The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Einheri
Who teaches there and what are they charging?

Master Salvatore Pace.

I've heard good things about him from a friend. I think it's about £35 for one session per week, plus £10 off if you're a student or something. £25 is still quite a lot per month for a student, and that's for only one class per week. Ideally I'd like to do two per week, one no-gi BJJ and one MMA class. I'll be doing kickboxing/boxing and hopefully judo at the uni anyway, but I love BJJ so I'd really like to join the Barra gym.
Original post by Einheri
My school is £50 a month for unlimited training, I take both the fundamental, Advanced and sparring class every day and I also take a Freestyle wrestling class once a week (£5), a Judo class twice a week (£3 each), and a boxing class (£3). It's Victor Estima's school, Gracie Barra Midlands.

What do you guys pay? And out of interest what does Roger charge?

Who teaches there and what are they charging?

I like the philosophy too. I tend to use the guard as more of a sweeping position catching submissions if I can but with getting off my back as the aim, which was pretty much how Carlson viewed it. Who heads the team since he died? Presumably one of his sons.

Rogers is £90 a month for white belts and £100 for blue and above. They only teach BJJ there as well which put me off a little despite the obvious quality of the BJJ instruction.

Carlson's is £75 a month and has a ridiculous amount of classes.

Yeah Carlson Jr.
Original post by Busby_Babe
Rogers is £90 a month for white belts and £100 for blue and above. They only teach BJJ there as well which put me off a little despite the obvious quality of the BJJ instruction.

Carlson's is £75 a month and has a ridiculous amount of classes.

Yeah Carlson Jr.

Is the Carlson one the one in Hammersmith? I've been meaning to check that one out for month but my coach for the past six months has been convincing me that he will eventually find a BJJ coach. No luck yet haha.

EDIT:

Contracts -_- Not cool.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention it here. My hip surgery is tomorrow. I'm hoping it goes well and I can get into martial arts quickly again. Alternatively, it could go horribly wrong and I'll never set foot on the mat again haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Bassman
My hip surgery is tomorrow. I'm hoping it goes well and I can get into martial arts quickly again. Alternatively, it could go horribly wrong and I'll never set foot on the mat again haha.

How did it go?
Original post by Einheri
How did it go?

It went well! It's still a bit sore two days later but I'm already walking without crutches a bit. The amount of physio stuff I have to do is ridiculous but meh, it'll be worth it.
Original post by Einheri
No. I practice BJJ primarily and crosstrain in Judo and Freestyle Wrestling, other guys here do Judo, BJJ, Boxing, et cetera. The only person who seems to be into the TMA bull**** is Indo-Chinese Food and the occasional 18-year-old girl who enters the thread.

LOL and yet the irony so obviously lost on you that this The Martial Arts Society ie where people are suppossed to actually have some knowledge and practical experience of TMAs. There are UFC, WWE and xbox forums im sure for you and the other kids on TSR are there not? Why would i want to have a conversation about any martial art with someone who did after-school judo classes and watches wrestling :rolleyes:
The only time i post here is to correct schoolkid ignorance.
(edited 11 years ago)
It went well! It's still a bit sore two days later but I'm already walking without crutches a bit. The amount of physio stuff I have to do is ridiculous but meh, it'll be worth it.

Make sure you do it properly. I knew a few people who had successful surgery and messed up by slacking with their rehab.

Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
LOL and yet the irony so obviously lost on you that this The Martial Arts Society ie where people are suppossed to actually have some knowledge and practical experience of TMAs. There are UFC, WWE and xbox forums im sure for you and the other kids on TSR are there not? Why would i want to have a conversation about any martial art with someone who did after-school judo classes and watches wrestling :rolleyes:
The only time i post here is to correct schoolkid ignorance.

So everyone who does Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo or Wrestling is just an idiot who plays UFC on xbox? (don't see why playing an xbox would affect your ability as a martial artist anyway)

What's wrong with after school Judo classes? What if you go to school? Is Judo more effective when taught on a Saturday?
Anyone catch the Judo yesterday? Sarah Menezes was awesome. Apparently the Brazilian Judo team have a full time BJJ coach, I think it really showed.
Anyone catch the Judo yesterday? Sarah Menezes was awesome. Apparently the Brazilian Judo team have a full time BJJ coach, I think it really showed.

I only caught the Male Judo :smile: it was amazing and yeah it did show! (:

I'm not watching it live as I disagree with Judo being an Olympic sport and don't want to support it as such. I think the Olympics are bad for Judo (unnecessary and damaging rule changes, Olympic committee has too much power/influence over Judo even at the club level, over-emphasizing the sporting aspect, et cetera).
I watched a bit of the judo but it was pretty boring, the boxing is waaaaay better

Glad to hear it. How long until you're back on the mats?
Original post by Einheri
I'm not watching it live as I disagree with Judo being an Olympic sport and don't want to support it as such. I think the Olympics are bad for Judo (unnecessary and damaging rule changes, Olympic committee has too much power/influence over Judo even at the club level, over-emphasizing the sporting aspect, et cetera).

I agree they've butchered the sport although they've been a little better with just letting them fight this year.
Original post by Einheri
Glad to hear it. How long until you're back on the mats?

My recovery timetable says combat sports are good to go after 16 weeks, but I'm young and i'm already recovering really quickly so it could be sooner. Even then, my coach says I'll be able to punch from a still position in a couple of weeks anyway. My main goal is to lose as little fitness as possible. As soon as I'm allowed to go at full intensity on the bike machine I'll be happy :smile:
Make sure you do it properly. I knew a few people who had successful surgery and messed up by slacking with their rehab.

So everyone who does Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo or Wrestling is just an idiot who plays UFC on xbox? (don't see why playing an xbox would affect your ability as a martial artist anyway)

What's wrong with after school Judo classes? What if you go to school? Is Judo more effective when taught on a Saturday?

no, when did i refer to muay thai?, my post was actually referring to the wrestling and/or judo players such as einheri that from tv and games never worked out the differentiation between controlled-contact competition sports, styleised martial arts movies and practical martial arts, the latter generally not as popular as the 2 former with typical tsr adolecents. I queried what brainless teens that more usually spend their time blowing their loads watching the ufc or cage rage are doing on The Martial Arts Society thread, trying to lecture people with many times more experience than themselves. But then.. i suppose when you think about it thats exactly what you would expect of a bedroom adolescent.
Judo was invented for school kids if you had any knowledge of its lineage, so it doesnt really matter when it is taught.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
I'm not watching it live as I disagree with Judo being an Olympic sport and don't want to support it as such. I think the Olympics are bad for Judo (unnecessary and damaging rule changes, Olympic committee has too much power/influence over Judo even at the club level, over-emphasizing the sporting aspect,et cetera).

over-emphasising the sporting aspect of a sport - what were the IOC thinking :rolleyes:
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
over-emphasising the sporting aspect of a sport - what were the IOC thinking :rolleyes:

"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Kano Jigoro
Original post by Einheri
"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Kano Jigoro

"You may be a 14 year old black belt if you wish"
I used to study Taekwondo between the ages 7-15.

Only reason I'm not a 3rd dan blackbelt is a persistent ankle injury. Ankle injuries and a predominatly kicking martial arts do not mix. Wish I was still doing it.
Indo Chinese. Judo and wrestling are both practical martial arts. If anything the sporting side proves their practicality whereas TMA simply ask us to believe they are effective with no evidence. I can show you numerous videos where these martial arts have been used effectively in real world situations even by people who are seemingly low levels. I'm yet to see someone defend themselves using TMA. If you can give me examples I will happily take that back but unless you can show me examples of people using TMA to defend themselves I will remain sceptical. The burden of proof is on the person making the claims. BJJ, wrestling and judo have all proved to be effective in fights outside of sport.

Quick Reply

Latest