The Student Room Group

India is about to hang someone.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James82
Which bit am I missing? There is nothing in the text quoted that says prisoners of war can't be hanged.

Is he even a prisoner of war?

Indian govt started a war on the sikh nation by bombing golden temple. Baba Rajoana fought back for the Sikhs. So he is our prisoner of war in that sense.
Reply 221
Original post by James82
I doubt it, it's a very long document. I know that 99% of British police officers wouldn't have the first idea about the UK constitution, most of them probably don't even know we have one.

Besides, the whole point of a secular state is that you have constitution that doesn't represent any religion, but all people in a country.

http://thelangarhall.com/general/sikhs-in-the-indian-constitution/
Original post by James82
I doubt it, it's a very long document. I know that 99% of British police officers wouldn't have the first idea about the UK constitution, most of them probably don't even know we have one.

Besides, the whole point of a secular state is that you have constitution that doesn't represent any religion, but all people in a country.

Explanation II In sub clause (b) of clause reference to Hindus shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing the Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion, and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be construed accordingly
Reply 223
Original post by okapobcfc08
yes he is. What about this mate article 25b I think its game set and match to the Khalistan movement and Baba Rajoana.

Explanation II In sub clause (b) of clause reference to Hindus shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing the Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion, and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be construed accordingly

If you're referring to Schedule II clause b then it has been repealed. http://lawmin.nic.in/olwing/coi/coi-english/coi-indexenglish.htm
Original post by f1mad
Do your research.

You will find that the Indian Government censors any campaign for Sikh justice. Hence, by publicising this case Sikhs are able to gain world-wide media attention to show the world how corrupt the justice system is.

As I said before, I am not saying the Indian System is not corrupt.

That has nothing to with what I said which is the issue of guilt. You don't dispute that. Unless, you dispute that issue, then I don't care.
Original post by P.Kaur
It's nonsense to suggest that in every situation, even that of genocide, it is wrong to assassinate the instigator.

Again, another statement.

I don't want a series of statements. I want reasoning contained in it about WHY you believe I am wrong and you are right.
Original post by James82
If you're referring to Schedule II clause b then it has been repealed. http://lawmin.nic.in/olwing/coi/coi-english/coi-indexenglish.htm

where?
Yes but as per international law a prisoner of war cannot be hanged, understand?

Look. You can either read what I wrote or spout your propaganda to someone else.

I have said that he shouldn't be hanged. That is not my point.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Look. You can either read what I wrote or spout your propaganda to someone else.

I have said that he shouldn't be hanged. That is not my point.

what is your point? he has spent 17 years in jail isnt that enough?
Original post by James82

mate your pdf says this:

25. Freedom of conscience and free profession, practice and propagation of religion.—(1) Subject to public order, morality and health and to the other provisions of this Part, all persons are equally entitled to freedom of conscience and the right freely to profess, practise and propagate religion.
(2) Nothing in this article shall affect the operation of any existing law or prevent the State from making any law—
(a) regulating or restricting any economic, financial, political or other secular activity which may be associated with religious practice;
(b) providing for social welfare and reform or the throwing open of Hindu religious institutions of a public character to all classes and sections of Hindus.
Explanation I.—The wearing and carrying of kirpans shall be deemed to be included in the profession of the Sikh religion.
Explanation II.—In sub-clause (b) of clause (2), the reference to Hindus shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing the Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion, and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be construed accordingly.
Reply 230

Original post by James82

So, I've found the bit you're talking abou it is article 25, perhaps it would be better to look at the whole article to see the sentence in context:

25. Freedom of conscience and free profession, practice and
propagation of religion.—(1) Subject to public order, morality and health and
to the other provisions of this Part, all persons are equally entitled to freedom
of conscience and the right freely to profess, practise and propagate religion.
(2) Nothing in this article shall affect the operation of any existing law or
prevent the State from making any law—
(a) regulating or restricting any economic, financial, political or
other secular activity which may be associated with religious practice;
(b) providing for social welfare and reform or the throwing open
of Hindu religious institutions of a public character to all classes and
sections of Hindus
Explanation I.—The wearing and carrying of kirpans shall be deemed to
be included in the profession of the Sikh religion.
Explanation II.—In sub-clause (b) of clause (2), the reference to Hindus
shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing the Sikh, Jaina
or Buddhist religion, and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be
construed accordingly.

Basically I read it as where the constitution once referred to Hindus and Hindu religious institutions it has now been amended and clarified to include other religions. I don't really see the problem, surely this a good thing? Of course it would be better if there were no mention of religion by removing the words I have emboldened above, rather than having to add a clarification listing other religions. But maybe it's just a matter of legal conformity to simply add explanations to amend the constitution rather than rewording the original text.
Reply 231
Original post by James82
So, I've found the bit you're talking abou it is article 25, perhaps it would be better to look at the whole article to see the sentence in context:

Basically I read it as where the constitution once referred to Hindus and Hindu religious institutions it has now been amended and clarified to include other religions. I don't really see the problem, surely this a good thing? Of course it would be better if there were no mention of religion by removing the words I have emboldened above, rather than having to add a clarification listing other religions. But maybe it's just a matter of legal conformity to simply add explanations to amend the constitution rather than rewording the original text.

Whichever way you interpret it, Sikhs are not given separate recognition as a religion. Which we can both agree is ridiculous (given how the two faiths contrast big time).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 232
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I don't really care what other countries want to do. It's none of our concern.

ahh, I wish the british and american governments adopted the same view...
Reply 233
mate your pdf says this:

25. Freedom of conscience and free profession, practice and propagation of religion.—(1) Subject to public order, morality and health and to the other provisions of this Part, all persons are equally entitled to freedom of conscience and the right freely to profess, practise and propagate religion.
(2) Nothing in this article shall affect the operation of any existing law or prevent the State from making any law—
(a) regulating or restricting any economic, financial, political or other secular activity which may be associated with religious practice;
(b) providing for social welfare and reform or the throwing open of Hindu, Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religious institutions of a public character to all classes and sections of Hindus, Sikhs, Jains or Buddhists.
Explanation I.—The wearing and carrying of kirpans shall be deemed to be included in the profession of the Sikh religion.
Explanation II.—In sub-clause (b) of clause (2), the reference to Hindus shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing the Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion, and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be construed accordingly.

Yep, I've just found it as well, I see it as a clarification to include other religions into the constitution. From my understanding the explanation effectively alters the text of the original article as I've highlighted above. Like I said in the above post it would be better to remove all mention of individual religions, but maybe it's just a legal thing that amendments can't be made like that, I don't know.
Original post by James82

what are you on about mate. Where is the mention of chrisitanity or islam in the previous clause. I am insulted that you suggest that I should happy that my religion got brackted in with Hinduism in the constitution, dont forget con-man Gandhi's promises about sikh representation in constitution
Reply 235
Original post by f1mad
Whichever way you interpret it, Sikhs are not given separate recognition as a religion. Which we can both agree is ridiculous (given how the two faiths contrast big time).

I have never lived in India, so I can't say what it's like in reality for a Sikh and whether they get the same recognition as others, but the constitution has been amended/clarified to give them that same recognition in theory.
Reply 236
what are you on about mate. Where is the mention of chrisitanity or islam in the previous clause. I am insulted that you suggest that I should happy that my religion got brackted in with Hinduism in the constitution, dont forget con-man Gandhi's promises about sikh representation in constitution

I agree that other religions should be included in their too, or preferably the mention to individual religions removed all together, but at least we have shown that Sikhs are afforded the same theoretical rights in the constitution now as Hindus.
Reply 237
dont forget con-man Gandhi's promises about sikh representation in constitution

Totally correct.

Gandhi stated that, if after independence, Sikhs were not satisfied with their situation, they had the right to raise their swords against the Indian government. Later, Gandhi stated mockingly that the Sikhs had made the sword their religion, eluding that the Sikhs do not use their brains but only their swords.

Nehru stated that he saw nothing wrong with setting up a state in India where the Sikhs could "enjoy the glow of freedom". Later, when he turned down the request to make such a state, a Sikh reminded him of this promise. Nehru's response: Things have changed.
Reply 238
Original post by James82
I agree that other religions should be included in their too, or preferably the mention to individual religions removed all together, but at least we have shown that Sikhs are afforded the same theoretical rights in the constitution now as Hindus.

Come on, this is simply a case of De jure and De facto.

Sikhs in theory are given rights. But in practice, really? We can easily relate this situation with the struggle for African American civil rights.

Even still: quite clearly Sikhs are discriminated upon the fact that their marriage is recognised under "Hindu law".
Original post by James82

lol baba rajoana showed it didnt he that no Sikhs get jack from dirty indian consitution do you agree that he deserves not to be hanged now after this mini history replay lol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending