The Student Room Group

OCR Lit, wilfred owen, down to business

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agoetcherian
When you write it, what would you write about?
E.g. for a question on nature I would write one section about animal imagery, another section about weather, another section on God etc.

Ohhh... see I just split up into analytical features of the poem - like talk about language, maybe metaphors, diction etc then go on to things like alliteration or repition or structure or rhyme schemes rather than split the theme into smaller things.

So for Apologia, I'd probably write about the antithesis, and contrasting ideas - "God, mud" etc, and hen I'd link it to the title, saying how this contrasting idea links to the fact that there is something spiritual between the soldiers in the battlefield. And you'd go through like that (not line by line, but by sections like language, imagery) so from that I'd talk about the line "where life becomes absurd and death absurder" and say why that's been used. And then imagery, like "For power was on us as we slashed bones bare/Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder" and perhaps say that this perhaps means that Owen's comerades enable each other to do this, and perhaps analyse it more... then I'd link it to desensitisation in Insensibility... does that help at all? T_T
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Don't kill me if it's on though XD It's just as unlikely as the other poems =O

The sentry will be... the human cost of war/experience of war...
A Terre is most likely human cost of war too...
Mental Cases will be psychological physical I guess, you're right...
Apologia - Yeah, Comeradeship, friendship, but I got arousal of sympathy for an essay homework question, which is more fitting than it sounds =D I thinkt he arousal of sympathy can apply to many of the poems really.
Strange Meeting - for a essay homework for this i got "write about ways in which Owen conveys the pity of war"... so eh, yeah. I don't see what else, really. D=.

ahhh, thank you. that sounds good.
Original post by leavemebehind
ahhh, thank you. that sounds good.

Which sounds the nicest to you? Also, what novel are you doing? Sorry if you've already said =O
Ohhh... see I just split up into analytical features of the poem - like talk about language, maybe metaphors, diction etc then go on to things like alliteration or repition or structure or rhyme schemes rather than split the theme into smaller things.

So for Apologia, I'd probably write about the antithesis, and contrasting ideas - "God, mud" etc, and hen I'd link it to the title, saying how this contrasting idea links to the fact that there is something spiritual between the soldiers in the battlefield. And you'd go through like that (not line by line, but by sections like language, imagery) so from that I'd talk about the line "where life becomes absurd and death absurder" and say why that's been used. And then imagery, like "For power was on us as we slashed bones bare/Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder" and perhaps say that this perhaps means that Owen's comerades enable each other to do this, and perhaps analyse it more... then I'd link it to desensitisation in Insensibility... does that help at all? T_T

I don't understand what any of that has to do with friendship o.o
I don't understand what any of that has to do with friendship o.o

You need to link it which I didn't =O And you don't need to link it throughout the poem, wastes time, you're meant to be analysing the poem in a certain way but you still have to pick out it's important features regardless of the theme =O

but okay, the idea of something spiritual in the mud, which I think I said before, is the fact that the soldiers have a strong affinity between them because they all know what it's like to fight in the mud.
Which sounds the nicest to you? Also, what novel are you doing? Sorry if you've already said =O

Mental cases with physical or psychological effects
You can compare that to a lot of poems & it's easy to talk about. Don't know what AO4 stuff I could bring in though, apart from madmans blue flash or something lol.
You can compare that to a lot of poems & it's easy to talk about. Don't know what AO4 stuff I could bring in though, apart from madmans blue flash or something lol.

Oh God... I'm really worried about Mental Cases if I'm honest, I think I'd run out of thingsd to say really quickly... but you're right I guess =O I'm just not good a that one. Madmans blue flash o_o
Oh God... I'm really worried about Mental Cases if I'm honest, I think I'd run out of thingsd to say really quickly... but you're right I guess =O I'm just not good a that one. Madmans blue flash o_o

Err, you should probably google it to double check, because it's something my teacher said when we were studying Arms & and the Boy ("blue with all malice, like a madmans flash")

It was a piece of blue cloth attached to the uniform of a soldier being treated for stress induced mental illness
Err, you should probably google it to double check, because it's something my teacher said when we were studying Arms & and the Boy ("blue with all malice, like a madmans flash")

It was a piece of blue cloth attached to the uniform of a soldier being treated for stress induced mental illness

Oh okay, thank you ^_^

AO4 is comparing it to other poems as well as contextual knowledge so AO4 is easy to get.
I get AO4 easily, cos it's easy to put loads of comparisons in it, I just struggle saying lots about the one chosen poem :frown:
AO4 is comparing it to other poems as well as contextual knowledge so AO4 is easy to get.
I get AO4 easily, cos it's easy to put loads of comparisons in it, I just struggle saying lots about the one chosen poem :frown:

ao4 is comparing to other poems? :redface:
really? i thought it was just historical context...

ahhh yay. yeah i find i compare quite easily, even if its a small quote i try to drag a lot out from it lol.

analyse the chosen poem in terms of its message audience, poetic devices/language, verse form, and imagery in order when addressing the q? then within all of that you could keep comparing to other poems. thats what i do. dno if its the best structure...but i just dno any other way :frown:
Original post by snow leopard
Omg two pages, seriously?! I find this really hard to believe :confused:

And was the word satire? :P

Essay length is completely irrelevant. I tend to end up writing about three sides an essay, and always get mid-high A's, but I know people who write less and get full marks.
Original post by LeSacMagique

Original post by LeSacMagique
Essay length is completely irrelevant. I tend to end up writing about three sides an essay, and always get mid-high A's, but I know people who write less and get full marks.

Agreed. I only ever manage to write about 2 pages in an hour and I've got A's so far in all my mock essays. But I was told that I couldn't get an A* in GCSE only writing 2 pages. *shrugs* I did.

But yeah.. it depends on handwriting and conciseness. I have small handwriting and I'm told that my best attribute is how concise I am.

Nevertheless, I think it's possible to stretch out a poetry essay much more easily than it is a novel essay. I hope we get a nice quote to analyse in the essay title. :smile:
Reply 53
GUYS, Apologia came up, HIGH 5! :smile:

In total I wrote 8 pages, four on each section.
After speaking to people when the exam was over, most of them didn't even know what the title meant (we studied two poems in class), hopefully that'll lower grade boundaries just a bit.

Anyways, let me know how your Lit exam went peeps!

GUYS, Apologia came up, HIGH 5! :smile:

In total I wrote 8 pages, four on each section.
After speaking to people when the exam was over, most of them didn't even know what the title meant (we studied two poems in class), hopefully that'll lower grade boundaries just a bit.

Anyways, let me know how your Lit exam went peeps!

I didn't really find comradeship to be the nicest of topics... I struggled to think of examples of it in Owen's poetry then a friend told me afterwards that they had written about Strange meeting and that made me feel stupid for not thinking about it. Haha. :smile: It went pretty well though, I tried to ensure that my conclusion would be strong even if the rest of it was a bit rubbish.
Reply 55
Original post by Edwin Okli
I didn't really find comradeship to be the nicest of topics... I struggled to think of examples of it in Owen's poetry then a friend told me afterwards that they had written about Strange meeting and that made me feel stupid for not thinking about it. Haha. :smile: It went pretty well though, I tried to ensure that my conclusion would be strong even if the rest of it was a bit rubbish.

Yeah, I forgot to talk about Strange Meeting and mention the 'Espirit de' something from Disabled that means brotherhood, but nevertheless the poem was rich in things you could analyse and was the best possible scenario as a poem, compared to A Terre and etc.

How many pages did you write?

Yeah, I forgot to talk about Strange Meeting and mention the 'Espirit de' something from Disabled that means brotherhood, but nevertheless the poem was rich in things you could analyse and was the best possible scenario as a poem, compared to A Terre and etc.

How many pages did you write?

Esprit de corps... forgot that bit even existed, clearly my cramming last night and this morning on the bus was not even to prepare me for this exam.

Umm... 2 and a half for Owen and the same for Gatsby. I got really hopelessly bored during many points when I'd just stare at the clock and hope for the "5 minutes" signaller so that I could stop waffling and write a stellar conclusion. :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Edwin Okli
Esprit de corps... forgot that bit even existed, clearly my cramming last night and this morning on the bus was not even to prepare me for this exam.

Umm... 2 and a half for Owen and the same for Gatsby. I got really hopelessly bored during many points when I'd just stare at the clock and hope for the "5 minutes" signaller so that I could stop waffling and write a stellar conclusion. :smile:

Haha, you seem to be big on conclusions. They are important though, an amazing one that knocks the question into next week can really affect the examinar's overall impression of your essay.

I quite liked my ending to Apologia, but not so much Gatsby's, fingers crossed for August.

Haha, you seem to be big on conclusions. They are important though, an amazing one that knocks the question into next week can really affect the examinar's overall impression of your essay.

I quite liked my ending to Apologia, but not so much Gatsby's, fingers crossed for August.

I like conclusions because it means that I no longer have to think about my essay. Gatsby, narrative question, right? I think most people would have done that one just because Nick is too awesome. I think it definitely came across how much I love Nick but my essay was extremely lame.

I managed to do a huge chunk on how Gatsby wasn't popular when it was published but Nick "I've just remember it's my birthday" Carraway ensures that people just love in now (hence why I was writing the essay). It was mostly a matter of writer's intentions (I basically said that Nick was Fitzgerald) and context and chuck in some AO2 (called Daisy a hideous rose, and why not?) and a few critics' quotes for good measure. All in all, hopefully a solid essay.

Ha, I'm trying to talk it up to myself because I feel so disappointed in it.
Did Rossetti, fel good about it.
Did Wuthering Heights, pretty unsure now.
Hopefully alright! If you got 38/40 for the coursework, what do you need for an A?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending