The Student Room Group

Changing your mind about your application

Hi,

I have recently applied to study medicine A100 and received offers from Cardiff (firm) and Newcastle (insurance) to study in September 2014. I based my application on the type of courses each uni was offering, knowing immediately that I did not want to study a problem-based learning course. I didn't mind any other type of course but I definitely wanted to stay away from PBL.

My problem is that I really wanted to apply to the university of Liverpool, however at the time of applying, they were offering the PBL course. Since the application deadline however, I have read that Liverpool have now decided to offer a more case-led approach, which I would be happy to study and wish I'd have known earlier.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do, or if anyone has any suggestions, as it would be much more practical for me to study at Liverpool and I'm pretty much desperate to do anything to study there! I would be very grateful. Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by anon2504

I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do, or if anyone has any suggestions, as it would be much more practical for me to study at Liverpool and I'm pretty much desperate to do anything to study there! I would be very grateful. Thanks!

To do that you'd have to rescind your current offers and re-apply next year. I cannot begin to tell you just how much of a risky and foolish move that would be as there is a not insignificant chance you'd end up with no offers at all and then you'd kick yourself for life.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
To do that you'd have to rescind your current offers and re-apply next year. I cannot begin to tell you just how much of a risky and foolish move that would be as there is a not insignificant chance you'd end up with no offers at all and then you'd kick yourself for life.

Don't get me wrong, I am over the moon with having offers for medicine and realise that I'm in a very fortunate position. I'm just really annoyed at myself for not doing enough research pre-application. Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it!
Reply 3
Original post by anon2504
Don't get me wrong, I am over the moon with having offers for medicine and realise that I'm in a very fortunate position. I'm just really annoyed at myself for not doing enough research pre-application. Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it!

I understand what you're saying - chances are however you'll turn up to Cardiff and have just as great a time there as you would have had at Liverpool, so do try and keep an open, positive mind :biggrin:
It would be madness to give up held medicine offers to try and pursue medicine at a different university - you do not know that liverpool would have or will ever give you an offer. Almost everyone enjoys their time at whichever med school they go to, even if it isn't their first choice.

There isn't a way you can go to Liverpool other than giving up your offers, waiting a year, and reapplying.

I'm not sure there is a significant difference between case-based and problem-based learning - don't those terms rather imply the same (or a very similar) approach?
Why do you want to go to Liverpool so badly?

The new C21 at Cardiff is completely based on a set of cases so it suits the learning style you are after. As pervious posters have said, there is an element of PBL in case-based learning but there are more lectures or 'plenaries' as they are now called.
Reply 6
Maybe you could ask the uni? It's best to ask Liverpool directly as you never know what they may respond to you. Good luck!
Cardiff is a great place, you'll love it there :smile:

Don't retract any offers, and come along to Cardiff :woo:

I live here so if you have any questions about the area, I'll be glad to answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending