The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophia_J
Hi everyone,

So nice to hear from people going through the horrible wait too!

I've applied for:

Subject: Primary PGDE (think the PGDE rather than PGCE is a Scottish thing?)

Universities: Strathclyde (Jordanhill) and Uni of Glasgow

Date Sent: 3rd November

I know it was sent less than a week ago and I know I will get an email notification but I am constantly checking on track! Fingers crossed!!

Good luck to everyone! :smile:

The PGDE is just the diploma, rather than the certificate. The diploma is the next step on from the certificate. Most PGCE course providers give students the option to carry on to gain the diploma, or to carry on again to get the masters. :smile:

And, good luck. :smile:
Following on from my earlier post, thought a breakdown of places might be of interest, with comparison to this current year in brackets. These figures are the total number of places being funded by the Dept of Education for 2012/13.

Primary: 20,840 (+1,110 from 2011/12)
Secondary Maths: 2,635 (no change)
Secondary English/Drama: 1,820 (-280)
Secondary Chemistry: 1,070 (no change)
Secondary Physics: 925 (no change)
Secondary Biology/General Science: 840 (no change)
Secondary Modern/Ancient Languages: 1,575 (+85)
Secondary Design and Technology: 730 (-110)
Secondary ICT: 700 (-105)
Secondary Business Studies: 205 (-30)
Secondary History: 545 (no change)
Secondary Geography: 615 (no change)
Secondary PE: 770 (-120)
Secondary Art: 275 (-45)
Secondary Music: 340 (-50)
Secondary RE: 400 (-60)
Secondary Social Studies: 160 (-25)
Other Secondary: 140 (-60)
TOTAL SECONDARY: 13,745 (-810)

From http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/letter%20from%20michael%20gove%20to%20the%20tda.pdf
Original post by spiritofsussex
Following on from my earlier post, thought a breakdown of places might be of interest, with comparison to this current year in brackets. These figures are the total number of places being funded by the Dept of Education for 2012/13.

Primary: 20,840 (+1,110 from 2011/12)
Secondary Maths: 2,635 (no change)
Secondary English/Drama: 1,820 (-280)
Secondary Chemistry: 1,070 (no change)
Secondary Physics: 925 (no change)
Secondary Biology/General Science: 840 (no change)
Secondary Modern/Ancient Languages: 1,575 (+85)
Secondary Design and Technology: 730 (-110)
Secondary ICT: 700 (-105)
Secondary Business Studies: 205 (-30)
Secondary History: 545 (no change)
Secondary Geography: 615 (no change)
Secondary PE: 770 (-120)
Secondary Art: 275 (-45)
Secondary Music: 340 (-50)
Secondary RE: 400 (-60)
Secondary Social Studies: 160 (-25)
Other Secondary: 140 (-60)
TOTAL SECONDARY: 13,745 (-810)

From http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/letter%20from%20michael%20gove%20to%20the%20tda.pdf

Can't see this link. Is this including GTP? Is there a separate one for GTP? Really want to know!
Original post by cat_2002_12
Can't see this link. Is this including GTP? Is there a separate one for GTP? Really want to know!

This is for all ITT, so includes GTP. The only route not included in these figures is Teach First.
Argh
So wanna know if theyre cutting down GTP places
Subject: Early Years PGCE

Universities: Huddersfield, MMU

Date Sent: 18th October

Still not heard anything yet so will be ringing up tomorrow!

Is anyone else applying to Huddersfiled or applying to an Early Years PGCE?

Very nervous and impatient right now!!
Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by angel_night

Original post by angel_night
one of my coursemates today got invited to an interview at cambridge for primary. :smile:

dont give up! tomorrow may bring an invite to interview :smile:

Hey when did your friend apply in Cambridge (Primary) this year? Oct or Nov???
Subject: Primary PGCE (5-11 years)

Universities: Derby, Notts Trent

Date Sent: 28th October

Got an e-mail from Derby today and I have an interview on December 13th yay! Works out quite well as I have another couple of weeks at a school lined up starting Monday. So nervous though!

Good luck everyone!
Original post by saba.151
Hey when did your friend apply in Cambridge (Primary) this year? Oct or Nov???

She applied in october :smile:
Reply 149
has anyone applied for pgce psychology and heard anything yet? (edge hill)
Subject: Primary PGCE

Universities: University of Manchester and Edge Hill

Date Sent: 4th November

Got email from Manchester saying that they had received my application. Waiting for my GTTR welcome pack to arrive.

Really nervous about interviews etc. but incredibly excited too.

Good luck all :smile:
Reply 151
for subjects which arent covered by bursaries, what happens then? :/ I figured social sciences would be covered?
Reply 152
Original post by Sarang_assa
Subject: Primary PGCE (5-11 years)

Universities: Derby, Notts Trent

Date Sent: 28th October

Got an e-mail from Derby today and I have an interview on December 13th yay! Works out quite well as I have another couple of weeks at a school lined up starting Monday. So nervous though!

Good luck everyone!

You applied to exactly the same places as me, and I too have an interview at Derby on the same date :smile:
Original post by Opalfire
for subjects which arent covered by bursaries, what happens then? :/ I figured social sciences would be covered?

Nothing.

You can apply for the student loans, just like undergrad students, but that is it.
The primary bursary was stopped, so we are getting nothing this year. :frown:
Reply 154
I just spoke to GTTR; she said the 28 day deadline only applies from January, after the primary deadline for applications. So until then they can just get back to us at any time when they've started to work through the applications, there's no obligation to respond within 28 days.

Just thought people who are waiting might want to know that! :smile:
Original post by Kaystar
I just spoke to GTTR; she said the 28 day deadline only applies from January, after the primary deadline for applications. So until then they can just get back to us at any time when they've started to work through the applications, there's no obligation to respond within 28 days.

Just thought people who are waiting might want to know that! :smile:

Yeah i rung them too, she said feel free to contact the providers though and see what they say. I did and found out I have an interview!
Original post by affinity89

The primary bursary was stopped, so we are getting nothing this year. :frown:

Primary bursary isn't stopped

http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/training-in-england/postgraduate-funding.aspx

Its in the middle column
9000 w/ a 1st
5000 w/ a 2:1
I know this might sound incredibly stupid but does this mean that anyone who meets those requirements and is undertaking a PGCE in the mentioned subjects will be automatically guarenteed a bursary? How does it work? Do you just request it when you accept a place or....?
Original post by cat_2002_12
Primary bursary isn't stopped

http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/training-in-england/postgraduate-funding.aspx

Its in the middle column
9000 w/ a 1st
5000 w/ a 2:1

I know this is the 2012 thread, but I was just drawing on my experience this year. As, the primary bursaries have been stopped for my year. And thus, we don't receive anything or have to do anything etc.

Seeing that list doesn't help, I must say. Knowing I could get £9000 for doing this course next year is a bit of a slap in the face. :mad: :redface:
I'm still not sent off :mad: went to send application and not enough in my account. Need to wait for a cheque to clear. PITA! Do applicants get equal consideration if we apply by the deadline, like in undergraduate? I'm getting anxious!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending