The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FlyHigh_er
I dunno really, just wanted something more "interesting" I suppose, although I love maths. And I really like chemistry so didn't want to give that up so geology combines maths and chem along with physics and geog. I haven't even been able to start my PS as I'm on holiday so I have to do it as soon as I get back. Gonna have some serious jet lag :frown:

how is your PS going?

It's coming along slowly, I don't really know how much to talk about why I want to do the course and skills I've got :/ At least you'll feel ready to start your A2's after a nice break :smile:
Hey! I'm thinking of doing Earth/Environmental Sciences at Lancaster! (going to have a look around tomorrow!).
My other choices are: Aberystwyth, UEA, Loughborough or maybe Leicester!
Reply 22
Original post by imnotcharlotte
Hey! I'm thinking of doing Earth/Environmental Sciences at Lancaster! (going to have a look around tomorrow!).
My other choices are: Aberystwyth, UEA, Loughborough or maybe Leicester!

Hi :smile: Nice choices of unis! Have you visted any? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pyjamas1
Hi :smile: Nice choices of unis! Have you visted any? :smile:

So far I've been to Leicester and Newcastle, Both were OK but not amazing. Going to Lancaster tomorrow (the one I've looked at the longest) then in october I'm going to Aberystwyth and Loughborough (Wanted to go during summer but my parents had work commitments).

From what I've read online etc, I think if I got offers from them all I'd have Lancaster as my firm and Aberystwyth as my Insurance.

Have you visited any yet? :biggrin:
Reply 24
Thanks, you too!! That sounds like a good way to do your personal statement :smile: I've just been drafting and then re drafting, hopefully at some point Ill like it :wink: Which subjects do you take?

Haha :tongue: just takes so long.. need to nail it ! I bet its sooo much easier for you thou !
My subjects arre pretty poo... biology geography and philosophy.. don't exactly scream 'geology' haha. hence why im freaking out and really need to demonstrate my interest, shouldn't be a problem.
must be so much more easier to write a PS having taken more science subjects, dislike myself and envy everybody else ! hehe.
also doing geology-based EPQ

Are you applying for a msci or bsc?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
So far I've been to Leicester and Newcastle, Both were OK but not amazing. Going to Lancaster tomorrow (the one I've looked at the longest) then in october I'm going to Aberystwyth and Loughborough (Wanted to go during summer but my parents had work commitments).

From what I've read online etc, I think if I got offers from them all I'd have Lancaster as my firm and Aberystwyth as my Insurance.

Have you visited any yet? :biggrin:

Imperial, Bristol and Cardiff and had a look at the outside of the Edinburgh Kings buildings and Geography and Geoscience buildings when I visited for the festival last week:smile: I liked the first 2 and last one, but not Cardiff that much :/ I was thinking about Leicester as well :smile: I plan to try and visit Birmingham and maybe Liverpool soon :smile: I'm starting to get quite scared I wont get any offers or something though :s-smilie: :P
How's your ps going? :smile:
It's coming along slowly, I don't really know how much to talk about why I want to do the course and skills I've got :/ At least you'll feel ready to start your A2's after a nice break :smile:

Ahh, I'm trying to write it in my head and think about why I want to study it. I go blank quite a lot. Not sure what to say. I think I might do the whole bullet point thing again.
Reply 27
Original post by deecharrl
Haha :tongue: just takes so long.. need to nail it ! I bet its sooo much easier for you thou !
My subjects arre pretty poo... biology geography and philosophy.. don't exactly scream 'geology' haha. hence why im freaking out and really need to demonstrate my interest, shouldn't be a problem.
must be so much more easier to write a PS having taken more science subjects, dislike myself and envy everybody else ! hehe.
also doing geology-based EPQ

Are you applying for a msci or bsc?

It's really not easier, I've realised how boring a person I am :P You'll be fine with those subjects, they usually only ask for two sciences! :smile: I'm applying at school to do an epq on fracking :smile: Hopefully all Msci, if I can :/ :smile: You?
Reply 28
Ahh, I'm trying to write it in my head and think about why I want to study it. I go blank quite a lot. Not sure what to say. I think I might do the whole bullet point thing again.

I go blank constantly, takes me like 3hrs to write 2 lines :P
Imperial, Bristol and Cardiff and had a look at the outside of the Edinburgh Kings buildings and Geography and Geoscience buildings when I visited for the festival last week:smile: I liked the first 2 and last one, but not Cardiff that much :/ I was thinking about Leicester as well :smile: I plan to try and visit Birmingham and maybe Liverpool soon :smile: I'm starting to get quite scared I wont get any offers or something though :s-smilie: :P
How's your ps going? :smile:

PS is going OK, I have the skeleton of what I want to say and I'm trying to make it a bit longer and more meaty. I want a first draft by next week to give to my tutor at college (I would have emailed him over the summer but he's retired now and I'm getting a new tutor next week)
I hate writing it though, It all sounds so cheesy and cliche :frown:

I'm worried about offers too because my grades were not that great (BCDD) but I'm hoping that some of the extra stuff I did out of college and at GCSE level might help :s-smilie::confused:
Reply 30
PS is going OK, I have the skeleton of what I want to say and I'm trying to make it a bit longer and more meaty. I want a first draft by next week to give to my tutor at college (I would have emailed him over the summer but he's retired now and I'm getting a new tutor next week)
I hate writing it though, It all sounds so cheesy and cliche :frown:

I'm worried about offers too because my grades were not that great (BCDD) but I'm hoping that some of the extra stuff I did out of college and at GCSE level might help :s-smilie::confused:

That's annoying about your tutor, but I guess we still have plenty of time :smile: I find the first paragraph the hardest, but then I find myself listing to much after that :/ I'm sure you'll be fine, the stuff you do out of school is really important, I have very little of that :/ Which subjects are you taking?:smile:
That's annoying about your tutor, but I guess we still have plenty of time :smile: I find the first paragraph the hardest, but then I find myself listing to much after that :/ I'm sure you'll be fine, the stuff you do out of school is really important, I have very little of that :/ Which subjects are you taking?:smile:

My first paragraph was ok to write but hard to edit, I used my old school reports to write about myself! I have work experience at a nuclear power plant that I can talk about in my PS which is super helpful (and my mentor there is always emailing me things about PS's that help!)

I'm took Geography (B) Maths (C) Chemistry (D) and Physics (D) and I'm dropping physics into 2nd year. But I have music grades that give me about ~100 UCAS points :biggrin:
What subjects are you taking?
I go blank constantly, takes me like 3hrs to write 2 lines :P

Haha same, and it's gonna be harder for me to write for geology than maths.

If you're finding it hard to sell yourself use your year 10/11 reports. They describe how you are in an academic way (thoughtful, hard working)!
Reply 34
My first paragraph was ok to write but hard to edit, I used my old school reports to write about myself! I have work experience at a nuclear power plant that I can talk about in my PS which is super helpful (and my mentor there is always emailing me things about PS's that help!)

I'm took Geography (B) Maths (C) Chemistry (D) and Physics (D) and I'm dropping physics into 2nd year. But I have music grades that give me about ~100 UCAS points :biggrin:
What subjects are you taking?

That's cool about the work experience! You've got good subjects :smile: I'm doing Maths, Bio, Geography to A2 and had Chem at AS, wish I'd carried only learning an instrument :P
Reply 35

If you focus on how you want to do it because of all the different sciences, there's quite a bit you can write :smile: It'll probably come to you when you start writing it :smile:
Reply 36
It's really not easier, I've realised how boring a person I am :P You'll be fine with those subjects, they usually only ask for two sciences! :smile: I'm applying at school to do an epq on fracking :smile: Hopefully all Msci, if I can :/ :smile: You?

No way ! I regret not taking chemistry and physics so badly, mainly chemistry, realized months ago im actually really interested in it, but was too late to change subs.
I bet you're not boring! If I'm honest I am.. don't really go out anymore just stay in doing work haha long term focus for uni !!
yeah i hope so, spoken to a few people that do the same. Bit iffy about Imperial, but spoke to an admissions tutor on their open days to see how often they accept people with bio and geog (still fulfills the entry requirements, tis only the minimum thou) and she said they take on 1/2 a year, but you have to really be the right person for them !! ah.

Ooo!! that sounds really interesting. I found it hard to find a topic on something geology related as many controversies require an undergraduate level of knowledge (i.e. mantle plume hypothesis) but now im doing something on the snowball earth hypothesis.
Sorry that was all very long ! :biggrin:

Yeah same. What specific areas of geology are you interested in? :smile:
Reply 37
No way ! I regret not taking chemistry and physics so badly, mainly chemistry, realized months ago im actually really interested in it, but was too late to change subs.
I bet you're not boring! If I'm honest I am.. don't really go out anymore just stay in doing work haha long term focus for uni !!
yeah i hope so, spoken to a few people that do the same. Bit iffy about Imperial, but spoke to an admissions tutor on their open days to see how often they accept people with bio and geog (still fulfills the entry requirements, tis only the minimum thou) and she said they take on 1/2 a year, but you have to really be the right person for them !! ah.

Ooo!! that sounds really interesting. I found it hard to find a topic on something geology related as many controversies require an undergraduate level of knowledge (i.e. mantle plume hypothesis) but now im doing something on the snowball earth hypothesis.
Sorry that was all very long ! :biggrin:

Yeah same. What specific areas of geology are you interested in? :smile:

Well doing the degree there's loads of catch-up courses you can do anyway:smile: Ill need to for Physics and Chem (Ill have forgotten it by then :wink: ) You have good grades so you have a fighting chance! Plus there are plenty of other good unis, I've sort of accepted its a long shot applying there for me :P Whats your second fav to Imperial?:smile: Oh that sounds like a really interesting Epq too :smile: To begin with I was drawn in by the idea of its use in the energy industry but Ive since joined a Geology group and I find the fossil and mineral area as well as the plate tectonic areas the most interesting, you? :smile: Sorry that was like a little list of answers :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
What did you get at AS? My ps crap so far :wink:

If you include Citizenship (which unis don't really give a monkeys about, but hey :rolleyes:) I got 5 As.. predicted an B for Chemistry next year, but we'll see :biggrin: Haha, mine sounds really pretentious.. I'm trying to tone it down a bit but currently I sound like a right nitwit :lol:

Hi... do you think it is worth picking up AS chemistry this year ?? I've been fretting over whether to for the past couple of months and still considering now, now I see that people are still picking up AS's.
Do universities e.g. Imperial / UCL value an AS in chem highly ? I don't have chemistry (very annoyed) and obvs it is highly relevant to studying geology.

Hi :wink:
Don't worry about not doing chemistry - most of the unis that I've looked at just require two "science subjects" out of a whole range including Maths, Physics, Bio and sometimes Geology and Geography, so you should be fine! :redface: I'm doing AS Chem because I didn't want to do four A2s but still wanted to stretch myself next year, and as you've said it is very useful.. I wouldn't say that they value it highly but it shows that you're aware of what the course entails and are willing to go above what you're doing in school. In the end, it's up to you :smile:
Reply 39
Well done on your results! Oxford is a great city, the entire city is beautiful, but witl a nice mix of new and old :smile: There's Cowley road with the O2 arena if if you like music, there's plenty of shopping down the main high street. Its a nice mix of busy city with pretty area (defo wont be bored) :smile: If I had your grades, subjects and didn't live here Id love to come :smile: Ive also been in the Earth science building before and its really modern and the lecture theatres are the best I've seen at a uni so far :smile:

Really? I always thought it was like a work atmosphere kind of thing? Nice to know it's a good choice, don't think I'll get in though hahaha, no one from my school has got in for like 5 years now, and there's been quite some characters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending