The Student Room Group

How come rail fare dodging is so rampant in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Top 10 responses after being found with no ticket:

1. "I'm related to the Queen so I don't need one"

2. "I'm in the Zimbabwean SAS, on covert operations"

3. "Don't you know who I am?"

4. "What's a ticket?"

5. "I thought the trains were free"

6. "If the inspector doesn't see me, I don't need one"

7. "I'm a freeman of the land, the law doesn't apply to me"

8. "I thought I was a child till 21"

9. "I didn't think you would accept my fare"

10. "Isn't this a bus?"

Favourites are numbers 3 and 10 :rofl:
dear god look what the germans did aswell?!!?!? dont pay your train fares people you dont want to be german!!
Reply 22
Germany is a very law abiding place. They have (or had till recently) cigarette vending machines on the streets, you'd never see that in britain cos they would be robbed within hours.

Brits really like to feel they're 'getting their own back' crossing the line is more enjoyable than just saving a bit of money.
I guess swiss people are more similar to Germans than Brits?

Also as britain has degenerated into a country run by mbas and accountants, the rail companies have largely treated it as an economic issue only and staffed their network on the basis of how much money it's worth to collect those fares. But most railway anti social behaviour seems to be caused by fare dodgers, rather like the broken window theory of criminality.

Imo It's worth cracking down on fare dodgers otherwise honest people will be too sacred to use the system due to trouble maker chavs just cruising back and forth picking on people.
Is it really rampant though?

All the OP's evidence for it being "rampant" is that there is a video of a guy being caught without a ticket and being thrown off by another passenger.

I'm not sure whether it's different on local journeys in small towns etc but pretty much all the stations that I use regularly (London ones, Manchester, Leeds, Brighton) have ticket barriers so you need to have a ticket to get through anyway.

I would say when I'm on the train about 80% of the time an inspector checks the tickets on the train anyway but you usually can't get through the station without a barrier. I wouldn't say fare dodging is 'rampant'.

On the metrolink in Manchester though, unless there's a football match on nobody ever checks there, so loads of people must dodge that.
Original post by indiemusicftw
Because train tickets are so bloody expensive....13 quid for a one way ticket to central london (from south london) ...I have been so tempted.

:confused: I live in South London (zone 6) and I've travelled into Central London (zone 1) several times, and it's never cost me as much as £13 :eek:. Are you talking paper tickets at peak times or something? Prices vary depending on how you pay and when you travel, but with my Oyster card combined with my 16-25 railcard, a single journey never costs me more than a few pounds.
Original post by Herr
I was following the thread with regard to that Scottish chav who who thrown off the train for not having a ticket, was watching the Youtube clip with a friend of mine who works for the national rail company of Switzerland... so I got on to ask him how many people does he think are fare dodgers in Switzerland....... his answer was none or if there were they must be foreigners (standard Swiss answer) Then he went to tell me that in Austria when he was working there some years back, if you bought a daily pass for their rail system, all you are given is a ticket and it starts from the time you validate it at a date-stamp machine. He said at random some inspector will inspect those tickets to see if it had been validated.... he said it was an extremely rare case to catch anyone, and if an inspector wanted to show his bosses that he was doing his job, all he had to do was listen out in the train who wasn't speaking in German.

Question : Train fares in Switzerland isn't cheap (nothing is cheap here really) neither is it in Germany or Austria.... but how come there doesn't appear to be much cases of fare dodgers, while in Britain it seems like a daily occurrence that there are a case of somekind of someone either dodging the fare or purposely not having a ticket at all.

what gives?

I pay a little over £20 for an open return and it pisses me off when my ticket doesn't get checked once and the barriers at the station are open with no guards. This happens all the ****ing time, makes me wonder why I bother paying in the first place.
Reply 26
This would not work in the Uk but if you always risked it abraod and never paid, then if you did get caught say once or twice a year, it would still be so much cheaper than paying! Public transport is far too expensive!
Original post by damidude
Top 10 responses after being found with no ticket:

1. "I'm related to the Queen so I don't need one"

2. "I'm in the Zimbabwean SAS, on covert operations"

3. "Don't you know who I am?"

4. "What's a ticket?"

5. "I thought the trains were free"

6. "If the inspector doesn't see me, I don't need one"

7. "I'm a freeman of the land, the law doesn't apply to me"

8. "I thought I was a child till 21"

9. "I didn't think you would accept my fare"

10. "Isn't this a bus?"

Favourites are numbers 3 and 10 :rofl:

Thank you for posting this! It gave me a nice laugh in the morning :lol:
I'm Austrian and they always check the tickets here. Maybe that's why? After each stop, they walk through the train again and check the tickets of everyone who just got in. That only applies to national trains though. When it comes to the public transportation system within Vienna, it's quite the opposite. They very rarely check tickets in the underground, tram or buses and many people don't have a ticket because you don't need one to enter the stations (we don't have these gates or turnstiles or whatever you call them).
Reply 29
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
:confused: I live in South London (zone 6) and I've travelled into Central London (zone 1) several times, and it's never cost me as much as £13 :eek:. Are you talking paper tickets at peak times or something? Prices vary depending on how you pay and when you travel, but with my Oyster card combined with my 16-25 railcard, a single journey never costs me more than a few pounds.

Probs just outside of the zone, so no Oyster.
Original post by AP1989
Probs just outside of the zone, so no Oyster.

Does Oyster not cover the whole of London though?
Original post by damidude

10. "Isn't this a bus?"
:rofl2: WTF? I wouldn't be able to use this without laughing. :teehee:
Reply 32
Original post by Miraclefish
Because our trains are awful, over-priced, never on time, don't have enough seats and often smell.

This, in my hometown Southern Rail have just sent all the nice modern trains up to London for the Olympics and replaced them with ancient ones without toilets. Combine this with the fact that rail workers are the biggest ***** on the planet and treat you like a fare evader even if you've tried to buy a ticket from a broken machine etc and there's very little incentive to want to give the rail companies any money.
Reply 33
Original post by Forum User
Back in the day when there were less ticket barriers I used to have a somewhat cunning method of avoiding buying tickets.

I used to travel between towns A and B every day, so I would buy a return ticket from A to B. Then when I was returning from B to A, I would buy a return ticket from B to A. Because the return portions of the ticket are valid for one month from the date of issue, I would then have two return portions covering both directions of my journey. If no tickets were checked and stamped I could use these for the full month safe in the knowledge that I did *have* a valid ticket if needed, so there was no chance of ever getting a fine. Of course if the tickets were checked 100% of the time, I still didn't lose anything as I'd paid for two return journeys and received two return journeys. Probably saved about £500 a month doing this since the return was £20 and they were almost never checked!

Done that!

Technically they can't fine you, but the only problem is it has to be a journey where you can get an open return.
Reply 34
Where I live the conductors don't always come around and we don't have a gate system, just hope on and get your ticket. If there's loads of chavs the conductors actually refuse to check tickets so it's not too difficult to get it for free.
Some stations here don't have ticket barriers (mostly on National Rail). People just go and don't touch their cards on the readers...
Original post by indiemusicftw
Because train tickets are so bloody expensive....13 quid for a one way ticket to central london (from south london) ...I have been so tempted.

From where to where. That fare is absolutely ridiculous and I don't for a second believe it is a "normal" fare (i.e. it may technically exist, but there must be an easy way to get it cheaper).
Reply 37
Original post by PapaShmurff
I used to do it because I could, frequently saved me £30 a journey, if an inspector ever came on he would just let me buy a ticket on the train.

Remember once when we had to get off the train for a replacement bus, was worried I was gonna be stranded but they let anyone get on the bus, free 40 minute coach trip for the win :lol:

They always do that where I live. They arrange coaches and don't even charge for tickets so essentially they give like 50 people a free bus trip :s-smilie:
This is one of the drawbacks of privatising the railways believing it to be a free market, when it isn't. Also, it is a disgrace that the trains are overly packed as this will only aggravate problems should an accident occur. I remember seeing an elderly lady make her way to the first class carriage and a member of staff asked her for a ticket and she essentially told them to swivel, as she believes she has a right to a seat. I'd have given up my seat but I was standing.

The trains are too slow for consumers to believe price tickets are worth the price that are asked of them. I thought about staying local were I to study for a masters degree and the logistics of travel, along with luggage, made train travel impractical (essentially London and the Home Counties). Unfortunately that means relying on family with cars and car ownership is extortionate.
Why is fare dodging so prevalent? Because it's jolly expensive! £96 return from Manchester to Bristol!! It's only three hours each way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending