The Student Room Group

Most underrated and overrated actors/actresses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by you killed kenny
underrated - Ryan O'neal

really moving :adore:

He's not as underrated as Eric Freeman, he gives an absolutely menacing performance in Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2...

Reply 61
Underrated actress - Yasmin Paige (Maria from SJA, Jordana in Subamarine)
Underrated - Ralph Fiennes :colondollar:
Overrated - Will Ferrel - I mean come on, where is the funny??
Reply 63
Original post by Swanbow
I hate to say this but Michael Caine, a top bloke with a great career but I just don't seem him as a particularly great actor.

Agreed. I actually enjoy watching him in films but he never seems to really be acting... I think just his presence and personality are what's appealing, but yeah, as an actor he's definitely overrated.

Also, Clive Owen... he's ****ing terrible.

As for underrated, Uma Thurman easily. I don't get why she isn't cast more often... Tarantino obviously spotted her talent but other than his films, I can't really think of anything else she's been in that was actually decent.
Original post by my9rides
As the title says really.

For me, the most underrated is Edward Norton. I think he is absolutely amazing and really brings the art back into acting, especially with American History X and Fight Club.

Most overrated has to be (I expect predictable negs for this) Will Ferrell. All his films bore me to death, primarily due to the fact that they are not funny. He is overrated and stated as being hilarious. I just find him dull and predictable.

Totally agree with you about Edward Norton. He is also brilliant in The Illusionist and The Painted Veil.

Mostly agree with you about Will Ferrell, although his performance as Mugatu in Zoolander was genius. In my opinion, anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 65
People are just posting actors and actresses that they like and dislike. No one rates Megan Fox as an actress and she's been in loads of flops, her career is on the slide. Overpaid and overexposed, perhaps. Overrated; no.

Personally I think Zooey Deschanel is overrated, she's always the same Magic Pixie Dream Girl in everything.
Underrated:

Keanu Reeves
Eddie Murphy
Reply 67
I think River Phoenix is pretty underrated.
Reply 68
Original post by Drewski
Overrated: Keanu Reeves.

He's been in a few decent films, but he can't actually act, he's just the same in everything.

I just see him as Ted in everything. I love him though.
Reply 69
It worries me how many people think Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman and Edward Norton are underrated. These actors are huge within Hollywood, earn huge sums of money and have international followings. All three of them have won numerous awards, with Norton having been nominated for an Oscar, for Christ's sake.
Reply 70
I'd say Christian Bale for underrated. When people saw him in Batman, you would think, meh they gave him a very boring actor to act for, pretty straight forward to do, and he got all these plaudits. Then you watch Fighter and The Prestige and think, WOW. Pretty awesome.

Also think Collin Ferrel is underrated. Or is he? Meh I think hes pretty good actor too.

Overrated- Will Ferrel I agree. Hes just not funny.
Reply 71
Original post by Hylean
It worries me how many people think Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman and Edward Norton are underrated. These actors are huge within Hollywood, earn huge sums of money and have international followings. All three of them have won numerous awards, with Norton having been nominated for an Oscar, for Christ's sake.

Very true. I think that goes the same for my choices lol You have to be fairly rated to get all the top awards. And especially afterwards when you think they are "underrated"
I'm sorry buts it's got to be said. Megan Fox = overrated. Yes she is really pretty but seriously, mediocre acting at best.

Underrated: Eddie Murphy as previously mentioned above.
I must be one of the only one's but I like Nicholas Cage ... As for over-rated, I agree with the general vibe that the likes of Megan Fox, Tom Cruise etc. do not deserve their status' ...
My pick would have to be Andy Serkis AKA Gollum as underrated. He's a genius.
Reply 75
underrated - tom hardy

some people are saying that an actor/actress is overrated because they play the same character in every film. that doesn't make them a bad actor. it just means that they aren't clever in choosing parts that show versatility. they choose the same roles over and over maybe because they feel comfortable playing a particular kind of character. that doesn't make them bad actors. they just don't take risks.
Reply 76
Original post by mrs.k.wilkinson
I must be one of the only one's but I like Nicholas Cage ... As for over-rated, I agree with the general vibe that the likes of Megan Fox, Tom Cruise etc. do not deserve their status' ...

I do like Nicholas Cage, he proved himself as a good actor in Lord of War, but he accepts terrible roles for a lot of Box Office flops. He's got it in him, but I think the roles he's put in don't really allow him to reach his potential
Reply 77
Thought Edward Norton as i clicked on the thread ;p.
overated: Cameron Diaz, does anyone rate her now though?
underrated: jonathan rhys meyers and cilian murphy.
Reply 78
Underrated: Gary Oldman and Cillian Murphy

Overrated: Seth Rogan (He's not that bad, just annoying..)

As for Christian Bale, I damned completely agree with people praising him- he's genuinely the only actor I've seen who actually looks as though he's doing the absolute best he can for his art.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by TheArsenal
Thought Edward Norton as i clicked on the thread ;p.
overated: Cameron Diaz, does anyone rate her now though?
underrated: jonathan rhys meyers and cilian murphy.

Well, she'd still get it :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest