The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mm_Minty
That's amazing :eek3:

I'm glad you like it, I'm very proud of my tattoo artist...
Reply 741
Original post by Griffin23
I'm not your buddy, friend :biggrin: I loves that episode (:ninja: assuming that was a reference to South Park)

I'm watching South Park right now. :awesome:

How long do you reckon the touching up will take? Hopefully it won't hurt too much!

Original post by RachelWest
Not really. I tend to avoid the whole 'tattoos have to have meanings' (which I blame shows like miami ink for) I mean, a tattoo might have the greatest meaning in the world but it could still look terrible, so I go for what looks good.

Don't get me wrong, they're not slapped on. For example the bird is my exact drawing and design, and the woman is a painting from my favourite artist. My art tutor always says when making art 'make something cool and apply meaning later'.
But yeah there's nothing like the bird representing freedom or anything going on. As an artist I just love tattoo's for their aEsthetic qualities, they're awesome.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.
I like your tattoo, the blue really stands out.

I think it's great if they can have meaning, as it means you're always likely to remember and treasure them, but, if you appreciate them for their artistic value itself then I think that's equally "meaningful".
Original post by zjs
I'm watching South Park right now. :awesome:

How long do you reckon the touching up will take? Hopefully it won't hurt too much!

I think it's great if they can have meaning, as it means you're always likely to remember and treasure them, but, if you appreciate them for their artistic value itself then I think that's equally "meaningful".

I guess what I mean is that some people tend to force meaning onto a tattoo because they feel like there has to be some deep emotional message.
Which there may well be but it's also okay if it doesn't have it.
I get a lot of people asking 'SO WHAT DOES IT MEAN?' and then looking at me all serious
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 743
Creme Fraiche. :rofl2:

When was the last touch-up then? Aw, hobbling? :console:

I guess what I mean is that some people tend to force meaning onto a tattoo because they feel like there has to be some deep emotional message.
I get a lot of people asking 'SO WHAT DOES IT MEAN?' and then looking at me all serious

I think a lot of that is because the majority of people who get tattoos seem to get generic tattoos from tattooist's books, so people assume there must be a message behind it.

I think a deeper meaning is excellent if there is one, but I don't see the need to invent one if it isn't there. I'm surprised you don't have more people asking if yours are art for art's sake, tbh.
Reply 744

I totally agree with you. I love watching Miami Ink, but most of the time it seems that people are forcing some meaning on to their tattoo. I also don't really like it when someone asks someone what the meaning is behind their tattoo and they say "oh, it symbolises this and that and also this, and kind of this as well"...that just kind of seems...over the top to me I guess, like they're trying to make it mean everything at once. I mean, personally if I get any, they probably will have meaning to me, because I can't imagine having it with me for the rest of my life otherwise. But your tattoos are gorgeous and I think it's great just to have them for an aesthetic purpose and not try to force a meaning onto them.
Original post by zjs
Creme Fraiche. :rofl2:

When was the last touch-up then? Aw, hobbling? :console:

I think a lot of that is because the majority of people who get tattoos seem to get generic tattoos from tattooist's books, so people assume there must be a message behind it.

I think a deeper meaning is excellent if there is one, but I don't see the need to invent one if it isn't there. I'm surprised you don't have more people asking if yours are art for art's sake, tbh.

Me too haha. It always baffles me. My boyfriend has a beautiful chest piece of an owl flying and people always ask him the same but I always think, what could an owl actually symbolise? Apart from an owl?
Reply 746
First time I've seen this one; it's incredible. :awesome:

Do you do it roughly once a year then? I suppose your wrists and foot are always going to have more wear than you're back. :yes:

Excited for the touch-up? :cute:

Me too haha. It always baffles me. My boyfriend has a beautiful chest piece of an owl flying and people always ask him the same but I always think, what could an owl actually symbolise? Apart from an owl?

I mean there could, potentially, be some deep symbolism behind it, but you'd still wonder why they'd get an intricately detailed drawing of something like an owl if it's the owl itself that's important.
Reply 747
I'm really interested in tattoos, I think it's a really interesting and cool way to express yourself. I'm planning to get a few tattoos in the future. I want to get celtic bands around my left bicep, an oriental dragon on my back, and last, but not least, "Fratres Aeterni" on my left arm. Me and my best friend are both getting that tattoo, I'm getting it on my left, he's having it done on his right. But yeah, who knows what other tattoos I might get in the future? Also, this is a pretty damn cool tatt:

Yeah but I suppose Dove's are traditionally symbolic, so it's more obvious. My point is not really that people ask, it's that people imply that it HAS to be symbolic. Which is nice but not always the case. I like both but like I said if it's not forced.
I saw a couple the other day who had their kids drawings tattooed, they obviously will still mean alot to them in 20 years and it made me 'awww'... out loud... which made me look a little strange.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 749
I suppose that way it saves it ever deteriorating beyond a certain point or anything. Does it cost much? :holmes:

Aw. :h: Any progression with your main tat idea yet?
Reply 750
I don't have any tattoos yet, but I'm currently in the process of designing a full sleeve. It's just for fun at the minute though, I don't want to rush into anything too ambitious just yet.
Reply 751
Original post by Smoosh
You're welcome :smile: They're gorgeous aren't they! I really want one now, haha.
I love these ones:

Seems like there's quite a lot of issues with them in general.

The feather is gorgeous. It would be super nice to have it like on the forearm or the shoulder blades. But yeah, like others have mentioned, the color would be a problem. :frown:
Reply 752
My boyfriend just shot down the white ink tattoo idea and says they look ugly and just like scars and not as nice a a 'proper' tattoo :puppyeyes:
I still think they're beautiful and choose to ignore him :daydreaming: haha.
Original post by Smoosh
My boyfriend just shot down the white ink tattoo idea and says they look ugly and just like scars and not as nice a a 'proper' tattoo :puppyeyes:

hahah bless you.
Show him some scarification, he'll soon realise they don't look that much like a scar... or at least they are easier to obtain.
Reply 754
Original post by Smoosh

I think I agree with him personally.
Reply 755
Original post by Sendaii
I think I agree with him personally.

Each to their own :tongue:
Reply 756
I always thought a dove symbolised peace, or a new beginning and hope at a stretch. :yes:

Good deal on that one then! Not surprised you get it done quite so often now. :ahee:

Yeah, that's fair enough. I look forward to the developments. :daydreaming:
Reply 757
Oh, what does yours mean? Or is that too intrusive? :beard:

Aw. :cute: Did that actually help with the pain? Take it you go there quite a bit then?! :yes:
Reply 758
*Wants to know even more now* :sad:. Fair enough. I shall have to imagine. :moon:

I suppose that's always a good way to ensure customers return too. Definitely someone and somewhere to add to the FAQ as someone you'd recommend then! Free publicity in return for him being so nice. :h:
Reply 759
That makes sense. I feel more special now. :h: Ooh, what game is it from? :teeth:

I'll make sure him and his tattoo parlour is added to the list. :gthumb:

:laugh:. How much did you have to drink?

Quick Reply

Latest