The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbow drops
You should definitely sit down and talk this over with him properly. You might try staying together when he leaves for his placement and find that it doesn't work out, but at least you'll have tried! It seems absolutely senseless to throw away a relationship without even giving the long distance a go, especially since it could be so much worse than seeing each other every fortnight or so.

Three year anniversary with my boyfriend today :love: we've made it through months and months of 'normal' LDR (being a few hours from each other by train) and four months of barely any contact when he was travelling around Asia and America on a merchant navy ship :smile: third year in a row of being apart on our anniversary, unfortunately, but I'm so happy!

I tried persuading to him to give it a go but he has already made up his mind and doesn't want to try a LDR. It just seems completely out of the blue when everything was going so well, then he tells me if we were friends it would make him miss me less?! I just hope over the summer with us not talking everyday and not seeing each other, it will make him realise that he misses me more when he never gets to see me, and will want to try an LDR...I hope anyway! If not then i'll have to accept it's over :frown:

Congrats on yours :smile: that is really sweet. Relationships like yours proves that love can overcome distance!
Reply 8341
So......to cut a long story short:

My on/off LDR of 3.5 years looks like it's about to end...we have had a lot of ups and downs but I always loved her and still do, and still believe we can be together...but as we were only seeing each other every ~6 months or so, she decided she had reached her tolerance point and we just weren't seeing each other enough, and wanted to see how things go with another guy who has been after her for over a year, who also doesnt live close to her, but has money to burn so can see her whenever and pay for her flight to see him.

Now I am very tempted, to literally spend £1k on a flight and take a few days off work to see her next week. Firstly to try to show her how much she means to me, and to tell this guy to **** off. He has even sent me very rude emails telling me to stop calling her and calling me very bad names. No way does he deserve her.

Now this woman is someone who I am in love with and am prepared to move countries to be with her. After this I am off course not sure anymore, but I feel as though I need to do something. I know in the long-run the right thing is probably to just leave it, if she wants to be with him then she's not worth it, but I feel like love is something worth fighting for, especially for 'the one', so think I should try anyway, to at least not regret it later...hmmm.
How do all of you deal with missing your partner when you're apart?

We're only LDR during uni holidays, which is a better situation than some of you are in, I know. But I'm used to seeing him pretty much every day during term time as we lived in the same block and seeing him is always the highlight of my day then. I've been home from uni for a week and have missed him terribly most of this time. It doesn't help that he doesn't have the internet at home, so we can't use Skype, and mostly keep in touch by text. Phone reception's really bad at his house so his phone doesn't always pick up my texts, and the waiting around for a reply drives me mad sometimes. We have spoken on the phone once since leaving uni which was nice (if a little weird to begin with because we're not used to speaking to each other and not having the other's physical presence there).

I won't be seeing him until 18th July and it feels like such a long time away right now. The other night I missed him particularly badly (and am starting to miss him that much right now, actually) and actually considered just going into town and jumping on a train to where he lives, which is about 4-5 hours away from where I live, before I started thinking rationally and realised that I didn't have enough money to do that. But I was *this* close to doing it, which worried me a bit.

I just really miss having him there, seeing his face, hearing his voice, just talking for ages about anything at all, cuddling up in bed, just doing things together. And I get worried that he can't be missing me this much. I worry about our relationship going wrong a little more than is probably normal, and being this far away from him doesn't help that either.
Reply 8343
Original post by BlueSheep32
How do all of you deal with missing your partner when you're apart?

We're only LDR during uni holidays, which is a better situation than some of you are in, I know. But I'm used to seeing him pretty much every day during term time as we lived in the same block and seeing him is always the highlight of my day then. I've been home from uni for a week and have missed him terribly most of this time. It doesn't help that he doesn't have the internet at home, so we can't use Skype, and mostly keep in touch by text. Phone reception's really bad at his house so his phone doesn't always pick up my texts, and the waiting around for a reply drives me mad sometimes. We have spoken on the phone once since leaving uni which was nice (if a little weird to begin with because we're not used to speaking to each other and not having the other's physical presence there).

