The Student Room Group

****ed up in College!

I wanna go to University, it's been my dream since I was a kid.

In school I got C's and D's in everything besides the 2 A's I got in business. I didn't really want do Business Studies but thought that since I got A's without trying it would be stupid not to go further with this. I was un-motivated, I absolutely hated going into College but I still tried to grind it out and then on top of that my Father died a few weeks back. After this happened I lost all motivation and disregarded College, instead I went out drinking and doing drugs every night!

Anyway enough of excuses, basically If I pull my socks up I might be able to scrape a Merit on my course but is this enough to go into Uni?...What can I do after this year?

Also sorry about the bad grammar but I cba at the moment.
dude, it's 9,000 to go uni now.. you better be damn sure of what you're doing...
Reply 2
probably enough to do a foundation degree, then you can top it up. Ask your teacher if you can update some of your old assignments to distinctions. Most universities ask for a least DDM
Reply 3
Sorry about your loss, losing what motivation you had is not unusual. Give yourself sometime to recover, making long term decisions under these circumstances is not a good idea. Make sure your college is aware of your circumstances and submit your mitigating reasons formally.

With fees at 9k a year, there is little point in rushing into university, even if you do manage to get the grades. When your head is a bit clearer, answer the following questions:

- What do I want study?
- Where do I want to study?
- Have studied the right subjects for what I want to study?
- Have I got the right grades?
- Am I ready to go to university now?
- What do I need to do to make myself ready for the course I want to study?
- Where do I want to be in 5 years?

Given that you had motivational issues with college and or the course you are doing, don't assume university will be significantly different. If you haven't studied the right subjects for what you want to do, now is the time to fix it, especially if you will be under 19 in September. Whilst university has been a long term dream, studying the wrong course or at the wrong university can soon become an expensive nightmare.

You say you are good at Business related subjects but that it doesn't motivate you. Try and find a course that combines something you have a real interest in with business. It may help you meet the admission criteria, while still providing an academic challenge that interests you.

Good Luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm sorry to remind you lot going on about the fees, it's hardly noticeable, it's a TINY fraction of your income that goes towards it each year, and you never even see the money, trust me, you won't notice it. 3, or 9,000, makes no difference whatsoever, stop trying to discourage him on financial grounds. All I can say, is ignore the finances, and if you want to go to uni that bad, then go! Even if it's on a foundation year, at not a very good uni, seriously man, once you're there, I don't know for certain, but chances are, you'll be motivated, you'll be AT A UNI! Then, use this motivation, do well in the foundation year, maybe transfer to a better uni etc. I've heard stories of people who've done stuff like Foundation years at places like Swansea, and gone on to do their masters at Imperial, don't lose hope, and IGNORE THE FINANCIAL SIDE! You'll just be paying it as though it were tax, you won't even notice it...
Reply 5
Not trying to discourage, but having been through a breavement at a similar time, with the benefit of hindsight, taking a moment to evaluate what you want to do, is worth doing.

The 9k fees are not an issue if you choose the right course. But you only get length of your course plus one year of student finance. So if you choose the wrong course and decide after the first year, you have made a mistake, you potentially have only one more opportunity to student finance to fully fund your degree. Have problems on the second course or decide in the second year you have made a mistake. You could be faced with funding at least 1 year yourself if your new course is the same length as your old course. Then you have to find up to 9k yourself, typically they make you pay the first year of the new course, then student finance give you you remaining loan entitlement for year 2 and 3. If you have access to 9k, then great, if not, then banks are not currently geared up to loan money for study purposes, even if you met the lending criteria. Even if you did manage to borrow the money independently, your repayments are unlikely to be deferred and an unsecured loan would have a maximum repayment period of around 10-25 years and will affect your ability to get a mortgage. Of course you could go bankrupt to discharge an unsecured non student finance loan, but that could blight you financially and work wise. You can apply to the university for hardship assistance, but these funds are limited and don't normally cover all the fees.

Don't under estimate the psychological effect of being sent letters saying you owe X amount. Some people cope better than others. But if it applies to abortive studies that you would rather forget, it is an unpleasant reminder. Especially if it stops you studying something you have a real passion for, because you cannot afford to self fund.

There are many would be mature students who have difficulty funding 1 year full time Access courses and living expenses. Who then have trouble progressing further because of ELQ or being ineligible because they have undergraduate qualification that is of no use to them.

The OP has sometime to do their best for in their remaining exams or submissions. Then there will be time before the results. If the results are better than expected and the course they want to is viable, then great. Otherwise taking the time to re-evaluate what they want to do is worth while. If you had motivational issues at college, going to university will not necessarily fix them. You could have a whole new set of issues to deal with.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending