The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation for 2012.

Hello. I'm transferring to UoM, hopefully to do my second year in Law this Sept 2012. I honestly don't know and am confused as to which to choose as my first, second and third preference.

Tell me what you think about these places:

1. Weston Hall
2. Lambert and Fairfield Hall
3. Victoria Park
4. Canterbury Court
5. Whitworth Park

Would love feedback on the environment, access, condition of building, size of rooms, and basically what to expect. I'm an international student, so I'd expect to feel at home as much as possible.

Also, would a shared bathroom be rather bad? :/
Reply 1
Well Weston, Lambert and Fairfield are pretty much the same. Location wise it's super convenient as you're practically in the city centre and next to the train station. Weston is however slightly newer. Though rooms at Lambert and Fairfield are slight bigger. And when I say slightly I really do mean slightly. I stay in Lambert now and I can say I have no regrets about choosing this place.

Whitworth is massive so a plus is that there is always something going on. Some windows have grills on them so it can feel a little cage-y at times though. But most people I know who stay or have stayed there really enjoyed themselves.

Nothing to say bout the Victoria campus accom as don't personally know anything about them. They are slightly more off from the main road so you'd probably want to get a bus pass.

Nah if anything a shared bathroom could be a good thing. Seeing as you don't have to clean it yourself or buy toilet roll and whatnot. Depends on how comfortable you are with other people I suppose.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by yingyi6
Well Weston, Lambert and Fairfield are pretty much the same. Location wise it's super convenient as you're practically in the city centre and next to the train station. Weston is however slightly newer. Though rooms at Lambert and Fairfield are slight bigger. And when I say slightly I really do mean slightly. I stay in Lambert now and I can say I have no regrets about choosing this place.

Whitworth is massive so a plus is that there is always something going on. Some windows have grills on them so it can feel a little cage-y at times though. But most people I know who stay or have stayed there really enjoyed themselves.

Nothing to say bout the Victoria campus accom as don't personally know anything about them. They are slightly more off from the main road so you'd probably want to get a bus pass.

Nah if anything a shared bathroom could be a good thing. Seeing as you don't have to clean it yourself or buy toilet roll and whatnot. Depends on how comfortable you are with other people I suppose.

Is Whitworth Park comparable at all to Oak House? Considering putting WP 1st and OH 2nd, but pretty sure I'll get WP, if I put it 1st choice, is it full of internationals? I love its central location for the uni/manchester city centre
Reply 3
Hmm. I would say that in comparison to OP, WP has more internationals. Locals tend to choose accom in Fallowfield for the student vibe while internationals want to be closer to uni. But there is a certain amount of luck involved.

You could end up in a flat where everyone's international or a flat with half and half. Really depends.

Whereabouts are you transferring from?
Reply 4
Original post by yingyi6

I was thinking that it's rather worth it to get a buss pass anyway, I mean, I will be needing it to travel around Manchester anyway right? So, now I'm really thinking of sticking to Victoria Park, and making Whitworth my last choice with the advantage only being the location, with it being smack in the middle instead of isolated (This, after consulting Google Earth's street view)

Thanks for your response. :smile:
Reply 5
how far is lambert and fairfield hall from the stopford building [pharmacy]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending