The Student Room Group

RCVS Statutory Examination for Membership

Hi, i am a Brazilian veterinary surgeon, currently living and working at the UK with Scientific Research. I want to sit and pass the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Statutory Examination for Membership.I don't know how to get started to study for it so I would like to contact people who have already sit this examination.People who may have books and tips...Thank you!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pollysu
Hi, i am a Brazilian veterinary surgeon, currently living and working at the UK with Scientific Research. I want to sit and pass the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Statutory Examination for Membership.I don't know how to get started to study for it so I would like to contact people who have already sit this examination.People who may have books and tips...Thank you!!!

Nearly everyone here is a student, and not that many from outwith the EU, so i dont think you'll find too much help here. I know there are example papers somewhere on the RCVS website. However, i think your best bet will be to email them, because they must have a person who deals with the membership examinations.
Reply 2
Hi,
Unfortunately I can't think of anyone who can help apart from students from St Georges who sat the exam immediately after they graduated. I think it's probably best to contact the RCVS, they will probably be able to give you the best guidance.
I do have a friend who sat the membership exam. He qualified from Burma and spent some time seeing practice at Sydney vet school in preparation for the exam. He now has his own smallies practice in Hong Kong!
I guess seeing practice at various clinics will be beneficial and help you stay current with clinical practice. If you are looking for a good equine textbook, I would recommend 'Equine Practice' by Rose & Hodgson. It has a red cover & is available from Amazon.
Hope you manage to get sorted x
Reply 3
Hi,
Just thought I'd add to my previous post. This week I received the newsletter from the Royal College and there was an artice in there about vets who were preparing for the membership exam. It seems that you have to register with them so that you can be more hands on when you see practice rather than just taking a back seat and observing.
Hope this is of some help to you x
Reply 4
Hi Ponyvet,

Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply to my post.It was very nice of you.

Yes, I am thinking about seeing practice but I'm currently working full time in a laboratory so I just don't know how I'll find enough hours to be in both places.

Also thanks fot the horses book's tip, for small animals I reckon I could get the Ettinger, is it used in British practices as well?

Thanks,

x

Paula
Reply 5
Original post by pollysu
Hi Ponyvet,

Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply to my post.It was very nice of you.

Yes, I am thinking about seeing practice but I'm currently working full time in a laboratory so I just don't know how I'll find enough hours to be in both places.

Also thanks fot the horses book's tip, for small animals I reckon I could get the Ettinger, is it used in British practices as well?

Thanks,

x

Paula

Hi,
I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Ettinger book as I've only worked in equine practice and spent as little time as possible in small animal traning placements! Perhaps one of the students will be able to help with that question.
I hope you manage to see some practice. I can imagine how hard it must be with working full time. I'm doing the CertAVP which is stsrting to get rather difficult tiomewise since I went back to full time clinical practice.
I hope you manage to get sorted out x
Reply 6
Could anybody help me with any study material for the RCVS statory exam please?
Reply 7
Hi, I can help! Also taking the exam in April, I am a St Georges student but did my clinical year at Edinburgh. What do you need? Which country are you from?
Reply 8
I am starting a group on facebook for all clinicians taking the RCVS Membership Exam in 2012 - search "RCVS Membership Exam 2012" and ask to join for study material and other info.
Reply 9
Hi guys

its good to know there is some helpful people out there :smile:

i have some strategy in dealing with the situation of low resources available which we are all facing. and i am happy to share it with any when u can reach me on ha dot almaraghy at gmail dot com i am staying in Edinburgh right now and most of my time is dedicated to the exam.
and i am trying to see a practice there which is hard at moment so if any one have any advice about it please let me know.
many thanks
Hassan
Reply 10
Hi there !
Is anyone who is not native english speaker and is registrated in RCVS?
I wonder do I need a documen like IELTS to be registrated and how pass the registration ceremony?
Reply 11
Original post by SmithDVM
I am starting a group on facebook for all clinicians taking the RCVS Membership Exam in 2012 - search "RCVS Membership Exam 2012" and ask to join for study material and other info.

Hi David I have looked for your facebook group and didn't find it, have you sat the exam in 2012? I didn't sit it because I wasn't able to prepare myself but I will certainly do it in 2013 and I have been studying with books answering the questions of past exams but I don't seem to memorise anything.Did you pass the exam? If so, will you please help me telling me how you prepared yourself? And if you still got the information of the facebook page, could you forward it to me? My email is [email protected].

I really appreciate any help, getting quite desperate here.

Thanks a lot
Reply 12

hi
did u make rcvs exam on face book?i checked i can not find
Reply 13
Original post by tigercallie
Nearly everyone here is a student, and not that many from outwith the EU, so i dont think you'll find too much help here. I know there are example papers somewhere on the RCVS website. However, i think your best bet will be to email them, because they must have a person who deals with the membership examinations.

i am a forgin vet ,planing to sit for exam soon ,let me know what help u need?
Reply 14
Hi,
I'm also going to sit the RCVS Statutory Examination for Membership 2013 and would like some advice from people who's already done the exam.
Also it'd be nice to keep in touch with people who is going to do the exam next year as well, so that we could share some material and help each other. If anyone want to contact me, my email is: [Mod note: Please use private messages to exchange contact details]

Thanks,
Bettina :smile:
Reply 15
Hi Bettina,

I am also sitting the exam in 2013. I have some material from which I am studying. If you would like we can stay in contact.

I am living in London, where are you?

Cheers.

Mario.
Reply 16
Hi Bettina,
I am planning to sit the RCVS statutory examination too (end of April 2013). I am glad there is a forum to discuss about it. I can see there are people like me struggling with the preparation of the exam. I have some notes to study but probably its not enough to prepare the exam. I was wondering if we could interchange notes.

Armando

Original post by BettinaG
Hi,
I'm also going to sit the RCVS Statutory Examination for Membership 2013 and would like some advice from people who's already done the exam.
Also it'd be nice to keep in touch with people who is going to do the exam next year as well, so that we could share some material and help each other. If anyone want to contact me, my email is: [Mod note: Please use private messages to exchange contact details]

Thanks,
Bettina :smile:
Reply 17
Hi Mario,
I am also planning to sit the examination this year. It would be great if we could have a chat with regard to the notes. I would really appreciate your help. Perhaps if we gather our notes plus Bettina's notes we could have enough information to study.
Cheers
Armando

Original post by Rutebeuf
Hi Bettina,

I am also sitting the exam in 2013. I have some material from which I am studying. If you would like we can stay in contact.

I am living in London, where are you?

Cheers.

Mario.
Original post by truxon
Hi Mario,
I am also planning to sit the examination this year. It would be great if we could have a chat with regard to the notes. I would really appreciate your help. Perhaps if we gather our notes plus Bettina's notes we could have enough information to study.
Cheers
Armando

Hi Armando and Mario,

I am going to sit in next year exam. And I would really appreciate if you both could help me by sharing your material (Notes).
Reply 19

hello david,
i am planning to take the rcvs stat exam as well.please consider me in case i mightnot be able to log in facebook.. cheers..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending