The Student Room Group

Why do I have to be 18 for volunteering?

I had alook at the sites u guys listed here, and did someresearch myself. I basically wanted to go in Asia or South Africa in a summer to volunteer...but in that particular summer I will be 17, and all the programs require u to be an adult. How on earth do these ppl applying to uni have all those volunteering activities. I can't believe that anyone is taking a gap year before applying...
Any ideas of programs that don't require u to be 18 or that can be implored to allow me on their program ?

Scroll to see replies

People applying to uni often don't have lots of volunteering activities under their belt. They may write in their PS that they intend to volunteer here and there, but by the time of their gap year they will be 18, so there is no problem!

Do you want to volunteer abroad? I'm sure lots of places in the UK will accept 17 year olds.
I don't think you can really stray outside europe and even in europe it's probably going to be germany uk france italy. Concordia (www.concordia-iye.com) offer a range of volunteer project aimed at under 18 year old though you have to pay extra (about 100 euros= 70 quid). I don't really know of anything further afield which would let you volunteer however you could try writing to organisations or project individually to see what they say.
Reply 3
Wow, 10x soulsussed, and every1 else :smile:
Reply 4
Raleigh International also lets you go at 17 as well:

Our overseas programmes enable participants aged 17-24 and staff volunteers aged 25+ from all over the world and from all backgrounds to undertake a unique blend of mental and physical challenges.

^^ Thats from their website: www.raleighinternational.org/overseas
Reply 5
As a matter of fact I have to be 18 for greenforce:frown:.I'll check that website belle
Reply 6
there was a thread about this a while back you might be able to have a search for that- cant remember what its title was though sorry! i think that there were a few suggestions on it that you might find useful.
Also you dont need loads of exotic volunteering for you PS, not many 17-18 year olds have had the oppurtunity and funding to be able to go overseas.
Reply 7
I just started to like the idea of doing something like this :smile:
You could volunteer locally with millenium volunteers (www.mvonline.gov.uk). They also list other opportunities!
Reply 9
redshoes, I can't find that thread :frown:
Reply 10
The thread you're looking for is this one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=204155
Reply 11
ok, 10x belle. I like the raleigh program in costa rica at the present moment :smile:
Reply 13
Originally posted by valeryblack
I like the raleigh program in costa rica at the present moment :smile:

I started a thread on here asking about it a while ago, so you may be interested to see the responses I got:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196272&highlight=raleigh
Reply 14
I have already read that . And, I might be silly, but is that insects thing really that bad? :biggrin: Cause I'm pretty histerical with spiders. Does anyone know how Nepal/Tibet is?
Reply 15
I had this same probelm last summer, just finished a levels wanted to do something before i satrted uni, but the problem was i wasnt 18 untill the end of july, meaning i was too young to do practically everything. I was so annoyed last year, but since staring uni i realised it didnt matter.
The money i saved by not doing something has got me through my first year of uni without the need to have a job, very few of my firends did anything last summer so i dont feel left out and im doing something this summer (naimly camp america). Also there is plenty of time to take a gap year, im gonna do it after my degree. you dont NEED to take one before you start uni.
In short dont stress about it, enjoy your summer it will the the last free one you get in a while and start planning what your going to do next summer!!!!!
www.unaexchange.org

I used that to go to France when I was 17. You are limited to Europe though...

Im off to Romania in the summer!
Reply 18
Ph
Im off to Cluj Napoca in Transylvania to help out with the film festival there in the first two weeks of June.
Tell me everything you know about this place.

Latest