The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FatCharlie
Hi, I applied for BA Arabic/BA Middle Eastern Studies and I have been waiting as well. I am applying as a "mature student"(& EU national) with grades lower than requested but with a bit or experience in the field. I was dead sure they they had rejected me but just forgot to inform UCAS.
However, today I got an email from the department inviting me to an interview next Monday (30th). Very unexpected and happy news.
SOAS have been known to be a bit slow so I bet your email will follow shortly.

While on the subject, does anyone have some good tips on what to prepare for the interview? Do they usually call people for interviews? And is it worth spending the money to fly over there (I am currently in Cairo studying) for a face-to-face interview or is it "okay" to do it over the phone? I don't want them to get the impression that I am not devoted or interested enough.

Hi! I had an interview at SOAS for BA Social Anthropology last month as I will be a mature student by the time the course starts in September. In the email it said it was a scheduled 15 minute interview but mine lasted well over an hour in the end. It's just to see if you're ready for studying - asking about your interests and also to give you a bit of information about the course you're applying for. I would say it's worth it to look around, my interview was around lunch time so it was nice to see students out and the "real" SOAS, not just an open day equivalent (from my experience they can be totally different). By all means, if you're planning to fly from Cairo it may be worth your while getting in touch with the specific department to see if they can accommodate a phone interview. Good luck!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by blank-slate
Hi! I had an interview at SOAS for BA Social Anthropology last month as I will be a mature student by the time the course starts in September. In the email it said it was a scheduled 15 minute interview but mine lasted well over an hour in the end. It's just to see if you're ready for studying - asking about your interests and also to give you a bit of information about the course you're applying for. I would say it's worth it to look around, my interview was around lunch time so it was nice to see students out and the "real" SOAS, not just an open day equivalent (from my experience they can be totally different). By all means, if you're planning to fly from Cairo it may be worth your while getting in touch with the specific department to see if they can accommodate a phone interview. Good luck!

Hi! Tank you so much for your reply!
So, then perhaps, it could be worth the trip over there, even tho the high fare. I have emailed them (Thursday evening) explaining to them that I'm in Cairo(which they know previously since I mentioned it in my PS) and that I will be missing up to three days of classes if I do travel but that I will come if they favor a face-to-face interview than just by phone. I will wait for their response and kind of "analyze" what they seem to prefer :smile:
Reply 422
Withdrew my application.. they took too long :s-smilie:
Original post by SaharaDesert
Just sent an email to SOAS admin, how long do you think it will take for them to reply? I hear the admin is really bad. At least within a week right? ...

The admissions team was very efficient 3 months ago, when i mailed them.
Just sent an email to SOAS admin, how long do you think it will take for them to reply? I hear the admin is really bad. At least within a week right? ...

It kind of depends. I have emailed them about 4 times since I made my application. One update about the fact that I miss translated the name of one of my courses (got a fast reply, about 2 days later) one about that I enrolled in distance uni courses (no reply) one asking them for a skype/phone interview since I am currently living in Cairo(no reply) and one confirming that I will show up for their face-to-face interview tomorrow(got a reply after 10 min)
Oh that sounds dodgy lol. Good old soas...
You think if They don't reply within a week, and I resend the email again it will be annoying? I don't want to irritate them but my query is kind of urgent.:frown:

Well, if I were you I'd send them an email asking for a conformation that they have received the email and ask them if they have made a decision or what ever it was that you emailed them about. And hope that they will reply in the next couple of days.
Reply 426
Has ever happened to anyone to miss the English level requirements and be admitted anyway?
I'm quite happy! I just got my unconditional offers on both the courses I applied for(BA Arabic/BA Middle Eastern Studies). Looks like the trip all the way to London was a good investment after all!

Hope to see you all this September!
Reply 428
Original post by Loretto
Got rejected for Korean and I don't know what to do...:confused:
So pissed off right now as the rejection doesn't even contain a reason why they chose their decision.

Hey I do Korean at SOAS in my first year atm, sorry to hear you were rejected :frown:

What were your predicted A Levels? And is one of them in a language?
Reply 429
omg, I just received the offer for BA LAW and Economics today at 7pm after almost 6 months' waiting and countless inquiries. I firm it immediately as I logged on my ucas. So happy now. So I assume I will meet you guys there in September?
Original post by sgyanel
omg, I just received the offer for BA LAW and Economics today at 7pm after almost 6 months' waiting and countless inquiries. I firm it immediately as I logged on my ucas. So happy now. So I assume I will meet you guys there in September?

Grats! Most def, will see you in September, I confirmed Arabic today as well (Decided I wanted that more than Middle Eastern Studies)
Now time to sort out accommodation :P
Reply 431
Hi guys,

I want to apply for a certificate in comparative law, can anyone please tell me if it will lead to an LLM or to a MA for the next year? If it doesn't what is the quickest way to get to an LLM or MA?

Thanks in advance :wink:
Reply 432
Original post by sgyanel

Congrats :smile: hopefully I ll see you in september
Reply 433
Freshers :pierre: Fresh blood :ahee:
Original post by ussumane
Freshers :pierre: Fresh blood :ahee:

Silly.
Reply 435
Postgrad application in and with CISD for Global Energy and Climate Policy...

Really hope it doesn't take too long for me to hear back!
Reply 436
Original post by StephieB
Postgrad application in and with CISD for Global Energy and Climate Policy...

Really hope it doesn't take too long for me to hear back!

I applied to the CISD for International Studies and Diplomacy; I probably received my offer about 2 weeks after applying. This was back in January, however.
Firmed SOAS for Law a couple of days agooo :biggrin:
Now just gotta get the grades....
Reply 438
Original post by Stilo
I applied to the CISD for International Studies and Diplomacy; I probably received my offer about 2 weeks after applying. This was back in January, however.

Congratulations :smile:

Fingers crossed I'll be joining you! I don't even know how many people they take each year...
Reply 439
Original post by StephieB
Congratulations :smile:

Fingers crossed I'll be joining you! I don't even know how many people they take each year...

I'm sure you'll be fine. You clearly really want this and I'm sure you've meticulously followed through the necessary steps to achieve acceptance. Also, is CISD really selective?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending