The Student Room Group

Better to do Eco at worse uni or Management at top uni

Hi. So i am currently trying to decide what course i want to do at uni. I want to go into business or maybe finance in the future and want to take either management or economics at uni. I am unsure whether i could get into a top uni (LSE, UCL) for economics but i think i could get into a top uni if i chose to do management. I read somewhere that employers look less at what course you did if you did it at a top uni.

So is it better to do management at a top uni like LSE or Economics at a worse university.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Saf94
Hi. So i am currently trying to decide what course i want to do at uni. I want to go into business or maybe finance in the future and want to take either management or economics at uni. I am unsure whether i could get into a top uni (LSE, UCL) for economics but i think i could get into a top uni if i chose to do management. I read somewhere that employers look less at what course you did if you did it at a top uni.

So is it better to do management at a top uni like LSE or Economics at a worse university.

I would suggest you do management then. You'll have a degree from a top uni which is a good starting point. Also, you should do the course which you are passionate about and are good at. A first class degree from a not so good uni will always beat a 2:2 degree from LSE. So basically, do what you are good at and enjoy.
top uni FOOL!
Reply 3
Original post by Saf94

But Management and Economics are two completely different degrees?
Original post by OSI
But Management and Economics are two completely different degrees?

Not entirely. There's a lot of overlap between them within microeconomics in the areas of managerial economics and industrial organisation.

The macroeconomics analogue would be government and politics.
Original post by Sports Racer

Original post by Sports Racer
Not entirely. There's a lot of overlap between them within microeconomics in the areas of managerial economics and industrial organisation.

The macroeconomics analogue would be government and politics.

Sorry no. They're very very different. Having seen management modules, they are nothing like microeconomics. Also macro is nothing like government & Politics.

OP it depends on you. Don't do a degree you will hate. I know I would hate to do management regardless of the uni.
Reply 6
Hmmm. Two PS helpers disagreeing with each other. NICE.
Original post by yoyo462001
Sorry no. They're very very different. Having seen management modules, they are nothing like microeconomics. Also macro is nothing like government & Politics.

I didn't say management modules are like microeconomics modules. I'm saying e.g. a management degree could well have microeconomics components.

For example, on my degree I took LSE's second-year microeconomics module. In my third year I could've done a full module in industrial economics (as opposed to public). In this way my management degree leans towards economics because then at least a quarter of it would be economics modules.

At the same time, an economics student could lean his degree towards management by picking micro modules as above and management, strategy, organisational theory and operational research modules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Saf94

LSE Management is the most competitive course to get onto in the UK (in terms of applicants per place - even more so than LSE/UCL Economics). So getting into a top university for Management isn't a walk in the park. I'd expect Warwick to be a bit easier though.
Reply 9
If it were me, I'd probably pick Management at a top uni. I underestimated the volume and quality of the candidates applying at my top 3 choices (for Economics) and I got rejected. But it does depend on what you want to do in the future and whether you'd enjoy the subject or not.
Reply 10
Original post by yoyo462001
Also macro is nothing like government & Politics.

I remember the days of A-Level when it was. How I miss those days. :cry2:
Reply 11
Think about what you would prefer to study. Would you rather do management? Would you rather do economics? Do you even know what both courses entail? Do you know the sorts of modules you'll cover in either programme?

Personally I wouldn't want to do management as I wouldn't want to do all the accounting modules that are compulsory for them. Then again, I'm sure a lot of management students wouldn't want to cover the econometrics we have to or cover things such as public economics which is broadly government public sector policy.

At the end of the day, however, don't think a management programme at a top university will be easy to get into. Any course at a top university tends to be oversubscribed and hard to get into.
Reply 12
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
LSE Management is the most competitive course to get onto in the UK (in terms of applicants per place - even more so than LSE/UCL Economics). So getting into a top university for Management isn't a walk in the park. I'd expect Warwick to be a bit easier though.

Source?
Original post by Tateco
Source?

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2012/management/N200_BSc_Man.aspx

5.5% admissions rate. They also claimed this at their open day talk. I can't think of any other undergrad course with a lower rate.
Reply 14
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2012/management/N200_BSc_Man.aspx

5.5% admissions rate. They also claimed this at their open day talk. I can't think of any other undergrad course with a lower rate.

That is because they entice more applications by having a standard of AAB, hence more people are put off applying for economics as it stands at A*AA.
Just an idea?
Reply 15
Original post by OSI
That is because they entice more applications by having a standard of AAB, hence more people are put off applying for economics as it stands at A*AA.
Just an idea?

Definitely.
Original post by OSI
Just an idea?

Yeah, the low standard offer probably encourages marginal students being predicted AAB/AAA to have a shot - then again I think a lot of them may be put off by the facts it's LSE and the low acceptance rate. Still, there's going to be loads of top candidates going for it (especially internationals).
Reply 17
Yeah, the low standard offer probably encourages marginal students being predicted AAB/AAA to have a shot - then again I think a lot of them may be put off by the facts it's LSE and the low acceptance rate. Still, there's going to be loads of top candidates going for it (especially internationals).

I still don't think it is as competitive as economics in real terms. Ceteris paribus economics would be harder to get into
Original post by Tateco
I still don't think it is as competitive as economics in real terms. Ceteris paribus economics would be harder to get into

Probably. I was just trying to show that Management at a top university isn't really an easy backup option.
Reply 19

My gf is in the Management degree at LSE. She's an international but to be honest, she's isn't what you call 'a top student'. The offer was AAB for her and she managed to get in easy, even though her IGCSEs were A,A,B,B,C. I know there is greater leniency for international students but still. On the other hand, the IB requirements are pretty high. They are disproportionate, compared to other universities in UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending