The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
I think you should give it a go :smile: It's true that statistically your chances are slim, but there are decent number of people who get in with not dissimilar grades. You would need to do very well at the BMAT.

On the other hand, given how competitive Medicine is everywhere (getting four rejections is not rare) then you might not want to take the extra risk that is applying to Oxford.

I'm afraid that unless you are re-taking the IB it would not be possible to proceed with your application since you are not able to meet the standard entry requirement for your chosen course.
Original post by πππ
Are my GCSE grades good enough?
7A*s
2As
1C (English language)
1D(French)
And A in OCR additional maths
I'm really not sure whether to redo English language?
Then this year I'm taking maths, FM and the three sciences

And the course will be maths or physics

Unless you are a non-native speaker, there is no longer any formal requirement for GCSE English (non-native speakers need a B or an equivalent qualification). In the past, candidates were required to have at least a C in English and Maths. Nevertheless, selectors will be able to view your C in English and I'm afraid that it will count against you. My advice would be to re-take English and if there is a valid reason why you underperformed in this GCSE relative to your other exams I would ask your school referee to state this in his/her reference.
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
x

The fact you are determined enough to consider re-taking one A-level and obtained A*A* in your other two A-levels adds some credibility to your case that the B reflects mitigating circumstances. It would help a lot though for the school to provide corroboration in their reference. What worries me about your post is that you are not set on what you wish to study (Law or PPE) and after accepting a firm offer now wish to change direction. One thing that may help make your mind up is to formulate the problem this way: would you be happy tossing a coin to determine your next move - heads: stick with your firm acceptance versus tails: chance an Oxford application? If not then maybe this suggests going through with your original plan is best. I'm not sure how helpful this comment will be - but I don't think the Forum can make a decision like this for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
x

I cannot tell you what to do here but my story might help a bit. I got AAB first time around (few years ago), missing my offers. I decided to take one of my ASs up to A2 and I think Nottingham was the only uni that I contacted that said they would not consider me for law if I reapplied. Of those you mentioned in your post, Ox, UCL and Durham all gave me offers the second time around (of one A; I had not applied to Ox or UCL the previous year), so it definitely can be done.

Best way to mention the illness in my view is through the reference if you can, but this might be hard I guess given you appear not to have kept your school informed. It might be worth getting your doctor to write to your school in this case, and to go from there. If you now have a clinical diagnosis this is definitely worth mentioning. It is better in my view to make the PS negative free if you can. If you apply for law and do well on the LNAT (if you did this last year the extra practice will help you out no end) you should be in a reasonable position for applicatoins this year. One B should not destroy your apps from the outset, especially with the A*s. If you are going for certain careers Oxbridge still helps so your future aspirations might affect whether to ditch your firm this year.
Hello,

I really want to study biological science and potentially at university of oxford. At AS-level I obtained
History - 99%
Biology 92%
Business 95%
Chemistry 88%.

I understand they are good marks and have taken History, biology and chemistry forward with A level predictions of A*A*A* and got 9A* at GCSE. I am Just wondering if anyone else knew anything about biology requirements in more detail for any university and whether it is my best option etc? Also does it matter that I do not have maths?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by joshuathomas1997
Hello,

I really want to study biological science and potentially at university of oxford. At AS-level I obtained
History - 99%
Biology 92%
Business 95%
Chemistry 88%.

I understand they are good marks and have taken History, biology and chemistry forward with A level predictions of A*A*A* and got 9A* at GCSE. I am Just wondering if anyone else knew anything about biology requirements in more detail for any university and whether it is my best option etc? Also does it matter that I do not have maths?

Thanks in advance!

Your grades are great - it doesn't matter that you don't do Maths as although helpful it's not a requirement.

There are no admissions tests or work needed for Biological Sciences - so the interview is incredibly important.

Definitely worth a shot though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, for people who are successful Oxbrige applicants, what GCSEs did you get? How many A*s are needed to apply? I got 5 A*s and 6 As at GCSE (but I've heard you need majority A*s to be considered) and say I do well for my AS levels, do I have a chance at getting in?
Thanks!
I've decided I want to study History and Politics at Oxford.

I received 4 A grades at AS which include;

History (100% UMS/Raw Marks),

Economics A,

Geography A

English Literature A.

For GCSE I received; 2A*2A6B

In terms of Extra-Ciriculars I have/am taking up the following;

- I'm currently writing an EPQ on the philosophical aspect of Political thought on the French Revolution.
- I'm a chairman of my School's debating team
- I'm a Deputy Head Boy.

My main concern is as follow: Due to mitigating circumstances of which I am considering making my referee aware of, I under performed in my GCSE examinations which is currently making me anxious as I approach submitting my application.

The question of to what extent GCSE improves or hinders a application to Oxford has been much debated before, with no particularly accurate answer. And so I would be grateful if any current or past History student in general could give me some well-informed advice.

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello, I want to do PPE at Oxford, I'm currently taking Politics, Economics, History and English Lit. If I achieve, say A*AAB in A2, then would it worth taking a gap year and doing AS in Maths and Critical thinking?

I would be doing more A levels but the college I'm at has limit of only taking 4 A levels.

Thanks. Oh, also how much emphasis do Oxbridge put on gcses? Be honest, but don't over exaggerate, I was told that my a levels were hard, but I'm finding them extremely easy.
Which college in the Oxford university is best for mathematics?
Almost all of them seen to have every facility. I'm so confused as to which one I should choose!
Original post by Ashma15
Which college in the Oxford university is best for mathematics?
Almost all of them seen to have every facility. I'm so confused as to which one I should choose!

Although St. John's gets good results every year and (I think) has something of a reputation for maths, there's definitely no single "good college". All the colleges are amazing.

I would suggest thinking of things that are important to you, eg. a big/small college, location, age of the college, accommodation for all 3 years etc. See which colleges match your preferences and start looking into them. It's a decision based on where you want to be for 3 years essentially :smile:

Did you go to the open day yesterday?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ghostly1010
I've decided I want to study History and Politics at Oxford.

I received 4 A grades at AS which include;

History (100% UMS/Raw Marks),

Economics A,

Geography A

English Literature A.

For GCSE I received; 2A*2A6B

In terms of Extra-Ciriculars I have/am taking up the following;

- I'm currently writing an EPQ on the philosophical aspect of Political thought on the French Revolution.
- I'm a chairman of my School's debating team
- I'm a Deputy Head Boy.

My main concern is as follow: Due to mitigating circumstances of which I am considering making my referee aware of, I under performed in my GCSE examinations which is currently making me anxious as I approach submitting my application.

The question of to what extent GCSE improves or hinders a application to Oxford has been much debated before, with no particularly accurate answer. And so I would be grateful if any current or past History student in general could give me some well-informed advice.

Thanks.

Hey there. I'm not a current or past History student, but I'm applying for History and Politics this October. I think you do not have a decent chance of gaining a place, so don't bother applying at all. If you must, you could apply for History alone, or History along with another subject. But certainly NOT History and Politics. That's just my opinion.

Spoiler

Hi, my new school don't want me to apply to Oxford (but I really want to!)
I want to study Biological Sciences at Jesus College. For GCSE's I got 7A*'s and 3A's. I messed up for AS and got AAAC (the C was in Chemistry and thus I've been predicted a B).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get an interview with AAB predicted? I'm not obsessed with getting in, I'd just really like the chance to have an interview!
Thanks!
Original post by Olivia97
I want to study Biological Sciences at Jesus College. For GCSE's I got 7A*'s and 3A's. I messed up for AS and got AAAC (the C was in Chemistry and thus I've been predicted a B).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get an interview with AAB predicted? I'm not obsessed with getting in, I'd just really like the chance to have an interview!
Thanks!

You mean AAB prediction for A2? I'd have thought it would be unlikely, tbh :frown:
Original post by Olivia97

Thanks!

You need to be predicted A*AA with the A* in Maths or a Science. Without that - they won't consider your application unfortunately!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebecushion
Hi, for people who are successful Oxbrige applicants, what GCSEs did you get? How many A*s are needed to apply? I got 5 A*s and 6 As at GCSE (but I've heard you need majority A*s to be considered) and say I do well for my AS levels, do I have a chance at getting in?
Thanks!

Your grades are fine. There will be plenty with more A*s but also a lot with less :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
You need to be predicted A*AA with the A* in Maths or a Science. Without that - they won't consider your application unfortunately!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, but that's just not true. We do consider applications where the * predicted * grade is less than the standard conditional offer: predicted grades are notoriously inaccurate.

But a candidate would have to convince the tutors they were capable of going on to meet the standard conditional offer. Applying with lower predicted grades is a negative, but it wouldn't automatically be terminal to an application on its own.

It's unlikely a candidate would get in; but not impossible.

If the candidate had already got the grades at A2 that would be a different matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Sorry, but that's just not true. We do consider applications where the * predicted * grade is less than the standard conditional offer: predicted grades are notoriously inaccurate.

But a candidate would have to convince the tutors they were capable of going on to meet the standard conditional offer. Applying with lower predicted grades is a negative, but it wouldn't automatically be terminal to an application on its own.

It's unlikely a candidate would get in; but not impossible.

If the candidate had already got the grades at A2 that would be a different matter.

I stand corrected! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
I stand corrected! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. One of the main reasons we have an account on here is to clear up little misconceptions like this.
I was wondering whether or not it's worth applying to oxford to study chemistry. My gcse point score is 7.1 (2A*, 7A, 1B- I was lazy and didn't know what I wanted to do so didn't work hard :/) and my target min grades at alevel are AAA. I know what degree I now want and have completely changed my work ethic because i want to achieve the highest grades i can

Latest

Trending

Trending