The Student Room Group

What do you think about my boyfriend's attitude towards sex?

Before we had sex/were seeing eachother, he commented on how he thought sex was 'a really important part' of a relationship. But since we actually started having sex, I'm not always convinced he feels this way.

First of all, he would always initiate foreplay, but never actual sex (aside from the very first time we had it) - this happened repeatedly and when I told him how unwanted this was making me feel, he initiated the next time we were together. Apparently the reason he hadn't initiated before was because he didn't want to do anything I didn't feel comfortable with...but to an extent I felt the damage on my self esteem was done.

Then one night after ridiculous miscommuncation about me giving him a blowjob, we got into a fight and I finally ended up saying to him:

'What does sex mean to you in this relationship? - to which he replied -

'If sex didn't exist, I'd be happy just lying with you.'

I was horrified! Not what I wanted to hear. When he realised how upset I was by his answer he tried to say he thought it was sweet! I then went on to say that for me its a really important part of intimacy with him, to which he replied that 'yeah', sex was a part of intimacy but that there were lots of other thing that are a part of intimacy...' - then when I accused him of having a low sex drive and not being bothered about sex with me, this really annoyed him. He said that while he'd say I had a higher sex drive, he certainly didn't have a low sex drive. And he also said that he was annoyed that I thought he didn't value sex.

We were also talking about oral sex, and he said he was surprised to be getting it from me regularly (he was a virgin before me). He said 'well it can't be the most pleasant thing to do...' - and again this annoyed me. Why couldn't he just let me give him a blowjob without questioning it! But he went on to say he absolutely loves getting them, and I could tell he meant it.

But I'm still worried about his 'if sex didn't exist...' comment. What do you think? Should I be worried?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*I should say that after this fight ^ we went on to have sex and were all the more happier for it!! But it was so stressful just getting there.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Before we had sex/were seeing eachother, he commented on how he thought sex was 'a really important part' of a relationship. But since we actually started having sex, I'm not always convinced he feels this way.

First of all, he would always initiate foreplay, but never actual sex (aside from the very first time we had it) - this happened repeatedly and when I told him how unwanted this was making me feel, he initiated the next time we were together. Apparently the reason he hadn't initiated before was because he didn't want to do anything I didn't feel comfortable with...but to an extent I felt the damage on my self esteem was done.

Then one night after ridiculous miscommuncation about me giving him a blowjob, we got into a fight and I finally ended up saying to him:

'What does sex mean to you in this relationship? - to which he replied -

I was horrified!

Are you serious? I don't understand how you can be massively offended by that :facepalm: He's basically saying, sex isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a relationship, and if sex wasn't an option he'd still be happy to just be in your company.
Reply 3
I think you have taken his comments out of context. You should be happy you have a guy that says something like that, at least when he goes out with a mate he's not gonna be walking round like a dog with two dicks trying to get it into someone else!
Reply 4

But I'm still worried about his 'if sex didn't exist...' comment. What do you think? Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be worried at all, he was just using a hypothetical example to show you that you mean to him more to him than just a partner he has sex with and how precious your intimate times are together, not just the intimicacy in sex. :smile: Take it as a compliment, he enjoys all aspects of your intimacy together.
While yes, feeling sexually wanted is nice sometimes, I don't think he meant to make you not feel like that, neither would he have meant that sex wasn't important to him, its just not the only thing he cares about in the relationship. It seems like he was just trying to show you that, he wasn't trying bring you down, far from it. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by iamapokemon
Are you serious? I don't understand how you can be massively offended by that :facepalm: He's basically saying, sex isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a relationship, and if sex wasn't an option he'd still be happy to just be in your company.

Bear in mind by this point I had, in my head, massively built up that he didn't want sex with me (because he never initiated). So maybe that lead to me being a bit over-sensitive to the comment...I'm sure ordinarily the comment would have seemed sweet. To be fair, he is saying it isn't the be-all-and-end-all, but he doesn't merge that with showing me it does mean something to him.

The problem is that he doesn't really express that he enjoys sex with me/coupled with not initiating unless asked, it doesn't build confidence. He said 'well I'm not exactly going to come out and say I enjoy sex with you' am I, saying it sounded strange...

I think the main thing is: sex has never been an issue in previous relationships. Something feels off here and he's not done much to reassure me.
Reply 6
Original post by GirasoleL
I wouldn't be worried at all, he was just using a hypothetical example to show you that you mean to him more to him than just a partner he has sex with and how precious your intimate times are together, not just the intimicacy in sex. :smile: Take it as a compliment, he enjoys all aspects of your intimacy together.
While yes, feeling sexually wanted is nice sometimes, I don't think he meant to make you not feel like that, neither would he have meant that sex wasn't important to him, its just not the only thing he cares about in the relationship. It seems like he was just trying to show you that, he wasn't trying bring you down, far from it. :smile:

What do you think about my concerns/what I said below?
Reply 7
What do you think about my concerns/what I said below?

Well, about the oral sex comment, if he's less experienced than you he might not be 100% confident sexually, so the 'well it can't be the most pleasant thing to do...' comment could just be concern that you were just doing it to please him all the time, because he doesn't understand how it can be enjoyable, after all he may have heard some girls complain about it before. I mean I like oral, its fun :tongue: but there are some girls who dislike it too, so he might be making the comment based on what he's heard and what he thinks giving a guy oral would be like. He might feel guilty in that case, thinking its not enjoyable for you, but you still give it to him even despite this.

Concerning him initiating sex, it could be a confidence thing in the bedroom, if your his first, then he still might not be 100% confident with initiating it? Or even maybe, he likes to mix it up, dosesn't want it to become routine, so that everytime you both get sexually intimate it doesn't always have to be sex, it can be other sexual acts too :smile: Also, it could be down to routine actually, if he's used to you initiating the actual act of sex most of the time, he'll probably be less likely to initiate it as its what he's comfortable with and out of habit.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think you're overreacting to a genuine bloke that doesn't want you for sex alone. You should value the respect he has for you.
Reply 9
Original post by iamapokemon

This> You should be FLATTERED! It shows he wants you for you and not sex!
Reply 10
Original post by Cheese_Monster
I think you're overreacting to a genuine bloke that doesn't want you for sex alone. You should value the respect he has for you.

You're probably right. :smile: I just want to make sure that he does want sex with me as well...that's less obvious.
Reply 11
Original post by sheepy18
This> You should be FLATTERED! It shows he wants you for you and not sex!

I know, I suppose you are right. :smile: You know what I mean though don't you...about it being important to feel desired by your partner?
Reply 12
Original post by GirasoleL
Well, about the oral sex comment, if he's less experienced than you he might not be 100% confident sexually, so the 'well it can't be the most pleasant thing to do...' comment could just be concern that you were just doing it to please him all the time, because he doesn't understand how it can be enjoyable, after all he may have heard some girls complain about it before. I mean I like oral, its fun :tongue: but there are some girls who dislike it too, so he might be making the comment based on what he's heard and what he thinks giving a guy oral would be like. He might feel guilty in that case, thinking its not enjoyable for you, but you still give it to him even despite this.

Concerning him initiating sex, it could be a confidence thing in the bedroom, if your his first, then he still might not be 100% confident with initiating it? Or even maybe, he likes to mix it up, dosesn't want it to become routine, so that everytime you both get sexually intimate it doesn't always have to be sex, it can be other sexual acts too :smile: Also, it could be down to routine actually, if he's used to you initiating the actual act of sex most of the time, he'll probably be less likely to initiate it as its what he's comfortable with and out of habit.

Thanks for your reply. :smile: The problem is, I don't think he lives giving me oral much (so maybe that's partly where the comment stems from). Again, he hasn't said it but it's obvious he only does it out of obligation :p: Past boyfriends have seemed keen to do it. I did say if he thought I was uncomfortable, I certainly wasn't. He said 'I'm not trying to insinuate that you're mad about giving blowjobs or anything...' - I don't know, it seems weird. So what if I am mad about giving them to him?! There's nothing shameful about it, and I don't want him thinking there is...

Yeah, he isn't very confident in the bedroom. Or his abilities.
Thanks for your reply. :smile: The problem is, I don't think he lives giving me oral much (so maybe that's partly where the comment stems from). Again, he hasn't said it but it's obvious he only does it out of obligation :p: Past boyfriends have seemed keen to do it. I did say if he thought I was uncomfortable, I certainly wasn't. He said 'I'm not trying to insinuate that you're mad about giving blowjobs or anything...' - I don't know, it seems weird. So what if I am mad about giving them to him?! There's nothing shameful about it, and I don't want him thinking there is...

Yeah, he isn't very confident in the bedroom. Or his abilities.

No problem :smile:

Well, he just seems like he's being careful with how he's wording things, just in case you took offence to his comment, he added that bit in. I really don't think he meant that there was anything shameful about it at all. Its probably just some insecurities of his own made him phrase his words carefuly and bring up the topic of you giving him oral sex to begin with, we all have insecurities sometimes :smile: The same feelings you were having about him possibly not enjoying oral were probably simular worries he might have been feeling, which would explain him bringing the topic up.

Besides, I doubt he does it just out of obligation :tongue: Even if he's not as massively keen as your past boyfriends seemed on the process of the act itself, he more than likley does it because he enjoys pleasuring you, not because he sees it as an obligation. You could always ask him if he enjoys oral sex, he might suprise you :tongue: Some guys find the actual act itself fun, others just get turned on by how you react to it rather than the act itself, either way its something they still enjoy doing.

Also, maybe it stems back to his levels of confidence in the bedroom and in his abilities, he might not seem too keen because he just doesn't have enough confidence in that area? Your past boyfriends may have had more confidence and therefore took the initiative more and appeared more keen.
Reply 14

I was horrified! Not what I wanted to hear.

He can't win. o.O
He sounds sweet, I don't know why you're concerned.
Reply 16
He is sweet. He's lovely...but he respects me so much that I start to wonder if he can ever see me in that sexual way I need him to see me when are intimate like that.
Reply 17
give the poor guy a break :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Gosh, you sound so ungrateful! The guy told you that he values your relationship so much he doesn't care about sex! What, would you rather have a guy who was only with you for the goods?!
Reply 19
Original post by abc101
Gosh, you sound so ungrateful! The guy told you that he values your relationship so much he doesn't care about sex! What, would you rather have a guy who was only with you for the goods?!

I don't see why it has to be either or. I want a guy who values my mind and the goods!

I'm not ungrateful at all. I am very appreciative of him (and bear in mind it's difficult to convey a lot of this via the internet!). Its hard to have felt unwanted over the past few months. There's nothing lovelier than a guy who values you for who you are - but when that's paired with someone who can see the sexy side of you as well - that's the whole package!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending