The Student Room Group

Medicine at Oxford

So, I've got an offer (pretty much unconditional) to study Medicine at Oxford.

And I would be really grateful if some of the current students could answer those questions:

1) Do you feel like good drawing skills would help you with note-taking in the first year? (For example, in anatomy classes)

2) If I'm not a native speaker, now much time should I spend familiarizing myself with English anatomical terminology, if any?

3) Is the course heavy in Chemistry? Are there any General Chemistry components or is it Biochem only?

4) What is the workload like in the first couple of terms?

5) Any general comments about the nature of the course :smile:

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evazilber57

And I would be really grateful if some of the current students could answer those questions:

1) Do you feel like good drawing skills would help you with note-taking in the first year? (For example, in anatomy classes)

2) If I'm not a native speaker, now much time should I spend familiarizing myself with English anatomical terminology, if any?

3) Is the course heavy in Chemistry? Are there any General Chemistry components or is it Biochem only?

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1: Not really - we don't draw any anatomy. We draw some histology and sometimes a fun supervisor will give out chocolate (... or copy of their recent paper) for the best drawings but barely anybody cares enough to put much effort, considering how boring histology is. Also, you can draw in essays/exams as diagrams are often useful - but my tutor would call us out if our pictures were too artsy, as it'd be a complete waste of time in an actual exam.

2: Anatomical terminology isn't that important preclinically. Oxford aren't very heavy on the anatomy side of things at all. Plus, our examinations for anatomy are all just pretty easy MCQs so as long as you can recognise the names then it should be fine. A good use of English is far far more important for ensuring that your essays are of a high quality (some tutors may nitpick on grammar/spelling etc). Once you get to clinical years you might be required to know more functional anatomy but I'm sure you'll just pick it up as you gain increased exposure.

3: No not heavy on chemistry at all. And after 1st year everyone basically forgets all the biochemistry too. Sometimes they will throw some random chemical equations at you during lectures, but most people are just nonplussed and ignore it.

4: Very heavy at first but you get used to it very quickly. You'll probably have 2-3 essays a week which will be the main workload. Practicals, anatomy, statistics, etc aren't quite so difficult - just a bit time consuming.

5: Not really sure what to say about general comments... there's a lot that could be said haha :tongue:
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply!

Original post by manic_fuzz
1: Not really - we don't draw any anatomy. We draw some histology and sometimes a fun supervisor will give out chocolate (... or copy of their recent paper) for the best drawings but barely anybody cares enough to put much effort, considering how boring histology is. Also, you can draw in essays/exams as diagrams are often useful - but my tutor would call us out if our pictures were too artsy, as it'd be a complete waste of time in an actual exam.

2: Anatomical terminology isn't that important preclinically. Oxford aren't very heavy on the anatomy side of things at all. Plus, our examinations for anatomy are all just pretty easy MCQs so as long as you can recognise the names then it should be fine. A good use of English is far far more important for ensuring that your essays are of a high quality (some tutors may nitpick on grammar/spelling etc). Once you get to clinical years you might be required to know more functional anatomy but I'm sure you'll just pick it up as you gain increased exposure.

Okay, thank you, that's reasonable and kind of what I expected, just wanted to make sure :smile:

3: No not heavy on chemistry at all. And after 1st year everyone basically forgets all the biochemistry too. Sometimes they will throw some random chemical equations at you during lectures, but most people are just nonplussed and ignore it.

That's a pity, actually, as I really like Chemistry. But hopefully there is some way to do a bit more of Chem/Biochem, like doing my 3rd year project in a related field, right? Btw, is the course flexible at all? Are there modules/courses that we choose to study?

4: Very heavy at first but you get used to it very quickly. You'll probably have 2-3 essays a week which will be the main workload. Practicals, anatomy, statistics, etc aren't quite so difficult - just a bit time consuming.

Scientific essays sound really intimidating right now, I've never written anything like that in my life. But it's exciting as well, not only learning new things, but also learning them in a new way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once you get to clinical years you might be required to know more functional anatomy

No - less relevant if anything. Some surgeons might expect you to know a lot like they did but you just shrug and say you were't taught much anatomy and they look confused and disappointed but then nothing else happens. It doesn't come up in exams.
Thank you for your reply!

Okay, thank you, that's reasonable and kind of what I expected, just wanted to make sure :smile:

That's a pity, actually, as I really like Chemistry. But hopefully there is some way to do a bit more of Chem/Biochem, like doing my 3rd year project in a related field, right? Btw, is the course flexible at all? Are there modules/courses that we choose to study?

Scientific essays sound really intimidating right now, I've never written anything like that in my life. But it's exciting as well, not only learning new things, but also learning them in a new way!

I suppose it's possible to do something in a biochemistry area as you can arrange your own projects (rather than using the centralised system which the majority use). In 1st/2nd year there's no flexibility, in 3rd year you arrange your project (or are assigned it after ranking a few), your extended essay, your general taught topic (out of 5 choices) + can do supplementary subjects in chemical pharmacology or history + philosophy of science. In clinical years there are short student selected components which have a lot more variety and are often more clinically orientated (although there are some obscure ones like relating to science fiction or ancient medicine etc).

Yeah, it's difficult to imagine before you get here. Your first essay or few will almost definitely be awful but you'll pick it up really quickly and learn how to churn them out in no time :smile:

Original post by nexttime
No - less relevant if anything. Some surgeons might expect you to know a lot like they did but you just shrug and say you were't taught much anatomy and they look confused and disappointed but then nothing else happens. It doesn't come up in exams.

Perfect, I hate anatomy, dreading PCA :vom:

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no chance in hell you've got such offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most anatomical terms are in Latin/Latin-derived words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I suppose it's possible to do something in a biochemistry area as you can arrange your own projects (rather than using the centralised system which the majority use). In 1st/2nd year there's no flexibility, in 3rd year you arrange your project (or are assigned it after ranking a few), your extended essay, your general taught topic (out of 5 choices) + can do supplementary subjects in chemical pharmacology or history + philosophy of science. In clinical years there are short student selected components which have a lot more variety and are often more clinically orientated (although there are some obscure ones like relating to science fiction or ancient medicine etc).

Yeah, it's difficult to imagine before you get here. Your first essay or few will almost definitely be awful but you'll pick it up really quickly and learn how to churn them out in no time :smile:

Perfect, I hate anatomy, dreading PCA :vom:

Thank you, that sounds good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by samsamdragonman
There is no chance in hell you've got such offer

You mean "pretty much unconditional"? Well, my condition is "proof of grades already achieved" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Most anatomical terms are in Latin/Latin-derived words.

Which term is used is also heavily dependent on the region though, i was surprised to learn.

I had always thought that the reason we use lots of long words in medicine is that we are very forward-thinking and its some kind of international language amongst doctors. Actually that's complete BS and literally the only reason is so that we sound and feel superior.
Which term is used is also heavily dependent on the region though, i was surprised to learn.

I had always thought that the reason we use lots of long words in medicine is that we are very forward-thinking and its some kind of international language amongst doctors. Actually that's complete BS and literally the only reason is so that we sound and feel superior.

This is accurate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uUH34mNUNs
Reply 11
Hey guys, if anyine here is already persuing medicine in Oxford, what were your grades and how was the interview for entering? Also can someone plz ouline the fee structure? Thanx :smile:
Original post by mahi.ik
Hey guys, if anyine here is already persuing medicine in Oxford, what were your grades

This shows the entry standards for medicine at Oxford.

and how was the interview for entering?

Multiple interviews focus on science-based questions to test your ability to think logically, with some basic ethics thrown in as well.

Also can someone plz ouline the fee structure? Thanx :smile:

International or domestic?

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What GCSEs and A-levels did you get?

Also, did you have a lot of work experience?
Reply 14
International or domestic?
International, i read the website but i dont quite get the fee structure so i want to know from someone who is actually doing it, also the grades, i want to see what subjects to take because i dont know of i should take phy in A levels because it is not compulsory ... thanks
Original post by mahi.ik

International, i read the website but i dont quite get the fee structure so i want to know from someone who is actually doing it,

You pay tuition fees and college fees, in addition to your accommodation and living costs.

...also the grades, i want to see what subjects to take because i dont know of i should take phy in A levels because it is not compulsory ... thanks

This information, including the proportion of applicants and successful applicants taking physics, is available from the link I just gave you.
Reply 16
You pay tuition fees and college fees, in addition to your accommodation and living costs.

This information, including the proportion of applicants and successful applicants taking physics, is available from the link I just gave you.

Thankyou :smile:
Hi guys,

I want to apply to Oxford for Medicine, but I'm worried about 'wasting' one of my options. My GCSEs were 9A*s, 2As and a B which seems to be below the average, and I'm not sure how well my As exams are going, (C2 was ridiculously hard!). Is there any point in applying? Apart from schoolwork, I've done an EPQ related to Medicine, read 4 'medicine-y' books which were actually really interesting, and had work experience/volunteering in a care home, hospital, GP surgery, and psychiatric home. Obviously I haven't taken the BMAT yet, but I've done a past paper but without marks for the essay question I'm not sure how that section will go either! The first sections have gone quite well I think; I got 8.6 and 6.7 but of course it wasn't the real thing and so I was level-headed and not as worried about the outcome!

Cheers!
PS. Honestly, I'm not looking for sugar-coated advice or praise... I want to know if there's a chance that I will be asked to interview :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by HannahC-H
Hi guys,

I want to apply to Oxford for Medicine, but I'm worried about 'wasting' one of my options. My GCSEs were 9A*s, 2As and a B which seems to be below the average, and I'm not sure how well my As exams are going, (C2 was ridiculously hard!). Is there any point in applying? Apart from schoolwork, I've done an EPQ related to Medicine, read 4 'medicine-y' books which were actually really interesting, and had work experience/volunteering in a care home, hospital, GP surgery, and psychiatric home. Obviously I haven't taken the BMAT yet, but I've done a past paper but without marks for the essay question I'm not sure how that section will go either! The first sections have gone quite well I think; I got 8.6 and 6.7 but of course it wasn't the real thing and so I was level-headed and not as worried about the outcome!

Cheers!
PS. Honestly, I'm not looking for sugar-coated advice or praise... I want to know if there's a chance that I will be asked to interview :redface:

Hiii, I have an offer for Oxford Medicine for this September. I would say to definitely have a go and apply, because you never know what might happen! I mean, I had all A*s at GCSE and did not do well in the BMAT at all, but somehow ended up with an offer. However, for now, just try your best in all of your AS levels to give yourself the best possible chance when it comes to applying anywhere in October - Oxford isn't the only uni out there! :smile:
Reply 19

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you get in???? I really really really want to go there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending