The Student Room Group

How to make a personal statement for a Biology course stand out?

I am am currently off for summer and know i need to do things to be able to write in my personal statement but also to help with Biology. Does anyone know where i could find a list of books to read to help with A2 biology/ show i am reading outside the syllabus? Should i be visiting lectures and things on biology/ where do i find out about this kinda stuff?

Basically my question is what can i start to do now to make my PS stand out while i still have time, but specifically for biology if anyone else has applied to that course!!
hi, I am also currently writing personal statement for biology so we're sort of on the same boat. I started mine by generally explaining why I want to study biology at degree level and also put my favourite module out of the course (as this shows you have researched the actual programme). Then I followed it with my A-levels and tried to connect the skills I achieved to biology degree (i.e. lab skills, presentation skills etc.). Next are the outside readings I did such as books, new scientist etc. and what I have learned from it.
I think you can do a bit more research of the degree so that you will have an idea what skills are they trying to find in an applicant. Try also reading personal statements online and get some ideas. For outside reading I think you don't need to read all pages of the books just get the main idea that they entail. Also, think of exrtacurricular activities you have done in the past that can be related to biology such as trips and volunteering. Try to put the transferable skills you got from 'em. Just keep in mind that you are answering the question 'why you are suited for this course?' and you will surely get offers from unis. I asked Oxford admission tutors when I went to UCAS convention about personal statement and they said try to minimise extra-curriculars and focus more on academics, as biology is really an academic subject (about 2/3 of academics). Good luck to us :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ralphsamarista
hi, I am also currently writing personal statement for biology so we're sort of on the same boat. I started mine by generally explaining why I want to study biology at degree level and also put my favourite module out of the course (as this shows you have researched the actual programme). Then I followed it with my A-levels and tried to connect the skills I achieved to biology degree (i.e. lab skills, presentation skills etc.). Next are the outside readings I did such as books, new scientist etc. and what I have learned from it.

Wow awesome reply thank you so much! good luck to you my friend! I am currently studying AQA biology, what kind of books outside of your course have you read? can you remember any of their specific names? Is new scientist a magazine or?
I read The grestest show on earth by Richard Dawkins but tbh I skipped some pages as I found some quiet boring haha! I'm now reading Junk DNA and liking it. Go to your local library and find books in biology/science section and you'll find one. New scientist is a magazine containing current on news on general science but they have lots on biology too. It will be impressive if you can follow news on any advances on biology (e.g. genetics, alternative cures for diseases) as admission tutors love it. TBH it is really dreadful writing PS but yeah still need to get on with it. by the way I'm doing OCR biology mate
Reply 5
Ok awesome, i think il check those books out! thanks for the advise man this is awesome. I will do. Do you make notes on new scientist/ when reading your books? I think OCR and AQA will have many similarities so this advice is still awesome!!!
Thanks man. Yeah I take some notes especially with new scientist. I also read reviews of the books online to get kind of understand it more simply. If you don't mind what subjects are you taking?
Reply 7
ok cool cool, i take biology geography history and RS and am planning to drop history for A2.
You should be reading around the subject. Have a look at courser structures and reading lists to get an idea of what will be taught and read around those subjects. Also have a look for lectures and summer schools you can attend or watch online. Please do not spend too much time talking about extra curriculars. Only use about 100 words for that and focus on relevant transferable skills gained. Please do not talk about your A levels. It's a waste of space and will be mentioned elsewhere on your application. Also, everyone doing the same A levels will have done similar things. Only mention them if you have something specific to talk about in relation to your interest in the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending