The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffigyWellington
Although granted, I wouldn't be surprised if it absconded at some point in my process of moving. I've sent the department and the college an e-mail each about it, so I presume we'll sort it. Quite happy kinks like this show up now, two months prior to course start.

Is it mainly a college or department matter, do you happen to know?

Edit: I also just realised that I only formally fulfilled my financial conditions in the end of last week. Maybe that could be why.

The student contract comes from your department after you fulfil all conditions of your offer and gets straight to a sent to a central office in the university.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by matt2k8
The student contract comes from your department after you fulfil all conditions of your offer and gets straight to a sent to a central office in the university.

So it's probably the fact that my financial condition was only recently fulfilled then, presumably?
I haven't gotten any e-mails about WebLearn or Solo or anything? Is that something I should contact someone about?

I've had some faff with college registration, but that should all be sorted soon. Could that be why?

The WebLearn thing was sent by my department to me as a pre-induction thing.

Original post by Jack Sheppard
Yes - the email from IT is basically confirmation that your signed contract etc has gone through and your paperwork complete. They don't send any other confirmation!

Oh, so I didn't get it because they haven't got my signed contract.
So it's probably the fact that my financial condition was only recently fulfilled then, presumably?

Yeah, that may be the reason. I also think they do them in batches rather than as soon as people meet their offer, and some departments have only just started doing them (my department received my documentation indicating I met my offer on the 29th of June, but I only got the contract on the 26th of July).
So, the university registration emails are the confirmation that our contracts have been received?
Original post by Sepharadim
So, the university registration emails are the confirmation that our contracts have been received?

I assume so, as they begin 'As you have returned your contract we are now able to provide you with the information you need to activate your Oxford Single Sign-on account and email address.'
Original post by Jack Sheppard
I assume so, as they begin 'As you have returned your contract we are now able to provide you with the information you need to activate your Oxford Single Sign-on account and email address.'

It's so weird. So...nonchalant.
:smile:
I really wish they'd have a more streamlined documentation process. Some stuff to college, some to department, some seemingly elsewhere, and suddenly something randomly pops down in physical mail rather than e-mail...

My previous tuition fee worries have been replaced by a weird sense of doom where I'm convinced I won't be able to attend next year due to accidentally ****ing up bureaucracy.
I mailed back my contract, but managed to lose the sheet where the tracking # was. Guess I'll have to sit back and expect them to have received it :|
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well, and getting ready for Oxford. Im currently in the process of applying for my visa, and was wondering whether any international applicants who received departmental funding can advice me on what visa category subclass we should apply to (There are three; Tier 4 (General) Student, Tier 4 (General) (Sponsored) Student and
Tier 4 (Scholarship))... Thanks in advance!!
Original post by Mebh
Congrats, what are you studying?

MSt in Theology & will be at Wolfson, very pleased.:smile:
Back after an absence of about a month (graduation + travel!), and now starting to worry again about the Oxford situation. I missed an exam and have to retake it sometime next month, so until I do that Oxford can't sign off on my academic conditions (despite the fact that even with a 0 in the exam I've met them). This would probably fine if I didn't have to apply for a Visa!

I've spoken to my department and they said it should be alright even though the deadline for meeting conditions is the 31st of this month. I'm still worried, though, because I feel that, until I have my unconditional offer, Oxford and funding are a mirage that could disappear at any point.

I'm considering calling my department again, and explaining my situation to my college. Is this a good idea?
Original post by kuzelle
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well, and getting ready for Oxford. Im currently in the process of applying for my visa, and was wondering whether any international applicants who received departmental funding can advice me on what visa category subclass we should apply to (There are three; Tier 4 (General) Student, Tier 4 (General) (Sponsored) Student and
Tier 4 (Scholarship))... Thanks in advance!!

It's Tier 4 (General)(Sponsored). There's a lot of useful visa help on this page and a handy pdf to completing the application.
Original post by Historiadora
Back after an absence of about a month (graduation + travel!), and now starting to worry again about the Oxford situation. I missed an exam and have to retake it sometime next month, so until I do that Oxford can't sign off on my academic conditions (despite the fact that even with a 0 in the exam I've met them). This would probably fine if I didn't have to apply for a Visa!

I've spoken to my department and they said it should be alright even though the deadline for meeting conditions is the 31st of this month. I'm still worried, though, because I feel that, until I have my unconditional offer, Oxford and funding are a mirage that could disappear at any point.

I'm considering calling my department again, and explaining my situation to my college. Is this a good idea?

Hey! Congratulations on graduation. I would definitely call both to make sure they understand - they can't help you out if they're unsure what's happening.
Original post by Historiadora

I thought the conditions didn't have to be met until the end of next month?
Question for the body, since I just got my email set up (woo!): do postgrads tend to use their college-domain email address or their department-domain one?
Original post by merqoperatic
Question for the body, since I just got my email set up (woo!): do postgrads tend to use their college-domain email address or their department-domain one?

.....we have two????
:eek::eek::eek:

Or is it just you lucky DPhils....because I only have my college one at the moment.
It's Tier 4 (General)(Sponsored). There's a lot of useful visa help on this page and a handy pdf to completing the application.

Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Random thing that I like about WebLearn:

The header at the top of my Safari browser says: "WebLearn: Welcome: Welcome.

I always feel extra welcome.

I'm going to use my department one because it makes more sense and is easier for people to remember what department I work from than which college I go to. It doesn't make any difference anyway, emails to both address are routed to the same inbox ([email protected]).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending