The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deepshiii
I know! I reacted exactly the same way. I was about to call my BMAT registration centre to ask them to check if they had included Imperial College! xD
Anyway, their acknowledgement letter was pretty cold I think.
Burmingham was way friendlier. Lol

I agree, it was a bit cold.:s-smilie:
Reply 261
Original post by Deepshiii
I know! I reacted exactly the same way. I was about to call my BMAT registration centre to ask them to check if they had included Imperial College! xD
Anyway, their acknowledgement letter was pretty cold I think.
Burmingham was way friendlier. Lol

It's relieving to know that I'm not the only one! I applied for Birmingham last year; they were quite friendly- until I got my rejection letter. I even emailed them asking for feedback and they replied with one sentence! Ah well. I hope I am luckier this time round! Where else have you applied to?
Reply 262
Original post by Tariqr93
Hi all, I'm an international student (Mauritius :P) & I think its my first post here. Applied to Imperial as well, and got my acknowledgement today :smile: though I read on the previous thread that one student already got a conditional offer? :s-smilie:

Unlikely - I was an int'l applicant. I didn't get acknowledged until November, no interview offer until Dec, the interview itself wasn't until Feb. I got the offer around 3 weeks after my interview. I really doubt if interviews have started up this year yet either - I haven't really seen hordes of applicants wandering around, nor have they recruited us for tours yet. Don't worry - they're likely to be trolls instead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 263
Woo didn't realise Imperial sent acknowledgments, just checked my e-mail :laugh: Now we wait, good luck guys! :biggrin:
Reply 264
Original post by noobie93
It's relieving to know that I'm not the only one! I applied for Birmingham last year; they were quite friendly- until I got my rejection letter. I even emailed them asking for feedback and they replied with one sentence! Ah well. I hope I am luckier this time round! Where else have you applied to?

Cambridge and UCL. I don't really expect Cambridge to respond but I gave it a shot anyway. :P
I did the June exams and did not get 3 A*s so..
And where else did you apply to?
can i ask how the 400 q is in comparison to the real thing? they have even got youngs light finge experiments and hookes law which is clearly AS level physics. Im wondering whether I should be doing AS physics revision. Also if anyone does have the book can you explain 2.90 on page 146. How is it B because air has a lower refractive index than glass and clearly the refracted ray bends away from the normal just as its supposed to so how is it wrong? also i dont understand A. Is it when the light ray is going straight through the middle?
Reply 266
Original post by ninjaturtle
can i ask how the 400 q is in comparison to the real thing? they have even got youngs light finge experiments and hookes law which is clearly AS level physics. Im wondering whether I should be doing AS physics revision. Also if anyone does have the book can you explain 2.90 on page 146. How is it B because air has a lower refractive index than glass and clearly the refracted ray bends away from the normal just as its supposed to so how is it wrong? also i dont understand A. Is it when the light ray is going straight through the middle?

Personally, for the BMAT, I only had a look at one past paper before going in to do it. Terrible prep to be sure but I got a 6/6.3/4A out of it because I still knew my GCSE stuff. If I recall correctly, most questions are only on the GCSE level (a rare few at chem and bio AS levels), especially for physics. For physics, I'd advice you to memorise the equations for velocity etc, basic electricity equations and don't be too nervous.

I didn't do A level physics so please do correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't light travel faster in air than glass, and the slower it travels, the closer it bends towards the normal? I have no idea what question in what book you're talking about though...
Wow Cartry! Is that seriously all you did? Exam's in a few days and i'm panicking as I have only looked at the BMAT today. I know people that have done TONS of work, would you recommend doing a few past papers and just looking over the GCSE stuff then? Would that be enough? Well done for your results. xxxx
Original post by Cartry
Personally, for the BMAT, I only had a look at one past paper before going in to do it. Terrible prep to be sure but I got a 6/6.3/4A out of it because I still knew my GCSE stuff. If I recall correctly, most questions are only on the GCSE level (a rare few at chem and bio AS levels), especially for physics. For physics, I'd advice you to memorise the equations for velocity etc, basic electricity equations and don't be too nervous.

I didn't do A level physics so please do correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't light travel faster in air than glass, and the slower it travels, the closer it bends towards the normal? I have no idea what question in what book you're talking about though...

Wow thats amazing! I've only been revising it for a week...soo scared. I don't remember a lot of the physics stufff from gcse tbh, soo nervous

And yes what you said is correct (I remember something, lol)
Reply 269
I would say that if you know the format of the exam, and look over the GCSE stuff to know all of your main concepts - you would be pretty alright. It's perfectly fine that other people are studying tons - not condemning hard workers, but it would be even worse for your results if you're all panicky and scared going in. One main thing I emphasize as advice to you guys is make a plan for your essay bit. Know roughly how to make a plan and what to put in - you have so little time that you have no time to waste reading over to see what you've already written. Introduction, point 1, point 2, contrasting POV, conclusion would be plenty. Bear in mind that you cannot go over one written A4 page. Think carefully before writing concisely because more often than not, you'll have so much to say but only so many lines to say them in.

Good luck with it guys :smile: Hope to see you next year.

@Maza: I'd look over my GCSE stuff, know how all the major concepts work, whether it be your chemistry periodic table group properties or how genetic inheritance for 2 heterozygous parents work - because the format of the question favours multiple choice rather than your average write-all-you-know-details-details you get on school examination papers. sleep well the night before and eat a good breakfast before it. Sleep and food as exam preparation actually incredibly useful - don't binge on sweets to get your energy up, have a banana instead for slow releasing sugars. Definitely familiarise yourself with the format of the papers as well. I wouldn't be the one to judge if it's "enough", for I felt nervous but prepared as I went in for mine - so each person's definition for "enough" is vastly different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cartry

wow...ur amazing! i hope i can get a decent score too...n the physics bit..i have no clue...i did AS physics a year ago..LOL...so i am clueless. tbh I am just giving this a shot, I know people have been preparing since last year, but at the end of the day, it really depends on the questions you get. I just hope we dont get ridiculous philiosophical essay titles like the tree falling in a deserted forest or something like that!
Original post by ninjaturtle
wow...ur amazing! i hope i can get a decent score too...n the physics bit..i have no clue...i did AS physics a year ago..LOL...so i am clueless. tbh I am just giving this a shot, I know people have been preparing since last year, but at the end of the day, it really depends on the questions you get. I just hope we dont get ridiculous philiosophical essay titles like the tree falling in a deserted forest or something like that!

I know what you mean, most of it boils down to the day. In fact, almost everything about medicine applications is mostly luck and opportunity and what's available :\
Reply 272
For you eager beavers out there, ICSM interviews for this year seems to be running from late late Nov to lateish March. Good luck
Original post by Cartry
For you eager beavers out there, ICSM interviews for this year seems to be running from late late Nov to lateish March. Good luck

I thought they said at their open day they interview from January to April?
Reply 274
Original post by Cartry

they said in their confirmation email that they start their interviews late January!!
Original post by nikhil.shah
I thought they said at their open day they interview from January to April?

Original post by Nnuunnuu
they said in their confirmation email that they start their interviews late January!!

That's what I thought :/ they can't start late Jan because they only receive the results on the 22nd/23rd and they need to give interview notices and asses the applications.
Original post by Nnuunnuu

That will be for graduate applicants. Imperial start with theirs early on.

Then they seem to pick undergrads based on higher BMAT scores to lower. 10th Jan to 21st March will most likely be for undergrads - with 14 dates for interviewing.

Might see some of you there :smile:
Reply 277
Original post by englishman129
That will be for graduate applicants. Imperial start with theirs early on.

Then they seem to pick undergrads based on higher BMAT scores to lower. 10th Jan to 21st March will most likely be for undergrads - with 14 dates for interviewing.

Might see some of you there :smile:

That's good news! I like their system, thanks for the info man :smile: +1
Reply 278
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
x

Bro you read any books to keep up to date and that?
Original post by Nator
Bro you read any books to keep up to date and that?

What do you mean? as in books for BMAT? For interview? Or just for general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending