The Student Room Group

I'm still waiting to get onto a PGCE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AgentJ87
Also congrats on being offered a place!!!!!! :biggrin:

thank you! :smile: and I'm sure you'll get there eventually. If it's what you really want you will succeed. Just don't let it knock your confidence as it is no reflection on you at all. My uni tutor said he's never had a student as conscientious as I've been and after observing me in school, said I'm born to teach! My colleagues all say the same. They're the opinions that count! Good luck with it :smile:
Original post by Whiskey_In_The_Jar
Thanks Rose, my interview was the 16th of February, thankfully I didn't have to do a presentation or Maths and English tests. We had a group discussion on a students piece of creative writing where we talked about what we liked and didn't like and then how they might be able to improve it. After that we had to write a page on how we contributed to the discussion and what we thought of it ourselves.

When it comes to Maths and English tests I have done those before at Manchester, they were fairly simple and I can't imagine them being too different at IoE. Basically for English they gave you a list of words and each one had multiple spellings, you had to circle the correct one, then there was paragraph written by a student you had to correct and comment on. As for Maths it was some simple multiplication and a wee bit of percentages and looking at a pie chart but it wasn't too complicated and they stressed it was only to judge how much help you might need during the course to reach the minimum level for teaching.

One thing IoE seemed to stress in their presentation to us was how committed they were to the multicultural aspect of teaching in London, which was great for me since that's a big part of the reason I want to go there. If they mention it in the presentation or ask you about it I'd be sure to stress that you're up for it. Hope that's helped a bit...even if it's a tad long.

Hi,

Thank you so much for all the information.
Good luck for your result!
Reply 62
Just found out I've been rejected by Nottingham Trent without even having an interview. :frown:

I'm really confused by this seeing as I've had interviews for TeachFirst and the University of Nottingham. My application must be OK for me to have got interviews previously, and I have plenty of experience in schools.

I only have Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam left, and I didn't really want to have to move...
I had my interview at Leeds Met two weeks ago today but haven't heard back yet. Think I may ring them today if I haven't heard anything by the afternoon. :frown:
Original post by Keziah
Just found out I've been rejected by Nottingham Trent without even having an interview. :frown:

I'm really confused by this seeing as I've had interviews for TeachFirst and the University of Nottingham. My application must be OK for me to have got interviews previously, and I have plenty of experience in schools.

I only have Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam left, and I didn't really want to have to move...

It'll almost certainly be the case that Nottingham Trent had filled their places then, or decided they had already interviewed enough candidates. It won't have anything to do with your application. The UCAS system for PGCEs is stupid, a bit of a lottery.
Original post by Keziah

Have they said why they've rejected you at all? If you really don't want to move you could perhaps try SCITT in Nottingham?
Reply 66
Original post by Dagnabbit
Have they said why they've rejected you at all? If you really don't want to move you could perhaps try SCITT in Nottingham?

I contacted them and they said it was because of my degree not being in English. From the things they said, it seems like they do things a lot more 'by the book' there...

TeachFirst and UoN seemed to take the attitude that with a 1st class degree, in a subject that includes language and literature (my undergraduate degree was French and History and I did a lot of literature and text analysis as part of it), and an A-Level in English Literature, I had transferable skills that could be used for teaching English. Even though they didn't accept me, at least the fact that they invited me to interview shows they thought I had some potential. Whereas Trent seemed more interested in the simple mathematics of what modules I'd done.

Anyway, I've changed my last 2 choices to Secondary French instead. I've realised that I ultimately want to be a teacher more than I mind what specific subject I teach, and I can always move into other subjects once I'm qualified. I'm currently working as a cover MFL teacher for a term and am enjoying it a lot more than I expected to.

The universities have sounded really positive, and Leicester have let me send a new personal statement directly to them as the one they're getting through the GTTR is about English. So fingers crossed I'll get into one of those, especially with it being a shortage subject!
Original post by Keziah
I contacted them and they said it was because of my degree not being in English. From the things they said, it seems like they do things a lot more 'by the book' there...

That's interesting...

When I went to my Trent interview, there was one person there who got a 2:2 in Psychology and another on a 2:1 in Economics and we were all applying for secondary maths!

Nevertheless, you never know what might come with this rejection and maybe you'd be better off with your 'plan B' with French. I thought you were applying to Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam though not Leicester? Best wishes anyways!
Reply 68
Yeah...

I found out that Sheffield was full, and Sheffield Hallam only had 2 places left and interviews lined up this week at which they expected to fill them.

So I phoned the GTTR and they withdrew me from them so that I could put in 2 new applications. :biggrin:
Reply 69
I'm waiting to hear back, applied for MFL at Kings College, Goldsmiths, Manchester and East London. Got turned down without an interview by Kings which isn't very reassuring. Anyone else waiting for MFL at any of the above?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending