The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by oldie_2013
But why do you think history is such a valued degree but not English?

Don't get me wrong, both degrees are great. However, the prospects of getting a job using your history degree is much higher than that for english.
Reply 61
are degrees in construction or sports/fitness useless? I would of thought that these degrees aren't the most popular therefore I'd have an easier time finding a job in construction or sports/fitness? or am I just an utter retard? LOL
Reply 62
Original post by TheRealJT
do top universities offer harder degrees than rubbish universities?

Most certainly. Take History at oxford and History and London Metropolitan. The standards of getting a first would be so significantly different from the two. A first from london met would most likely be a third at oxford.
Reply 63
Original post by pandabird
Psychology is not about mental health. :facepalm: See below.

In practice it is.
Reply 64
are degrees in construction or sports/fitness useless? I would of thought that these degrees aren't the most popular therefore I'd have an easier time finding a job in construction or sports/fitness? or am I just an utter retard? LOL

Honestly, dead end jobs. You'll end being a P.E. teacher.
Reply 65
Oh... So that's why rubbish universities have lower requirements for their degrees LOL, I generally thought that all universities offer the same difficulty of degree :/

so basicially if I graduated from a rubbish degree and I go to a job interview.... And I say I have a degree in........ And then the guy is like which university did you attend? I'm like Bolton.... The guy is then like GTFO my office! Is that how it works?
Reply 66
Original post by Kc4324
I thought the focus was 'is psychology worth doing?' You've managed to insult people and call someone a liar...I don't think that is the focus is it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly is your focus? It seems to me you only made an account so that you can comment on this thread.
Reply 67
Oh... So that's why rubbish universities have lower requirements for their degrees LOL, I generally thought that all universities offer the same difficulty of degree :/

so basicially if I graduated from a rubbish degree and I go to a job interview.... And I say I have a degree in........ And then the guy is like which university did you attend? I'm like Bolton.... The guy is then like GTFO my office! Is that how it works?

That's exactly how it works. I'm afraid. Most employers would obviously be more diplomatic about it and come up with another excuse.
Original post by Adenosine
Honestly, dead end jobs. You'll end being a P.E. teacher.

What your opinion on someone who is doing an Joint honors on Biochemistry with Molecular and Cell Biology at an Russell Group University like UoN and Sheffield?
Reply 69
This is capitalism survival of the fittest. Majority of employers have a series of tests in which the tests are aimed only for those top 5-10% that they are looking for. That's for the high end jobs. So say if you do get a 1st in law at london met, you'll still need to pass the employer's tests which target the 5-10% in which you will not have the intellect to actually pass.

If you do go to a rubbish university. Employers are more likely to look at your A levels.
Reply 70
so in theory there is no point in going to university unless you have a major ambition like for example becoming a qualified dr?

if I wanted to work in the construction trade I'm much better of getting an apprenticeship or going to college to do construction?

I always thought that a degree in construction would be valued by employers regardless of which university you attended? As construction is not something you can be snobby about? I understand if employers are snobby about degrees in medicine and stuff... But construction? Most people working in construction probly don't even have degrees.....
Reply 71
Original post by Type 052D
What your opinion on someone who is doing an Joint honors on Biochemistry with Molecular and Cell Biology at an Russell Group University like UoN and Sheffield?

Of course it is not as strong as Medicine. But it can open doors, especially into dentistry. In which many people who do BioChemistry later go into. There is always employment in bio and chem. Physics not always, but when there is, the rewards are great. I must stress that achieving 2.1 and above is crucial for any science related field at a top university.
Reply 72
so in theory there is no point in going to university unless you have a major ambition like for example becoming a qualified dr?

if I wanted to work in the construction trade I'm much better of getting an apprenticeship or going to college to do construction?

I always thought that a degree in construction would be valued by employers regardless of which university you attended? As construction is not something you can be snobby about? I understand if employers are snobby about degrees in medicine and stuff... But construction? Most people working in construction probly don't even have degrees.....

Oh no I'm only talking about the top degrees. People in the construction industry will obviously won't give a fudge where you graduate.
Reply 73
Does anybody know how degrees from the Open University are viewed by employers? Do employers deem them rubbish as you don't need qualifications to study with them? Or do they take into account the commitment and stuff?
Reply 74
In practice it is.

Thankyou.
Of course it is not as strong as Medicine. But it can open doors, especially into dentistry. In which many people who do BioChemistry later go into. There is always employment in bio and chem. Physics not always, but when there is, the rewards are great. I must stress that achieving 2.1 and above is crucial for any science related field at a top university.

What if the person whats to do an PhD in that course and decides to be an researcher/Lecturer?
Reply 76
Anyway I'm gonna stop posting now.

I'll just say one last thing. I'm a firm believer that everyone should experience things for themselves. You will soon find out once you enter the jobs market that your psychology degree or any Micky Mouse degree will leave you jobless. If you don't want to listen to me that's fine. Reality will soon kick in.

_____
100% Realist. Honesty is the best Policy.
Reply 77

Degrees vary greatly in difficulty. :yep: Roughly the same proportion of 1sts, 2:1s etc, are achieved across universities, despite the great range in entry requirements. The difficulty of work is set in accordance with esteemed ability of their students.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
Anyway I'm gonna stop posting now.

I'll just say one last thing. I'm a firm believer that everyone should experience things for themselves. You will soon find out once you enter the jobs market that your psychology degree or any Micky Mouse degree will leave you jobless. If you don't want to listen to me that's fine. Reality will soon kick in.

_____
100% Realist. Honesty is the best Policy.

You're completely clueless. Anyone who takes this guys advice is a fool, he's merely an ignorant, little A-level child.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
why on earth do people go to rubbish universities such as Bolton if the degrees are essentially worthless? not only that.... They get themself in debt.... Just to gain an undervalued degree :/

anyway what about if a person has an undergraduate degree from a rubbish university and then decides to go for a postgraduate degree with the same university... Would employers still deem the degrees useless?

Latest

Trending

Trending