The Student Room Group

no a-level results?

Basically my sixth form said that if i don't return my books on book return day, they will not give me my a level results. I lost a cd to one of my books and they're not accepting it back and say i have to pay. Me being a stingy tight fisted guy would rather not pay.
Question is, is it legal for them to not give me my result if i don't return my book?

thx in advance
Reply 1
The results go straight from the exam board to UCAS so they can't stop you going to university, but you might have trouble getting your hands on the actual certificates.
(edited 12 years ago)
In my sixth form the give you your results but then don't give you your exam certificates if you owe money. I am not sure if it is legal or not but you have lost a cd, it is fair that you should pay for it so pay it ffs.
Reply 3
Mine threatened me with this when I didn't attend their end-of-sixth-form celebration due to being away :lol:

They won't actually withhold your results (and in any case, your results will still go to your universities and the exam board will still process them and stuff); they're bluffing. But you should pay for the CD anyway, unless there's some really good reason why you can't afford to.
Wow! I had stray cd's at home and brought them back separately, and the teachers were like oh you didn't have to bring them back :colondollar:
You could say you left it in one of the computers in school? Or just pay...
Reply 5
They can't legally withhold your results, they'll most probably charge you though if you return the books late/damaged or missing CDs.
Are you trying to justify 'stealing' your school's property?
Reply 7
Original post by Derfel
They can't legally withhold your results, they'll most probably charge you though if you return the books late/damaged or missing CDs.

what if i dont pay what can they do
Reply 8
Original post by wasteman

Depends how far they are willing to take it, the books are their property so essentially you're stealing them off them. They'll most probably keep fining you.
That's hilarious :biggrin:

I kept my politics books cos I'm doing it at uni :colondollar: my sixth form didn't say anything. Tbh, it sounds a bit absurd that they'd refuse to let you know your results. I think you shouldn't pay, if you've got your firm and insurance, they'll prob email you the night before telling you that you've been accepted or not.

**But in hindsight, they're cancelling the course so they don't need them back but if I did need to give it back, they wouldn't make such a big fuss over it, that's just silly :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
If you lost the cd you should pay for it. I bet you wouldn't be too chuffed if someone lost something of yours and refused to pay because they were too 'stingy'
Reply 11
It's an empty threat.

They can't not give you your results and certificates as they belong to you not the school.

Still you should replace the CD. It's the right thing to do.
Universities do this too...if you don't settle up your fines, you don't graduate. I'm guessing this is where schools have got the idea. It's different I would think, in schools, because there are independent exam boards.

However, may i suggest you just pay the flipping fine? Not a good habit to get into - you'll end up the enemy of the librarians at Uni, and they are definitely people you want on your side...
No, they can't withold your results.

You do, however, have to pay for the lost materials.
Reply 14
thx everyone its sorted now though just tricked a first year to let me borrow the cd
Reply 15
just pay for the damn thing. why be difficult about it. it sounds really stupid for the school to compromise your results for books but you lost the CD so you must pay for it.

Just pay it you cheapskate.
Reply 17
Original post by kay.p
just pay for the damn thing. why be difficult about it. it sounds really stupid for the school to compromise your results for books but you lost the CD so you must pay for it.

Original post by venenecinema
Just pay it you cheapskate.

nah i wont need to anymore that nerd i took the cd off wont know whats comin to him next year HA
Pay them for the CD. You lose it, you pay for it.
nah i wont need to anymore that nerd i took the cd off wont know whats comin to him next year HA

Unless he's on tsr reading this right now :rolleyes:
Although that's pretty unlikely...

Bad karma coming your way :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest