The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8940
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Don't give me that. If things were reversed, if it was Palestinians who took an Israeli child prisoner, the media here would ****ing explode.

If to you an example of a decent country is one that takes children prisoner, then I have to say I'm pretty shocked.

And the fact the image is a clear fake means nothing?
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Don't give me that. If things were reversed, if it was Palestinians who took an Israeli child prisoner, the media here would ****ing explode.

If to you an example of a decent country is one that takes children prisoner, then I have to say I'm pretty shocked.

Notice I said "despite what happens in the West Bank". Besides, Palestine is a tyranny (especially Gaza, run by Islamist terrorists), and nobody bats an eyelid, so what you say is false.

OK then, please name a large-scale realistic movement for liberal democracy in the middle east, other than Israel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by presidential_
Wait..... are you justifying giving away someone else's land away? If the government gave half of your house to a homeless person to legally OWN would you think that's "perfectly justified"? Doubt it.

Yes, I understand the Jews suffered a lot, (and muslims have been there for them, like the time when christian spain kicked all the jews out of spain, the only people to accept them were the ottoman empire, or during WWII when muslims in france hid the Jews in their mosques. There are many other occasions). But I still fail to understand the need to split and share someone else's land. Yes, if the jews moved to palestine to live there under palestinian rule doubt there would be such a big problem.

Even the jewish people protest agaisnt the zionist government of isreal....

Er, under Ottoman rule Jews and people of other religions (and none) were dhimmis (or worse). It treated its Jews better than Europe, but trust me that isn't hard. So I wouldn't go down the route of saying it was all fine and dandy under Ottoman rule. Besides, the Ottoman empire was a genocidal tyranny and was on its last legs even before WW1. My next question is therefore: what is wrong with creating a new democratic state in a region where a colonial power has lost its influence? (Whether you're talking about the Ottomans or the temporary French and British mandates).

And another question: do you not think the states of Jordan, Syria or Lebanon should have been created either?

The problem is not Israel. The problem is lack of democracy and lack of freedom, in the regions which surround Israel including the West Bank and Gaza.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen

The problem is not Israel. The problem is lack of democracy and lack of freedom, in the regions which surround Israel including the West Bank and Gaza.

Israel has broken more UN resolutions than any other country in UN history.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Israel has broken more UN resolutions than any other country in UN history.

That says more about the UN than Israel. The UN should be spending its time criticising North Korea, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, more than Israel.

Also, I don't deny that Israel has committed crimes. That doesn't change the fact that it remains the only viable hope for a democratic middle east, and it also doesn't change the fact that the main problem in the middle east is religious fanaticism emanating from places like Syria, Iraq etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
That says more about the UN than Israel. The UN should be spending its time criticising North Korea, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, more than Israel.

Since 1967 27,000 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israel. Israel currently has 262 Jewish-only settlements on confiscated Palestinian land.

Funny how Israel are reluctant to criticise Russia for annexing Crimea, don't want to set a precedent for themselves I guess?
Since 1967 27,000 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israel. Israel currently has 262 Jewish-only settlements on confiscated Palestinian land.

Funny how Israel are reluctant to criticise Russia for annexing Crimea, don't want to set a precedent for themselves I guess?

Well I already said that I don't deny Israeli crimes, so you're attacking a straw man here. None of this affects my claim that Israel represents the only democratic hope for the middle east currently, especially given what we've seen from Iraq and Egypt in the past decade.
Original post by DouglasAdams
You all seem very quick to condemn Israel's actions as per the UN's statements, but ignore the UN's assertion for Israel's right to exist.
I do not understand the hate for the only real democracy in the region, in which women are allowed to drive and be free citizens, betrayers of the state do not get the heads cut off in public and posted onto YouTube and is a strong ally of the US. Also, the fact that Gaza is run by an official terrorist group and that it fires rockets into Israel every day in times of truce (a fact which Israel largely ignores) is neglected by you folks, perhaps due to the slightly biased reporting of the BBC.
Propaganda like the above picture has no source and can easily be fabricated.

Also, facts such as the legal purchase of over 90% of Arab land by the Israeli government or Israeli families living in Israel today are also largely unreported. Many Israeli families hold the deeds still today to prove the legal transfer and purchase of property.

Try going to Israel and marry a jewish women, then you can experience their "democracy" and "civilization" first hand. :borat:
Original post by GnomeMage
Try going to Israel and marry a jewish women, then you can experience their "democracy" and "civilization" first hand. :borat:

Well, I'm Jewish so should be pretty easy. But I hope you don't mind me spending a bit of time before picking one.
Original post by MarkAustinPowers
lol whatever, when you see fake video clips of bbc apparently showing assad using chemical weapons on his own people their not fake are they lol,

I have to agree tbh. Im no stranger to criticising Israel or any other country for that matter, but we really do need a source (for any thing like this)

Though, I guess this is also going to turn in to a "You criticise Israel. You must hate Jews" thread.... (Which is silly, because Im perfectly happy with criticising countries like the KSA, the USA, the UK, Pakistan, North Korea, South Korea,China etc.. etc... because by that logic, I apparently hate pretty much every one :biggrin:
Why didn't they broadcast this on the news :confused: ??? Oh yh, forgot......the jews own 96% of the world media.:colone:

Now that is pure racism, almost entirely echoing Nazi stereotypes.
But then again, that mischevious grin suggests you're not too fussed being compared to Hitler or Goebbels and in fact racism is probably quite amusing to you.
Where has anyone on this thread disputed Israel's right to exist?

People have put forward the case that Jews have invaded Palestine, thereby implying Palestine having a right to exist and Israel to not.
DouglasAdams

People have put forward the case that Jews have invaded Palestine, thereby implying Palestine having a right to exist and Israel to not.

I'd say that constitutes invading Palestine. But I wouldn't say that nullifies Israel's right to exist. Israel are the one denying Palestine's right to statehood. Requiring them to stop joining international treaties or else Israel won't continue 'peace negotiations'?

I'd say that constitutes invading Palestine. But I wouldn't say that nullifies Israel's right to exist. Israel are the one denying Palestine's right to statehood. Requiring them to stop joining international treaties or else Israel won't continue 'peace negotiations'?

Yes, but a large number of those destroyed homes have been fully compensated.

You do realise that the Palestinian state is officially predominantly run by Hamas, which is a terrorist group? You really want to legitimise their existence; what happened to the Western policy of "don't negotiate with terrorists"?

In any case, concerning Putin and Crimea, I can think of many reasons entirely unrelated to Israel why I actually support Russia in their pursuit to prevent a nationalistic coup against a democratically elected leader in Ukraine. And in any case, if Crimea voted to return to Russia, why should they not have a say?
Reply 8954
Original post by Electricity

You seem to have ignored each response asking for your source. Is there a particular reason for this?
Original post by Electricity
Israeli forces handcuff and blindfold a child for interrogation and arrest. This is not right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is very little that we can tell from this blurry, extremely low-quality, completely context-free image. It could very well be a fake. On the other hand, it could be real; I have personally seen an Arab child as young as six engage in violence, in this case throwing rocks at moving cars. I think this is more an indictment of the parents than of the soldiers who need to deal with these children. Either way, one very unclear image with no context and of uncertain authenticity is not a particularly good starting point for any discussion.
Reply 8956
It's funny how Arabs shout "Free Palestine" yet say nothing about the oppression of Kurds in Iraq, Syria, Iran and Turkey. A much more legitimate claim to its land yet it gets less coverage, just goes to show how much Arabs really care.
Yes, I actually do know. After the fall of the ottoman empire, parts of their land was given to the british (which included palestine). After WWII the british gave half of palestine to the jews. what right did they have giving away someone's land like that?

This seems to be one of the most enduring and pernicious misunderstandings of the history of Israel. Palestine, in whole or in part, was not 'given' to anyone by Britain. The United Nations proposed a partition of Palestine into two states, one for its Arab inhabitants, and one for its Jewish ones, but this was never carried out. Instead, the Jews and Arabs of Palestine went to war with each other, with surrounding Arab states subsequently invading with the goal of 'driving the Jews into the sea'. In the section that they managed to secure, the Palestinian Jews established the state of Israel, and became Israelis. The other parts of Palestine were conquered by Egypt and Jordan, who did not establish a new Arab state of Palestine, but rather incorporated these sections into their own states.
Original post by Bashur
It's funny how Arabs shout "Free Palestine" yet say nothing about the oppression of Kurds in Iraq, Syria, Iran and Turkey. A much more legitimate claim to its land yet it gets less coverage, just goes to show how much Arabs really care.

That depends on the Arab in question. Me personally (not an Arab), I'm perfectly happy to criticise any nation state
Reply 8959
Original post by de_monies
That depends on the Arab in question. Me personally (not an Arab), I'm perfectly happy to criticise any nation state

Your average Arab is what I'm referring to. The majority know little about Kurdistan, but I guess that's because they are the oppressors in this scenario. Arab governments are hypocrites, most of their people follow the same path.

Latest

Trending

Trending