The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh college of art application response 2015

I've applied to 3 courses inside the school of art this year ~ Fine Art, Architecture and jewellery & silver smithing. I have yet to hear back from ucas whither I have been accepted and I am starting to get worried. I just wanted to ask and see if anyone else was on the same boat? I applied to architecture and animation last year and heard back around mid February so as you can imagine i am nervous having not heard back now it's March. I am aware that this is the first year they'll no longer be looking at physical port folios and they now make their decision completely bases on the digital port folio so I am unsure whither this is the reason they are taking so long.. Any way, if anybody has any information it would really be appreciated because I'm starting to get rather freaked out.

Thanks,
worried student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wondering girl
I've applied to 3 courses inside the school of art this year ~ Fine Art, Architecture and jewellery & silver smithing. I have yet to hear back from ucas whither I have been accepted and I am starting to get worried. I just wanted to ask and see if anyone else was on the same boat? I applied to architecture and animation last year and heard back around mid February so as you can imagine i am nervous having not heard back now it's March. I am aware that this is the first year they'll no longer be looking at physical port folios and they now make their decision completely bases on the digital port folio so I am unsure whither this is the reason they are taking so long.. Any way, if anybody has any information it would really be appreciated because I'm starting to get rather freaked out.

Thanks,
worried student
I'm very interested to hear this. Can you give me any more information?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm very interested to hear this. Can you give me any more information?

Same! It is a completely new system this year - they are only looking at the online portfolios for entry on to first year courses. No opportunity to show any thing more than those slides with a few notes. Really hadn't expected it - maybe I didn't see it in all the blurb - but first time I was aware was when confirmation came back. I can now see the statement in ECA application - but I don't remember seeing before. Would love to know more - and know how they process us.
Original post by bayley202
Same! It is a completely new system this year - they are only looking at the online portfolios for entry on to first year courses. No opportunity to show any thing more than those slides with a few notes. Really hadn't expected it - maybe I didn't see it in all the blurb - but first time I was aware was when confirmation came back. I can now see the statement in ECA application - but I don't remember seeing before. Would love to know more - and know how they process us.

Are they not interviewing for second year after a preliminary mini portfolio as they have done for the last six or seven years?
Are they not interviewing for second year after a preliminary mini portfolio as they have done for the last six or seven years?

They are - it is just first year entry that is decided on the mini portfolio
Applicants for First Year entry
If you are applying for first year entry, a decision will be made on your application following mini-portfolio assessment. You will not be asked to submit any further work or attend an Applicant Day. The decision will be transmitted to UCAS in March 2015. Successful applicants will be invited to attend a Post-Offer Visit Day usually held in March and April.

Applicants for Second Year entry
If you are applying for second year entry and are selected to proceed to the next stage of the application process, you will be invited to bring your full portfolio to an Applicant Day for assessment. You will not be interviewed. Full information about the applicant day will be provided in the invitation. The Applicant Days are held between 9 March 13 March 2015.

Just realised - that means that those applying for 2nd year will all know very soon - applicant days for 2nd year entry are 5-13 March - only 5 days away!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
They are - it is just first year entry that is decided on the mini portfolio
Applicants for First Year entry
If you are applying for first year entry, a decision will be made on your application following mini-portfolio assessment. You will not be asked to submit any further work or attend an Applicant Day. The decision will be transmitted to UCAS in March 2015. Successful applicants will be invited to attend a Post-Offer Visit Day usually held in March and April.

Applicants for Second Year entry
If you are applying for second year entry and are selected to proceed to the next stage of the application process, you will be invited to bring your full portfolio to an Applicant Day for assessment. You will not be interviewed. Full information about the applicant day will be provided in the invitation. The Applicant Days are held between 9 March 13 March 2015.

OK, no change for second year, then. I had a feeling that is how it was for first year anyway. Thanks for that.
OK, no change for second year, then. I had a feeling that is how it was for first year anyway. Thanks for that.

Oh - I didn't realise that it was the same as previous years for 1st year entry. Thank you.
Do you think some things have changed?? Timings? So, when you said that your son heard back in early May...was that for first year entry? Cos the email I got said we'd know by 31 March - in or out. And it looks like applicant days are in early March for 2nd years. Or are the dates just a guide and we should expect to wait a little longer? Getting nervous.
Oh - I didn't realise that it was the same as previous years for 1st year entry. Thank you.
Do you think some things have changed?? Timings? So, when you said that your son heard back in early May...was that for first year entry? Cos the email I got said we'd know by 31 March - in or out. And it looks like applicant days are in early March for 2nd years. Or are the dates just a guide and we should expect to wait a little longer? Getting nervous.

No, my son was second year entry. They do say they try to reply by March 31st, but in practice, they don't manage it. They said that to him as well. I haven't had many students apply for first year because they usually do a foundation first, and that qualifies them for second year entry. I can only think of one, and she was turned down quite early on.
No, my son was second year entry. They do say they try to reply by March 31st, but in practice, they don't manage it. They said that to him as well. I haven't had many students apply for first year because they usually do a foundation first, and that qualifies them for second year entry. I can only think of one, and she was turned down quite early on.

Thank you for replying Carnationlilyrose. Really appreciate it. Seems there's nothing else to do but wait it out. I've got all my other offers in (4 degree courses & 3 Foundation), but as is always the way I imagine... this is the one I want. If I don't get it, I will prob do a foundation and reapply to ECA next year for second year entry. Back to checking the UCAS track updates. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for replying Carnationlilyrose. Really appreciate it. Seems there's nothing else to do but wait it out. I've got all my other offers in (4 degree courses & 3 Foundation), but as is always the way I imagine... this is the one I want. If I don't get it, I will prob do a foundation and reapply to ECA next year for second year entry. Back to checking the UCAS track updates. Thanks for your help.

No prob. Tbh, you probably have a much better chance with a foundation regardless of natural talent as it helps you channel your efforts in one direction. Good luck.
Reply 10
Just letting people know that my daughter enquired regarding applicant day offers for 2nd year illustration. She was told that all applicant day letters for art went out last week and it was unlikely she had been successful. Rejections will be on UCAS in the next week or so.
Reply 11
Original post by Shazzer
Just letting people know that my daughter enquired regarding applicant day offers for 2nd year illustration. She was told that all applicant day letters for art went out last week and it was unlikely she had been successful. Rejections will be on UCAS in the next week or so.

Oh dear, I am sorry.

I know it doesn't help in any way, but the admission stats for Edinburgh show the course does have ridiculously low rates of offers - http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.135305!/fileManager/Final%202013%20for%20web.pdf. I hope she isn't too upset, and has some offers for other courses that she wants. It does feel unnecessarily cruel to send out offers weeks before rejections (unless there is a chance that the rejections might turn into offers).

I was going to post the item below that I found on their website, to try to reassure people that it all takes a long time and they may get good news in the next few weeks. It seems a bit late now and possibly irrelevant.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/after-you-apply

How long will it take?
In high-demand subject areas, we may hold applications from suitably qualified candidates until we have received and considered all the applications submitted by the deadline.
While we appreciate that this is an anxious time, we aim to inform you of our decision as quickly as possible. However, it is likely that you will not receive a final decision from us until the end of March.
All decisions about on-time applications will be made by the UCAS deadline of 9 May.
Reply 12
Original post by bb193
Oh dear, I am sorry.

I know it doesn't help in any way, but the admission stats for Edinburgh show the course does have ridiculously low rates of offers - http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.135305!/fileManager/Final%202013%20for%20web.pdf. I hope she isn't too upset, and has some offers for other courses that she wants. It does feel unnecessarily cruel to send out offers weeks before rejections (unless there is a chance that the rejections might turn into offers).

I was going to post the item below that I found on their website, to try to reassure people that it all takes a long time and they may get good news in the next few weeks. It seems a bit late now and possibly irrelevant.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/after-you-apply

Thank you. We knew her chances were slim as she's a very traditional artist. They want contemporary artists .She also got rejected for Leeds CofA too but an unconditional for Huddersfield, so all is good she's a bit of a home bird so wanted somewhere close. Edinburgh would have been 'my' choice as they offer a £7,000 a year bursary for English students
Curious to know when this bursary for English students started. We got nothing, nor even a hint!
Reply 14
Curious to know when this bursary for English students started. We got nothing, nor even a hint!

It is heavily influenced by household income - http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-funding/undergraduate/uk-eu/bursaries/ruk.

Of course. Didn't think the question through carefully! Sorry!
Reply 16
I work full time and earn no where near £25000 lol! If I did, we wouldn't get any bursaries. Huddersfield offer an academic scholarship, so she'll get that, but not much more x
Reply 17

I just read through this and it annoys me so much! For Design they offered 248 places and of those only 145 accepted their offer. Surely it would make sense to find out early if Edinburgh is likely to be their first choice? Lots of talented artists are missing out on their university of choice :/
Original post by Shazzer

I just read through this and it annoys me so much! For Design they offered 248 places and of those only 145 accepted their offer. Surely it would make sense to find out early if Edinburgh is likely to be their first choice? Lots of talented artists are missing out on their university of choice :/
I suspect that my son's offer on May 7th shows that this is likely to be the case and that they keep the waiting list open as long as possible.
Reply 19
I suspect that my son's offer on May 7th shows that this is likely to be the case and that they keep the waiting list open as long as possible.

Had your son already had his applicant day? We aren't waiting for offers, we're waiting to see if she will be invited to an applicant day; the next step in the process x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending