The Student Room Group
elixira
Right, so I need a simple little shop job to eat up some of my spare time. Is it sufficient to just hand out dozens of CVs? Do I need to write covering letters, too?

I know I sound like an absolute idiot :rolleyes: but my last job was agency and the one before that I got from posting CVs and covering letters.

Hello fellow effy!

Even shop jobs are so hard to get at the moment. :rolleyes: I would have thought it best to go along to the shops and ask.
most major supermarkets are only reciting on-line, so start searching the web!
Reply 3
I know that boots, next, hmv and greggs are all online ones.

Although the most easiest out of them to get to the interviewing stage is the greggs one. [I had an interview saturday so I'd know] :smile:

I tried handing in 30 CVs to different shops but noone ever got in touch.

However you're best also asking shops for application forms and handing them in as you're more likely to get the job handing in an application form rather than a cv.

Good luck~! :smile:
As the above posters suggest, just blanket handing out CVs probably isn't going to be very effective. Employers can be very choosy at the moment and they are always going to choose the person that seems to fit the role best. That means for your application to be competitive, you are going to have to tailor it. You could argue that many high street retail jobs are very similar, which is true, but the candidate that expresses a specific interest in fashion, or books, or pets, or music etc is always going to fit Next, Waterstones, PetsR'Us or HMV better than the applicant that puts in a general application.

You should always apply with a covering letter, it's an extra chance to make you application stand out by saying why you want to work in that shop/organisation etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending