The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9800
Original post by bilal95
So here is a question, my passion has always been maths and my aim is to do Pure Maths at university but i have been told that it is very tough to be accepted for that at good universities, hence I am not even that sure about it. Maybe doctor (as thats what my parents tell me)?

Your GCSE grades are great and you should be able to make a competitive application for maths if you keep up the good work next year and into year 13 too. I'm not quite sure why you seem to be considering medicine as a fall-back plan, as medicine is just about the most competitive course in the UK.
I got 9A*s and 4As at GCSE, but hopefully it should go up to ten A*s with a remark of my Maths (two UMS off A*!)

Extremely pleased with my results, but they weren't the best in my year. Someone I know got 14 A*s (!) and there were a few 11 A*s, 10 A*s. However, I think I was around the top ten, which I'm thrilled about!

It seems like a ridiculous question to ask really, but I know Oxbridge can be extremely fussy about GCSEs. I have a lot of extra-curriculars, and I'm taking Government & Politics, English Lit, Sociology and History next year with the view of getting into Oxford/Warwick to study Law.

Any idea of my chances?
Reply 9802
Original post by joanna-eve
I'm a languages applicant (French, German & Russian) for Cambridge. Are my GCSE grades likely to set me back, assuming I get AAAAA at AS and A*AA or more at A2 and do an awesome PS etc? I'm thinking of applying through CSAS because I broke my arm during year 11 and needed two operations so a lot of disruption and also my school has been declared inadequate by Ofsted.
My grades are A*A*AAAAAAAAPPP (A*s in French and German, so the relevant subjects)

And yes this is a repost because nobody replied earlier :emo:

Your GCSEs aren't going to set you forward but that doesn't mean you can't still make a competitive application. Remember that your results are contextualized if you went to a bad school, that will be taken into consideration.
Reply 9803
Original post by sparklelilz
Any idea of my chances?

Your GCSEs are fine. Good luck with the remark. :smile:
Reply 9804

I got 9A*s and 4As at GCSE, but hopefully it should go up to ten A*s with a remark of my Maths (two UMS off A*!)

Extremely pleased with my results, but they weren't the best in my year. Someone I know got 14 A*s (!) and there were a few 11 A*s, 10 A*s. However, I think I was around the top ten, which I'm thrilled about!

It seems like a ridiculous question to ask really, but I know Oxbridge can be extremely fussy about GCSEs. I have a lot of extra-curriculars, and I'm taking Government & Politics, English Lit, Sociology and History next year with the view of getting into Oxford/Warwick to study Law.

Any idea of my chances?

You should be fine, on paper, but you'll need a great personal statement...Oxford base a lot on your interview though so it's kind of a personality thing...they want to know that they can teach you, if that makes sense, because of the tutorial system. I had worse GCSE grades than you but still got in so just have a good ps and try and interview well lol. Oh, and practice for your LNAT...Good luck :smile:
Hiya
I'm applying this year but not feeling the most confident about Oxbridge as my school have a kind of elite Oxbridge group of students, which im not in :redface: so i dont know whether i'll be setting myself up for a rejection with
at GCSE
6A*s-Maths,Chemistry,Biology,Physics,English Lang.,Classical Civilisation
4A's-P.E., German, Art, Eng. Lit.

at AS
A's in Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics and Critical Thinking :rolleyes:

?? Could I?
Original post by SamF1992

Original post by SamF1992
Apply, I got in with a B in a subject that is listed as being helpful for PPE (History) and one of my A's in a "soft" subject (Business) and got an offer. 1 B shouldn't be that much of a stumbling block.

Ah thats such a relief because my B was also in history and i'm ALSO applying for a PPE! xD You've given me so much hope! Thank you!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
What did you get for GCSEs if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by CocaColaBottle
Hiya
I'm applying this year but not feeling the most confident about Oxbridge as my school have a kind of elite Oxbridge group of students, which im not in :redface: so i dont know whether i'll be setting myself up for a rejection with
at GCSE
6A*s-Maths,Chemistry,Biology,Physics,English Lang.,Classical Civilisation
4A's-P.E., German, Art, Eng. Lit.

at AS
A's in Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics and Critical Thinking :rolleyes:

?? Could I?

What subject?
Reply 9808
?? Could I?

Looks from your AS levels like you're thinking of medicine, in which case the message seems to be that you should be looking at Cambridge instead of Oxford with your GCSEs.
Reply 9809
Original post by BJack
Your GCSEs aren't going to set you forward but that doesn't mean you can't still make a competitive application. Remember that your results are contextualized if you went to a bad school, that will be taken into consideration.

Great, thanks! Yep, a verrrry bad school. In the Ofsted report, it was noted how results were poor and dropping :emo:
Original post by Tsunami2011
What subject?

And BJack, Chemical Engineering so has to be Cambridge but yeah.
Reply 9811
And BJack, Chemical Engineering so has to be Cambridge but yeah.

Always a mistake to assume! :rolleyes: Yes, your GCSEs are fine for that too. :smile:
Reply 9812
So far my results are GCSE- 2A* 3A 3B 3C
AS- Maths 294/300, Chemistry 269/300, Physics 286/300, Biology 225/300(dropping)
FP1- 94/100
I'm just worried that my gcse and biology results will hold me back because i'm aiming fo 4A* at A level in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

What do you think are my chances of getting ito Engineering at Cambridge with these grades?
Reply 9813
Original post by the real viper
Personally i would advise taking all 3 onto A level. A large number of applicants will have 4 A Levels furthermore you would only be taking 3 onto A Level having already done Maths. I have decided to keep my 4 onto A2 due to the fact i enjoy them all and believe i can achieve good grades in them. So as long as you enjoy both chemistry and physics and think you can get A/A* then GO FOR IT!!! :colonhash:

I'll end up doing Chem phy econ and further maths A2 if I carry them all on so I'm not sure whether this is too much of a workload and as to whether there is actually any advantage in doing so
Reply 9814
Want to apply for PPE.
GCSE: 9A*s
AS: 4As in Economics, History, Maths and Politics - only problem is I got a B in one module for politics but A overall. I reckon I can get 3A* and one A prediction.
Reply 9815
Original post by OhBetty
Hi, I am interested in Medicine at Oxford.

I got 7.5 A*'s at GCSE and 5 A's.
4A's at A Level- averaging at 90% in UMS. I did Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, and I will drop physics for A2.

My main thing is, I would like a consensus of opinion on whether I have a chance of an interview.

You'd have to do very well in the BMAT to be shortlisted with those GCSEs, unfortunately. You'd be better-off applying to other universities.

Original post by Sbu
Want to apply for PPE.
GCSE: 9A*s
AS: 4As in Economics, History, Maths and Politics - only problem is I got a B in one module for politics but A overall. I reckon I can get 3A* and one A prediction.

A single low module won't be a problem. Your grades are fine.
Reply 9816
Hey I just got my results a few days back and this very question came to my mind, so here I am.

In GCSE's I got:

Maths (One year early) A*
Additional Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
ICT A*
Religious Studies (RS) A*
History A
Economics A
French A

So basically it's 9A*s 3As but I do have a feeling that my history will go to an A* as i have gotten high A*s for every single exam, but my CW which was meant to be 90 ums was moderated down to 70 (and i only need about 80 ums for an A*), so i will be making an appeal for that.

Anyways, on top of this, my only other achievement is that I got a Gold in the the intermediate UKMT (UK Maths Trust) Challenge.

My A levels are currently Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History (but i am thinking of not doing History anymore as I have been told that 5 may be too much burden on me specially with this type of combination).

So here is a question, my passion has always been maths and my aim is to do Pure Maths at university but i have been told that it is very tough to be accepted for that at good universities, hence I am not even that sure about it. Maybe doctor (as thats what my parents tell me)?

So do I have a chance to be accepted at the prestigious OxBridge for pure maths, or anything else at all?

Thanks
I also think you underestimate the standard of GCSEs for Oxbridge medicine. Yours would be, believe it or not, about average for an offer-holder.

I am fully aware of the level of competition in Oxbridge especially medicine!
Although, I do believe 10 A*s is slightly above average. I was quoted from 6-7 A*s as the statistical average several times, how accurate this is, who knows...

The courses/nature of both universities are so close, so for now I need to pick my best chances as entry is my biggest concern.
Reply 9818
Original post by Festina lente
I think you should check carefully before you do; while I have seen people with AA offers, I have also heard of others being asked for three A levels in the same sitting, so I am not sure that you should drop one.

I'll end up doing Chem phy econ and further maths A2 if I carry them all on so I'm not sure whether this is too much of a workload and as to whether there is actually any advantage in doing so
Reply 9819
Original post by josh9294
I am fully aware of the level of competition in Oxbridge especially medicine!
Although, I do believe 10 A*s is slightly above average. I was quoted from 6-7 A*s as the statistical average several times, how accurate this is, who knows...

The courses/nature of both universities are so close, so for now I need to pick my best chances as entry is my biggest concern.

You're in a relatively good position for both, no one could tell you for sure which one you have the best chance of getting into. Apply to the one you like the most.

Latest

Trending

Trending