The Student Room Group

Gone Behind my Back to See a Friend Who Fancies Her ADVICE NEEDED

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sweet_Heart
Whilst I agree that she has behaved completely out of order, I'm also aware that you said that this was a four year relationship - is it worth chucking her over this? I mean, don't let her get away with it - a stern word and if she does it again she's out - but I think I would be wanting to give her the benefit of the doubt if it was me. After a hell of a lot of grovelling from her, of course.

The thing is it's a trust thing. On one hand it would be a waste, but after she's lied to me massively i don't know if i'll be able to trust her again really.
Original post by redferry
Obviously you would be unhappy, all I was saying is I can see why she would lie. If he is going to go mad and say no then the only way she can go see her friend is if she lies. Essentially she should have told him and if he had a problem made the choice between her friend and her boyfriend, but obviously that is not going to be a choice she wants to have to make!

The lying is obviously the main issue here, but I don't think it necessarily means that she has anything to hide, just that he made her feel the need to hide it from him by having a trust issue in the first place.

I would argue that if she knew he would go mad about her going, then she shouldn't be going at all, because his feelings should be her priority. I think actually talking to him about it and reaching a compromise - such as not staying in his room - would have been much more considerate than thinking 'If I don't tell him, I can still go', because at the end of the day, I think, at least, that not giving my partner reason to feel insecure would have more value than getting to go.

I understand that she probably didn't tell him because she didn't want drama, but I think that if she knew her actions would cause drama and cared, she wouldn't have gone in the first place, or rather, she would have talked to him about it. The fact that the going clearly mattered more to her than how OP feels, I do find a little suspicious. I'm just not a big fan of liars to be honest!
Original post by Teemo
Hi,

My girlfriend of 4 years has done something quite bad. The other day she said she was going home to her parents for a week. However i've since found out that that was a lie, and she's made a 4 hour journey to Manchester to stay with a (male) friend for a week. The friend she's gone to stay with has tried to get with her numerous times in the past. Now she is spending a week sleeping in the same room as him.

I've confronted her about this and she thinks she's done nothing wrong, asides from lying about where she was going. She says she just wants to see Manchester and get away for a bit.

I'm livid. Not only has she betrayed my trust by going behind my back. She's also sleeping in the same room as, and spending 24 hours a day with, someone that obviously fancies her. She say's she hasn't slept with him, but this isnt normal behaviour of someone in a relationship.

Tell me i'm not mental. I've got a good reason to be mad right?

No, you're not mental. You're right to be angry. In fact you'd be mental not to be angry.

I don't understand all these people who go: 'comeeee on, its totally fine to sleep in the same room as a guy if you have a bf and it's even more fine to sleep in the same bed as a guy friend. I mean what could possibly go wrong when you're just friends? I mean it's not as if there are two sets of genitals within close proximity of eachother or anything is it??? And it's not as if one person can have ever feel for lust for another, even if they claim not to. '

I mean come on, your gf is just being retarded, dishonest with herself, or dishonest with you, or all of the above.

I agree that relationships have trust as their basis but with that level of looseness in your definition of trust, I hate to think what disloyalty would account for.

If that's our definition of trust and a working relationship in today's society, we might as well just all be in a massive free-for-all.

There is something deeply wrong with the fact your gf doesn't acknowledge she has done something wrong beyond lying here... if she didn't think there was something wrong, why lie in the first place?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Teemo
The thing is it's a trust thing. On one hand it would be a waste, but after she's lied to me massively i don't know if i'll be able to trust her again really.

I understand that, but she hasn't lied to you 'massively', at least not in my opinion. She has lied, she is wrong, and it looks suspicious, but I do think you should hear her out. With a bit of luck she has learnt her mistake and won't do the same thing again. But obviously that's your call.
Original post by SummitOfReason

Hey men cheat a lot too! It's less about the sex of the person and more about the loyalty problem of the individual. Some people are less loyal than others, gender doesn't come into it so don't be saying '****ing women'. Besides surveys show 78% of men have cheated on their partners. So...

Hey i wasn't saying women cheat, i was saying "****in' women", cause is just seems to me like women want to do whatever the hell they like, but don't want you doing the same thing.

I.e my ex would of not been ok with me having a girl round to sleep, but she wanted to do it herself. And she certainly wouldn't of been ok with me telling some little fitty that she can cuddle me if it's cold, but did it herself.

Hence, ****in' women :frown:

Obviously (well i bloody hope) there are women who aren't like this, but i'm pretty bitter atm, i wasn't making a proper generalisation about women, just in my experience they seem to be very illogical individuals and rather hypocritical.
Reply 25
I would argue that if she knew he would go mad about her going, then she shouldn't be going at all, because his feelings should be her priority. I think actually talking to him about it and reaching a compromise - such as not staying in his room - would have been much more considerate than thinking 'If I don't tell him, I can still go', because at the end of the day, I think, at least, that not giving my partner reason to feel insecure would have more value than getting to go.

I understand that she probably didn't tell him because she didn't want drama, but I think that if she knew her actions would cause drama and cared, she wouldn't have gone in the first place, or rather, she would have talked to him about it. The fact that the going clearly mattered more to her than how OP feels, I do find a little suspicious. I'm just not a big fan of liars to be honest!

I would argue that if he was going to 'go mad' over anything she wanted to do instead of talking it through reasonably she should leave. But I guess that is just self-confidence and personal feelings of what you will put up with in a relationship. I can't deal with someone telling me what I can and can't do, and I would never do that to someone I am in a relationship with.

Yeah she should have talked to him about it, she didn't, but that doesn't mean she definitely cheated. It just shows there is something wrong in the relationship in that she doesn't feel she can tell him.
Original post by Spetznaaz
Hey i wasn't saying women cheat, i was saying "****in' women", cause is just seems to me like women want to do whatever the hell they like, but don't want you doing the same thing.

I.e my ex would of not been ok with me having a girl round to sleep, but she wanted to do it herself. And she certainly wouldn't of been ok with me telling some little fitty that she can cuddle me if it's cold, but did it herself.

Obviously (well i bloody hope) there are women who aren't like this, but i'm pretty bitter atm, i wasn't making a proper generalisation about women, just in my experience they seem to be very illogical individuals and rather hypocritical.

So she wanted to have a guy round to sleep or a girl round to sleep?
Reply 27

That is a proper generalisation that hounds women throughout daily life including in the workplace.
Please don't ascribe to the stereotype that all women are illogical and overemotional, it is very hurtful to gender equality and relations :frown:

Yeah you've been hurt, but don't tar the rest of us with the same brush. Some people are just dicks, regardless of gender
Reply 28
People - men and women - have a way of turning situations round like this by saying "I knew you'd be annoyed if I did it, so that's why I lied.". That's simply not on; they lied because they knew it was wrong. It's not like he's annoyed at her going out to a club, he's annoyed at her for spending a week in the company of another man who wants to sleep with her in ANOTHER city.

You're not being remotely out of line. She is. If she wanted to "get away", there are plenty of places she could've gone to, outwith the sole company of a man who fancies her.

I suppose it's all opinion; a lot of people tend be very liberal about this sort of thing. "Slept in the same bed as my guy mate, it's ok though, he's just a friend!", etc, etc. In my opinion, the OP's girlfriend's behaviour is out of line.

Also, regards this equality nonsense: women get annoyed at men when men call them irrational, emotional, or try to tell them what a woman should be like, yet when a man expresses his emotions, he's told that men should be coup de la with everything, and "man up".

21st century equality, where equal only suits, when it suits. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
If she's innocent why would she lie? Even if it is just a connection she feels with him that she doesn't intend to act on.... hmm you need to talk to her and see what's going on.
Original post by SummitOfReason
So she wanted to have a guy round to sleep or a girl round to sleep?

A guy...

That is a proper generalisation that hounds women throughout daily life including in the workplace.
Please don't ascribe to the stereotype that all women are illogical and overemotional, it is very hurtful to gender equality and relations :frown:

Yeah you've been hurt, but don't tar the rest of us with the same brush. Some people are just dicks, regardless of gender

Hmmm perhaps. But it is true that men are in general more logical based, and women are more emotionally based, when it comes to decision making.. i'm no psychologist though.

But yes, i appreciate that not all women are the same, but i do think it's true that men are in general more logical. And i'm pretty big on logic, and my ex's logic was just not.. logical, so it was particularly bad.

Some bitches be crazy. But don't worry, not all do fall into this category
Reply 32
A guy...

Hmmm perhaps. But it is true that men are in general more logical based, and women are more emotionally based, when it comes to decision making.. i'm no psychologist though.

But yes, i appreciate that not all women are the same, but i do think it's true that men are in general more logical. And i'm pretty big on logic, and my ex's logic was just not.. logical, so it was particularly bad.

I think it is better to just take people as they come rather than making gender based generalisations love. Everyone is and individual and I think people can be both emotional and logical, I know I am, as well as illogical and unemotional, which is probably how I would describe my brother.

It is not healthy for society to start prescribing characteristics to individuals based on gender (or race or sexuality etc) because it can only lead to inequality and missed opportunities.
I would argue that if he was going to 'go mad' over anything she wanted to do instead of talking it through reasonably she should leave. But I guess that is just self-confidence and personal feelings of what you will put up with in a relationship. I can't deal with someone telling me what I can and can't do, and I would never do that to someone I am in a relationship with.

Yeah she should have talked to him about it, she didn't, but that doesn't mean she definitely cheated. It just shows there is something wrong in the relationship in that she doesn't feel she can tell him.

Well yes, obviously if he was being controlling with her, she should leave, but I'm not getting the impression from the OP that he is - and I think staying with a friend who clearly has another ulterior motive is ground enough to get upset about, although obviously just flat out getting angry and telling her she can't go wouldn't get him anywhere. For me it's the fact that she didn't even give him the opportunity to voice his opinion - and she doesn't have to listen if he says no, but if she thinks he will then she should care enough to want to reassure him.

I agree, I've told the OP to give her the benefit of the doubt, I think it's shady, but I think that assuming she's cheating is jumping to conclusions a little, although I'd understand if he kept an eye on her after this. And yes, it does show that something is wrong in that she can't tell him, and there are two possible explanations for that, which I think we have both identified: either he is controlling, or she is a little two-faced. Either way though it's a self-fulfilling prophecy - if she keeps lying she appears two faced, and he'll become more controlling because of insecurity, meaning she'll lie more because instead of comforting that insecurity she's scared of the controlling and so does what she wants anyway.

I just never see grounds for lying, is all, is creates more problems than it solves imo, although like you, I understand her possible motivations for doing so.
I think it is better to just take people as they come rather than making gender based generalisations love. Everyone is and individual and I think people can be both emotional and logical, I know I am, as well as illogical and unemotional, which is probably how I would describe my brother.

It is not healthy for society to start prescribing characteristics to individuals based on gender (or race or sexuality etc) because it can only lead to inequality and missed opportunities.

Oh i agree. Just very bitter atm. I won't judge a woman and assume she will be like all the others i've met.

Shoulda kept my mouth shut really, very confused about things atm and hurting bad, and VERY angry at my ex. I've become a very cynical person.

So just to make it clear, i don't think all women are the same, just as all men aren't the same.
Original post by Teemo
Hi,

My girlfriend of 4 years has done something quite bad. The other day she said she was going home to her parents for a week. However i've since found out that that was a lie, and she's made a 4 hour journey to Manchester to stay with a (male) friend for a week. The friend she's gone to stay with has tried to get with her numerous times in the past. Now she is spending a week sleeping in the same room as him.

I've confronted her about this and she thinks she's done nothing wrong, asides from lying about where she was going. She says she just wants to see Manchester and get away for a bit.

I'm livid. Not only has she betrayed my trust by going behind my back. She's also sleeping in the same room as, and spending 24 hours a day with, someone that obviously fancies her. She say's she hasn't slept with him, but this isnt normal behaviour of someone in a relationship.

i wonder why you are still together...kick her man! don't you have some self respect?
Reply 36
Original post by Teemo

I'm definitely NOT condoning what she has done, it was selfish of her not to consider how you might feel if you did find out, and very suspicious of her to lie to you, but after 4 years I think dumping her over this could be avoided, depending on what you want.

She has lied to you, yes, but maybe her perspective was that she "doesn't need your permission to see a friend", if that's all she sees him as. I'm not saying that gives her a hallpass at all, but I think her lying might be a hinter that she didn't see it as such a big issue - which of course it is. If you chose to stay with her, sit her down and tell her how what she has done has done to you, tell her how close it's taken you to breaking up with her, how you feel your trust in her has been broken and ask her what she would do in your position if the tables were turned. Ask her to honestly tell you if she has cheated on you, ask her how intimate she was with this guy, and decide what you'll do from her answer. If you decide to stay with her, if she HAS cheated on you, the guilt will eat at her and you will notice over time.

Above all, don't let her think this was your fault or any less of a big deal than it is to you.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 37
Well yes, obviously if he was being controlling with her, she should leave, but I'm not getting the impression from the OP that he is - and I think staying with a friend who clearly has another ulterior motive is ground enough to get upset about, although obviously just flat out getting angry and telling her she can't go wouldn't get him anywhere. For me it's the fact that she didn't even give him the opportunity to voice his opinion - and she doesn't have to listen if he says no, but if she thinks he will then she should care enough to want to reassure him.

I agree, I've told the OP to give her the benefit of the doubt, I think it's shady, but I think that assuming she's cheating is jumping to conclusions a little, although I'd understand if he kept an eye on her after this. And yes, it does show that something is wrong in that she can't tell him, and there are two possible explanations for that, which I think we have both identified: either he is controlling, or she is a little two-faced. Either way though it's a self-fulfilling prophecy - if she keeps lying she appears two faced, and he'll become more controlling because of insecurity, meaning she'll lie more because instead of comforting that insecurity she's scared of the controlling and so does what she wants anyway.

I just never see grounds for lying, is all, is creates more problems than it solves imo, although like you, I understand her possible motivations for doing so.

Well he isn't going to go 'Im really controlling' is he :P

No I do agree, I have grown up a lot since the period when I used to lie to guys (When I was like 16) and now I would talk to them, or break up with them if I ever felt I had to lie to them ever. It is harsh.

I think what you are saying is essentially what I am getting at, I never said lying wasn't wrong, it very much is, and essentially for me I would say that it spells the end of any relationship.
IMO, it's not the going that's the problem, fair enough if they're just platonic friends.
But lying, especially so directly and about something big is unacceptable, as bad as cheating really.
Dump her. Not even like she's apologising/grovelling for your forgiveness ...
Original post by Teemo
Hi,

she's at least a liar, and most likely a cheat too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending