The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kittys
Hey,

Question for existing students, did any of you make a budget plan for the year? or could you give me an example of what you normally spend every week/month? I would like to work out roughly how much support I need from my parents.
I am going to rvc and I am catered, but you can include food budget as thats always helpful knowledge for year 2+. Any help is so much appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
Kittys

Hi, I'm from the RVC :smile:

I don't have a written budget plan, but I use online banking to limit how much money I have on my debit card. If you create a standing order, they will do it automatically each week. I also send slightly more than I need every week so if there's an emergency, I still have some money left!

In terms of how much you need, I think at the end of the day, it depends on how often you go out and which sport you play. Some sports are very very costly (Polo for instance) while others are relatively affordable. Some ask you to pay a lot at the beginning of the year as subs, and others have higher weekly costs. Anyway, I can't really tell you a specific amount as it all depends on your lifestyle! But for myself, I started out with about 70 to 80 a week till Christmas (books and alcohol are costly!), but I managed with 50 a week at the end of the year. If you have any specific questions, PM me :wink:
Original post by Kittys
Hey,

Question for existing students, did any of you make a budget plan for the year? or could you give me an example of what you normally spend every week/month? I would like to work out roughly how much support I need from my parents.
I am going to rvc and I am catered, but you can include food budget as thats always helpful knowledge for year 2+. Any help is so much appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
Kittys

You will soon be receiving the RIG through your personal emails. It's a document to introduce you guys to living in London and at the RVC, so there should be a section on finance :smile:
Reply 6542
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Hi, I'm from the RVC :smile:

I don't have a written budget plan, but I use online banking to limit how much money I have on my debit card. If you create a standing order, they will do it automatically each week. I also send slightly more than I need every week so if there's an emergency, I still have some money left!

In terms of how much you need, I think at the end of the day, it depends on how often you go out and which sport you play. Some sports are very very costly (Polo for instance) while others are relatively affordable. Some ask you to pay a lot at the beginning of the year as subs, and others have higher weekly costs. Anyway, I can't really tell you a specific amount as it all depends on your lifestyle! But for myself, I started out with about 70 to 80 a week till Christmas (books and alcohol are costly!), but I managed with 50 a week at the end of the year. If you have any specific questions, PM me :wink:

Thank you! Really helpful :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending