass an A.C. through the smaller one and connect the other to an oscilloscope. I detect a current passing through the larger one fine, but when I change the frequency from the signal generator I expected the induced voltage to change proportionally... but it doesn't. Why not?

And also I expected the input and induced current to be 90 degrees out of phase, but they are 180 degrees according to the oscilloscope. My teacher mentioned something about how the oscilloscope works causes this, but I didn't get it. Help?
you're doing it wrong
Reply 2
Yes I gathered that... but my teacher was the one that suggested it :wink:
Reply 3
I thought for a minute this was a Lost thread :p:

Go Daniel Faraday go!
Reply 4
tucker672
I thought for a minute this was a Lost thread :p:

Go Daniel Faraday go!

You see... this is the kind of distractions I don't need right now!! I already have facebook and MSN mucking up my work ethic :p:

Is my understanding (or lack thereof) of the subject really that dire? Can no one come to my aid? Damn my physics c/w! Knew I shouldn't have listened to my teacher... :shifty:
Reply 5
strangej
I might have messed up the math completely here, so bear with me :wink:

Ok, so basically I have two square solenoids, one within the other. I pass an A.C. through the smaller one and connect the other to an oscilloscope. I detect a current passing through the larger one fine, but when I change the frequency from the signal generator I expected the induced voltage to change proportionally... but it doesn't. Why not?

And also I expected the input and induced current to be 90 degrees out of phase, but they are 180 degrees according to the oscilloscope. My teacher mentioned something about how the oscilloscope works causes this, but I didn't get it. Help?

Have you considered the current in the first coil verus the the frequency?
Since the voltage I would assume to be constant on both sides...

Latest