I won't be seeing him until 18th July and it feels like such a long time away right now. The other night I missed him particularly badly (and am starting to miss him that much right now, actually) and actually considered just going into town and jumping on a train to where he lives, which is about 4-5 hours away from where I live, before I started thinking rationally and realised that I didn't have enough money to do that. But I was *this* close to doing it, which worried me a bit.

I just really miss having him there, seeing his face, hearing his voice, just talking for ages about anything at all, cuddling up in bed, just doing things together. And I get worried that he can't be missing me this much. I worry about our relationship going wrong a little more than is probably normal, and being this far away from him doesn't help that either.

Firstly, we have all had that moment where we have been very tempted to just jump on a train and see them so don't beat yourself up about that.

My main advice is to keep busy, tbh this is how I cope. I tend to go out and see friends, go swimming/to the gym, take up a new hobby. Anything that takes my mind off the fact I'm missing him. I know it seems like ages but its another 2 weeks to go (its definitely relative, 2 weeks for someone is challenging and for another easy so please don't feel I'm having a go), just plan out what you're doing for the next 2 weeks so you're not waiting for a text as that way you'll a) have more to talk about when you do chat and b) it will keep your mind off things. Also if the only contact you have is texts and internet is patchy why not send long emails or even write letters to one another as they can be a nice little surprise to get on the mail :smile:

Also feel free to rant and rave in her and the chat thread (in chat section of this forum) as tbh without that I doubt I'd have been able to cope with LDR.
Reply 8344
Original post by az08

My on/off LDR of 3.5 years looks like it's about to end...we have had a lot of ups and downs but I always loved her and still do, and still believe we can be together...but as we were only seeing each other every ~6 months or so, she decided she had reached her tolerance point and we just weren't seeing each other enough, and wanted to see how things go with another guy who has been after her for over a year, who also doesnt live close to her, but has money to burn so can see her whenever and pay for her flight to see him.

Now I am very tempted, to literally spend £1k on a flight and take a few days off work to see her next week. Firstly to try to show her how much she means to me, and to tell this guy to **** off. He has even sent me very rude emails telling me to stop calling her and calling me very bad names. No way does he deserve her.

Now this woman is someone who I am in love with and am prepared to move countries to be with her. After this I am off course not sure anymore, but I feel as though I need to do something. I know in the long-run the right thing is probably to just leave it, if she wants to be with him then she's not worth it, but I feel like love is something worth fighting for, especially for 'the one', so think I should try anyway, to at least not regret it later...hmmm.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't go, in my mind she's using the distance as an excuse to break up and get with this other guy and if you go over you're only going to feel embarassed and humiliated. I think its time to accept the relationship is over which ****ing sucks but its time to move on, take it as a fantastic learning experience and experience in general and focus on you.
Original post by 22KT22
Firstly, we have all had that moment where we have been very tempted to just jump on a train and see them so don't beat yourself up about that.

My main advice is to keep busy, tbh this is how I cope. I tend to go out and see friends, go swimming/to the gym, take up a new hobby. Anything that takes my mind off the fact I'm missing him. I know it seems like ages but its another 2 weeks to go (its definitely relative, 2 weeks for someone is challenging and for another easy so please don't feel I'm having a go), just plan out what you're doing for the next 2 weeks so you're not waiting for a text as that way you'll a) have more to talk about when you do chat and b) it will keep your mind off things. Also if the only contact you have is texts and internet is patchy why not send long emails or even write letters to one another as they can be a nice little surprise to get on the mail :smile:

Also feel free to rant and rave in her and the chat thread (in chat section of this forum) as tbh without that I doubt I'd have been able to cope with LDR.

Thanks :smile: I don't know why I didn't think to post in here before!

I am trying my best to keep myself busy; I've met up with friends a few times, and have another meet-up planned, and I might also have got a job. It doesn't seem to be stopping me from thinking about stuff completely though. I keep going between thinking "another 2 and a bit weeks, come on, that's not too long, you've done it before" and "2 and a bit weeks is absolutely ages". Right now it's the latter. He's also my best friend and the person I'm closest to out of everyone I know, so I find it especially hard as I miss that as well. At Christmas we didn't see each other for a month, after having seen each other almost every day since meeting at the beginning of October, and that was difficult then, and although we were close then, we were nowhere near as close as we are now so this feels even harder.

I've bought a couple of notecards that I could send, so I might write in one of those later.

We are trying to arrange to see each other as much as possible (after I see him in mid-July I'll see him again at the beginning of August) but my parents are making it a bit difficult - my birthday's in the middle of August and I really want him to come up for that. But I've been asking them to discuss it for ages - nigh on a month - and they still haven't, because of it also being a festival that we often go to that weekend. Now I've been to that festival a lot of times before and it's pretty much the same every year, and I would much rather be at home on my birthday, but they don't seem to have considered that. My parents were once in an LDR themselves so even though they say they understand how I feel, it often feels like they don't. I don't want to annoy them by keeping mentioning it but he needs to know what he's doing as well and it's making me feel a bit edgy because it's not sorted out.
Reply 8346
Thanks :smile: I don't know why I didn't think to post in here before!

I am trying my best to keep myself busy; I've met up with friends a few times, and have another meet-up planned, and I might also have got a job. It doesn't seem to be stopping me from thinking about stuff completely though. I keep going between thinking "another 2 and a bit weeks, come on, that's not too long, you've done it before" and "2 and a bit weeks is absolutely ages". Right now it's the latter. He's also my best friend and the person I'm closest to out of everyone I know, so I find it especially hard as I miss that as well. At Christmas we didn't see each other for a month, after having seen each other almost every day since meeting at the beginning of October, and that was difficult then, and although we were close then, we were nowhere near as close as we are now so this feels even harder.

I've bought a couple of notecards that I could send, so I might write in one of those later.

We are trying to arrange to see each other as much as possible (after I see him in mid-July I'll see him again at the beginning of August) but my parents are making it a bit difficult - my birthday's in the middle of August and I really want him to come up for that. But I've been asking them to discuss it for ages - nigh on a month - and they still haven't, because of it also being a festival that we often go to that weekend. Now I've been to that festival a lot of times before and it's pretty much the same every year, and I would much rather be at home on my birthday, but they don't seem to have considered that. My parents were once in an LDR themselves so even though they say they understand how I feel, it often feels like they don't. I don't want to annoy them by keeping mentioning it but he needs to know what he's doing as well and it's making me feel a bit edgy because it's not sorted out.

I would leave it a few days then bring it up again and just say that he needs to know for time off work and transport arrangements, hopefully then they wont get too annoyed.

I know how you feel, some days 2 weeks will seem like it will fly by and others it may as well be a year. You just have to stop yourself when you start to doubt and question things as its a slippery slope which distance doesnt help!
Original post by 22KT22
I would leave it a few days then bring it up again and just say that he needs to know for time off work and transport arrangements, hopefully then they wont get too annoyed.

I know how you feel, some days 2 weeks will seem like it will fly by and others it may as well be a year. You just have to stop yourself when you start to doubt and question things as its a slippery slope which distance doesnt help!

I'll do that. I'm just worried that they'll leave it for ages before discussing it and then train fare will be too expensive or something. If they do do that I'm tempted to ask them to pay for some of it!

Yeah, it's been just over a week since I last saw him and it feels like it's been a long time already. Doesn't help that last time we saw each other we were both sobbing about not seeing each other for 3 and a half weeks :frown: Distance doesn't help it at all; but apparently as he replies to my texts pretty much straight away, it means that I'm one of the most important people in his life, as he rarely does that with anyone else. I'm just having a bad few days of really missing him right now, not helped by listening to music that always reminds me of him (and that he's said reminds him of me) yesterday :s-smilie: I never learn.
Original post by az08

Jesus.

This is so romantic.

I need to find your girlfriend and force her to get an eye-test.

You sound lovely!
Reply 8349
Original post by Shehz94
Jesus.

This is so romantic.

I need to find your girlfriend and force her to get an eye-test.

You sound lovely!

Hehe I need to find her too..been trying to no avail the last few days. She has just started her holidays and I think this guy has taken her somewhere. Honestly, whatever country in the world she is in, I'm going to go to see her, to know for sure one way or another, to move on for good or not. I have a few days off work from Wednesday. Just don't know where she is :frown: still working on that :tongue:
Original post by az08
Hehe I need to find her too..been trying to no avail the last few days. She has just started her holidays and I think this guy has taken her somewhere. Honestly, whatever country in the world she is in, I'm going to go to see her, to know for sure one way or another, to move on for good or not. I have a few days off work from Wednesday. Just don't know where she is :frown: still working on that :tongue:

Well, whatever happens, good luck :smile:

And, definitely go for it, because otherwise you may be left wondering 'what if?'
I knew I'd find being apart difficult but not seeing him is making me feel terrible :frown:

And I've been trying to do things to keep my mind off it, but whatever I do, it's always just there. Went out with some friends tonight and that should have done it but it didn't. I was alright until halfway through the meet-up when I started to really struggle to keep myself together - I don't think there being two couples there helped at all, really. I feel so pathetic. He surely can't be finding this as painful as I am, which makes me feel a bit worse.
Reply 8352
LDR just got about 10 times worse. I'm going to be out here for an extra year. FFS, FML.
Reply 8353
I knew I'd find being apart difficult but not seeing him is making me feel terrible :frown:

And I've been trying to do things to keep my mind off it, but whatever I do, it's always just there. Went out with some friends tonight and that should have done it but it didn't. I was alright until halfway through the meet-up when I started to really struggle to keep myself together - I don't think there being two couples there helped at all, really. I feel so pathetic. He surely can't be finding this as painful as I am, which makes me feel a bit worse.

:hugs: Couples never help because as much as you try you will always be slightly jealous!! Don't beat yourself up, I would be far more concerned if you didn't feel upset about not seeing him. You're doing well, and not locking yourself in your room and wallowing so keep doing what you're doing!
Reply 8354
Original post by Shehz94
Well, whatever happens, good luck :smile:

And, definitely go for it, because otherwise you may be left wondering 'what if?'

I just made a seperate topic...I thought that as well...but this is what happened.

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Long distance sucks! :frown:
Reply 8356
An update on my LDR - it's going to become a much less LDR - we'll be on the same time zone and in the same country soon. My problem is that I can't exactly get out of the country, and I feel like I've been in an expensive holiday, spending £30k for this trip :/

It's going to cause a lot of financial drain :frown:
My girlfriend and I just broke up from our LDR today - Though I don't think the distance really had any affect whatsoever on the decision.

I was once told that if you're in an LDR, and you break up, it makes things easier because you aren't really going to bump into them in any awkward situations. Whilst that's true, I disagree that it makes things any easier. I loved having a LDR. I loved the foundations of it, having to rely on what felt like quite obscure ways to communicate and keep the relationship going. Skyping her, when we did, was the highlight of my day.

Obviously, I would never suggest to someone to deliberately go out with someone because they're long distance, that's closing in on insanity. Never let it put you off though. It can be tough, but it is incredibly rewarding and comforting to know that your relationship can last despite the distance... (mine isn't the best case here. Though I guess it still proves my point. We didn't break up because of the distance, so that shows that for our relationship it wasn't something that stopped us from having a good relationship).

I'm definitely going to miss her though. I'm at that stage at the moment where it's a bit of limbo, will we try to be friends or not? If not, will we at least be facebook friends? It's a scary place to be to be honest, but i'm sure things will work themselves out.
Original post by az08
I just made a seperate topic...I thought that as well...but this is what happened.

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Ahh, that sucks, hope everything works out mate :smile:
Not as long distance as some people but still.

My boyfriend went to uni in September last year (I've just finished year 13) but he only went somewhere about an hour away from where I live so I was able to see him very often and stay with him in his student accommodation etc. Plus I rarely had much work to do so we spoke online pretty much every night. But come October I'm going to uni and the distance between us is gonna increase to something around 4 hours :/. Whenever I speak to him about how we're gonna see each other he seems very negative about it and reluctant to come visit me. I'm also worried that being as I'll actually have work to do next year I'll have less time to phone him every night etc. We've been together for over 3 years so obviously I don't wanna break up but he seems to be taking the distance thing as meaning we can't stay together :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending