The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by comeluckyapril
You jest but that's essentially what I got!! How did I cope with mixing with people different to myself, how much time did I spend mixing with people of different cultures, how have I found these experiences, what have I learned/gained, etc etc. Little bit out of left field and I have to say, though I can see exactly where they are coming from I'm not sure it makes me a worse candidate. Obviously if I actively avoided any kind of diversity then yes, but happening to live in a certain area and choosing a certain university (before I even knew Exeter was wildly middle-class, white, and wealthy) shouldn't neccessarily reflect badly on me as a person. But then now I'm going to make a real effort in that department before next year, and I love to meet new people so that can only be a good thing! :smile:

Surely that just has the potential to be really awkward? I mean you can't exactly say "I worked with a black person once and remembered not to be racist or assume they're from Africa!" :tongue:

I guess if you can spend some time in the next year tutoring children who have English as a second language in schools or something then you'll be able to talk about working with people from different cultures without having to get into a very awkward conversation about how you don't form preconceptions of working-class people in your lectures or something!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Canary Girl
Unsuccessful with 15.09. If someone got 17.27 and was successful that's not too bad. And I know what to improve on for next time, if I apply again. Weirdly, my worse performance was in the area I thought I did the best and visa versa for my best!

Hi, Sorry is that 17.27 pass for the general grad scheme? Where did you find that out?

I've been rejected from the General graduate scheme with a score of 16.21, i've seen someone else was rejected with 16.26 but I want to know how close I am. I had my FSAC day in January and have only just found out so anyone waiting don't be worried! Does anyone know the pass mark or have had scores higher than 16.26 and been rejected for the general scheme?

Thanks
Reply 1982
Original post by F6053721
Anyone from HR stream heard anything? I'm wondering if it's good I've not heard if I've survived a sift or if there just hasn't been an adjustment today.

I haven't heard anything for HR today, but I think last time they sifted some schemes on the Monday the HR got done on the Tuesday, although I'm not sure if these were people who had been waiting a while or who had just attended the week before.

Original post by comeluckyapril
You jest but that's essentially what I got!! How did I cope with mixing with people different to myself, how much time did I spend mixing with people of different cultures, how have I found these experiences, what have I learned/gained, etc etc. Little bit out of left field and I have to say, though I can see exactly where they are coming from I'm not sure it makes me a worse candidate. Obviously if I actively avoided any kind of diversity then yes, but happening to live in a certain area and choosing a certain university (before I even knew Exeter was wildly middle-class, white, and wealthy) shouldn't neccessarily reflect badly on me as a person. But then now I'm going to make a real effort in that department before next year, and I love to meet new people so that can only be a good thing! :smile:

I got asked this too, and it did have the potential to be very awkward, at first I hesitated a bit because was worried about wording my answer wrong when talking about people I know of different race. The interviewer seemed impressed though when I talked about a girl who I manage who hadn't been turning up for work and I asked her about it and it turned out she had been made homeless so I had to coach her and help as much as I could without letting the situation impact the business (because of how it had made her unreliable and affected shifts, nothing to do with her living arrangements!). Maybe you could try voluteering with the homeless or another charity like this then you could use that experience next year.
Original post by Gradhunting
Hi, Sorry is that 17.27 pass for the general grad scheme? Where did you find that out?

I've been rejected from the General graduate scheme with a score of 16.21, i've seen someone else was rejected with 16.26 but I want to know how close I am. I had my FSAC day in January and have only just found out so anyone waiting don't be worried! Does anyone know the pass mark or have had scores higher than 16.26 and been rejected for the general scheme?

Thanks

if youre referring to my score i actually got 17.77 not .27. If you're not, apologies and I only assumed because I just recently posted it!
Reply 1984

Thanks

Just trying to find out if this is the Graduate Fast Stream? If so that would mean that the amber band at the moment is between 16.26 and 17.27, which would mean that all of the rest of us that are amber banded are somewhere in between these two scores.

Commiserations on being rejected, i'm fully expecting to get a rejection when I hear after being rejected from HOP and will be building upon the feedback report that I receive for next year.
Original post by ellie_flower
if youre referring to my score i actually got 17.77 not .27. If you're not, apologies and I only assumed because I just recently posted it!

Well that's what has confused me, I've seen your score (well done) and that is significantly higher than mine whereas 17.27 isn't (although I don't know where that score has come from)
Original post by cha4zz
Just trying to find out if this is the Graduate Fast Stream? If so that would mean that the amber band at the moment is between 16.26 and 17.27, which would mean that all of the rest of us that are amber banded are somewhere in between these two scores.

Commiserations on being rejected, i'm fully expecting to get a rejection when I hear after being rejected from HOP and will be building upon the feedback report that I receive for next year.

It was for the Grad fast stream-I was rejected at 16.21, someone else was rejected at 16.26- then we have a definite pass at 17.77 (see above) then an unconfirmed passing at 17.27

I was rejected from HofP about a month ago but only today found out about CD
Reply 1987
It was for the Grad fast stream-I was rejected at 16.21, someone else was rejected at 16.26- then we have a definite pass at 17.77 (see above) then an unconfirmed passing at 17.27

I was rejected from HofP about a month ago but only today found out about CD

I'm fully expecting to be in the same boat, with another 4 FSAC's this week I can only imagine that a fair few will reach the my score and i'll be rejected. Although it's going to be in vain, 16.21 is a score above ~ 60% of those that have attended FSAC and you should be proud of it. I know that regardless of the outcome, getting close to the pass score on my first attempt is something that i'm not ashamed of at all.
Reply 1988
Successful at the FSAC for TiB. Phew!!!
I got rejected from the GSR this year :frown: but with the feedback will be gunning for it next year :biggrin:. If I did reapply next year would I have to do all the online tests again? Some grad scheme applications let you skip it if you've done it the year before and go straight to the e-tray or assessment centre.
Reply 1990
Wow...how many of us are still amber banded? I am, like others have said, fully expecting to be rejected but also I am a bit scared at coming frustratingly close. Not that I want to have flunked the FSAC but also I know I could have done so much better in a couple of the exercises and to think I missed out by such a small margin would infuriate me. Glad to hear the feedback is thorough though.

I was told ages ago that I wouldn't hear until April, but am I right in thinking people on GFS have heard this week?

Well done to all those who got through by the way - it was a gruelling day and to manage to excel is something to be very proud of in my book!
Reply 1991
Original post by ciara
Wow...how many of us are still amber banded? I am, like others have said, fully expecting to be rejected but also I am a bit scared at coming frustratingly close. Not that I want to have flunked the FSAC but also I know I could have done so much better in a couple of the exercises and to think I missed out by such a small margin would infuriate me. Glad to hear the feedback is thorough though.

I was told ages ago that I wouldn't hear until April, but am I right in thinking people on GFS have heard this week?

Well done to all those who got through by the way - it was a gruelling day and to manage to excel is something to be very proud of in my book!

I don't envy you at all. You must be AGONISINGLY close to the pass mark (for better or worse). It took 2 months before I got the result, and that was bad enough. All the best!
Original post by ciara

I'm either amber banded or I don't know what for HoP... hoping to hear next week :smile:
Got 17.38 and immediately successful for Central Departments. However as this is near borderline I suspect I will not be placed until the end of this year or next year.
Reply 1994
Looks like the final pass mark for central departments will be 17 or pretty damn close to it again.

I'm now looking forward to and dreading my FSAC on Wednesday with equal measure. Hopefully I'll be able to fit in some prep time tomorrow as with children's parties both days this weekend I only managed to print out the FSAC guide (thanks to those that pointed me in the right direction BTW, can't believe I didn't find it when I looked for it earlier...) and my 2009 report. I'm planning on reading through them both tomorrow evening, which should hopefully be enough to get me to go to sleep at a more reasonable time than usual...
For everyones information:

if you applied to DS, HoP and CD and you were rejected for DS then you won't get HoP if you didnt put it as your first choice.

The woman on the phone advised me to withdraw from HoP not because I didn't have a high enough score but because they were only inviting people to FSBs who had put HoP first.

So I withdrew and got all my forms and report. Just in case anyone was wondering what their plan was :smile:
Found out I got rejected at 16.2. I'm not sure whether I should post this but though I ought as dyslexic solidarity kind of thing. As some with a disability I received extra time however for the Learning and Development competency after the Group exercise this was done outside the room whereas those without extra time did it inside the room where they could see the name labels and who they were talking about. I was forced to comment on the abilities of another candidate as she was the only one whose name I could remember. This ended up biting me in the ass in my feedback. Certainly I would suggest noting down names of people who you think did badly or well in the exercise. I hope this does not seem like too much of a spoiler as I think the fact L&D happens like this is in the FSAC pack. At 16.2 I doubt this will have made or broken my chances if I had done so but its rare the actually reasonable adjustments make it worse for candidates and the help for those with disabilities has generally been so good I thought I would say.
I registered as having a disability and said the same thing in my feedback. Luckily somebody made a big deal of it in my group, so our supervisor went and got a group list and everyone worked it out from there.
Reply 1998
Original post by Jobhunter
Found out I got rejected at 16.2. I'm not sure whether I should post this but though I ought as dyslexic solidarity kind of thing. As some with a disability I received extra time however for the Learning and Development competency after the Group exercise this was done outside the room whereas those without extra time did it inside the room where they could see the name labels and who they were talking about. I was forced to comment on the abilities of another candidate as she was the only one whose name I could remember. This ended up biting me in the ass in my feedback. Certainly I would suggest noting down names of people who you think did badly or well in the exercise. I hope this does not seem like too much of a spoiler as I think the fact L&D happens like this is in the FSAC pack. At 16.2 I doubt this will have made or broken my chances if I had done so but its rare the actually reasonable adjustments make it worse for candidates and the help for those with disabilities has generally been so good I thought I would say.

I think indirectly, building productive relationships, vis-a-vis building a rapport with your group members before the activities start helps. The good thing is that IF your are not complacent, with a 16.2, you should do well next year. Many successful candidates have done it twice or more.
Reply 1999
Original post by Jobhunter
...I doubt this will have made or broken my chances if I had done so but its rare the actually reasonable adjustments make it worse for candidates and the help for those with disabilities has generally been so good I thought I would say.

Make sure you mention this in the feedback form, or indeed contact them directly about it using the message system. They can only improve things if people let them know what needs improving...

As an aside I'm bloody terrible with names, although I do seem to have done quite well in remembering the names of my daughter's friends and most of their parents though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending